WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it dangerous to down load 20ga?

Boolit Mold
    Useful links:
    Alliant Reloading Data
    Hodgdon Reloading Data

As far as shotgun reloading is concerned, typically you will see load data with 1150 fps or higher. Can't say I've reloaded 20 gauge, but use caution when deviating from published data. Especially when deviating above or below the extremes of published data.

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    I load 3/4 oz shot for my 12 gauge for skeet and 16 yard trap. I shoot thousands of these every year in my Remington 1100 gas operated shotgun. The recoil is negligible or maybe about as much as an AR-15. My loads chronograph at 1300 fps (to get a good even pattern) and break the clays as well as any 1-1/8 oz load so long as I point the gun in the right direction when I pull the trigger. If I miss, I doubt that 2 ounces of shot would bail me out.

You want to try to stay in the 9,000-11,000 psi range for a clean consistent burn of the powder. Much lower than 8000 psi and the shots will be smokey and the velocities will be all over the place. For me personally, 18-19g (depending on the powder) is needed to meet this criteria and the gas generated is more than enough to operate the gas action on my shotgun.
    I've been using the 3/4 loads for skeet in 12 ga and shooting consistent 24's. In 20 ga been using a Green Dot load as well. Both in 1100's, you say yours have recoil? I didn't know they did that!
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12