MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
Wideners

Thread: Spencer in 45 colt load suggestions?

Boolit Master

Spencer in 45 colt load suggestions?

Son has got hisself a Chappy Spencer 45 colt (not my cup of tea but he loves it) function is ok, he hit a few things with it, lots of blowby with the few black loads hes done, has a couple hundred 200grain slugs lubed for smokeyless, gonna anneal the emptys and get a mold for BP but in the meantime - any suggestions for a smokeless load - (simple please - no fillers n such) we have half a wheelbarrow of Red Dot but leery of it meself. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Trailboss is a real good powder in the .45 Colt. It is a dirty powder, but if you are already shooting black, won't be a problem for you. Trailboss is shaped like little donuts and takes up a lot of space in the case. Manufacturer basically says fill the case and as long as you can seat the bullet on it, you are good to go. I shoot a 230 grain TC bullet in front of 5.5 grains of Trailboss. IMR's reloading directions can be found here: https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...-loads-r_p.pdf

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hp246 View Post
    Trailboss is a real good powder in the .45 Colt. It is a dirty powder, but if you are already shooting black, won't be a problem for you. Trailboss is shaped like little donuts and takes up a lot of space in the case. Manufacturer basically says fill the case and as long as you can seat the bullet on it, you are good to go. I shoot a 230 grain TC bullet in front of 5.5 grains of Trailboss. IMR's reloading directions can be found here: https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/upl...-loads-r_p.pdf
    Thanks
    Found out today its got a 1:16 twist so gonna be lookin for a heavy boolit - 44/40 version has the slow 1:38 twist - sometimes wonder whose drivin the bus in these factorys !!!!

I have shot maybe 25 rounds of 45 colt, all loaded with 230 gr tc cast and 6.5 grains of Red Dot.

Just don't try to hot rod them or expect them to do what they won't.

Fast powder to go slow, slow powder to go fast.

Stick with moderate loads, watch your self and techniques while loading powder. Do a flashlight test to double check for double charge.

I've loaded and shot a lot in the last 4 years and almost all of it has been with Red Dot.

Boolit Buddy
    If ya can, get some American Pioneer FFFG. Not true BP, not real smokey-less. Regular lube works. Just put in enough powder so the slug compresses powder, or just touches powder works. I shoot similar loads in my cowboy action rifles, works just fine.
    Can't tell you about the Spencer, mine is a .56-50. I do load APP in it like the ones I describe for the .45 works well.
    The Spencer is a hoot to shoot, but it's a workout. Not real fast, but lots of "Style" point to be sure.
    Knarley
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Knarley View Post
    If ya can, get some American Pioneer FFFG. Not true BP, not real smokey-less. Regular lube works. Just put in enough powder so the slug compresses powder, or just touches powder works. I shoot similar loads in my cowboy action rifles, works just fine.
    Can't tell you about the Spencer, mine is a .56-50. I do load APP in it like the ones I describe for the .45 works well.
    The Spencer is a hoot to shoot, but it's a workout. Not real fast, but lots of "Style" point to be sure.
    Knarley
    Knarley
    Dont know whether we can source that Pioneer but we have some of the cleanest burning black - I neck annealed his first lot of emptys yesterday - if we can stop the blowback the gun will function really sweet - now I have found the twist info we have some direction on that - 250 grain pill will carry more lube and should shoot better - the problems will go away pretty quick with this one I reckon. Yr right - its a hoot to shoot - and classy lookin.
    thanks
    Joe