Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it dangerous to down load 20ga?

Boolit Master

Is it dangerous to down load 20ga?

Can 20 ga shot shells powder be reduced to lighten recoil ?

If so how much? say from typical 1200fps to 900
    talking no autos so cycling is not a problem

Banned
    Hello Turtlezx, you can safely cut the powder charge 2 to 3 gr and make it easier on the shoulder.

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

When you reduce the powder charge you lower the height of the load and may cause problems with a fold crimp.

BB

Boolit Master
    true biker
    when i find the power charge i like ill adjust the shot bushing to the correct hight looking for 3/4oz may need to add filler also

What I had use for filler with reduced loads in shotgun ,I put cards below the shot in the wad till I got the height I wanted.What I do it is use a gasket hole punch and cut my cards from cracker box to the size i need and just add or take off what I need until I get what I need,Then if you want to get wads to not add cards you will know what you need.Or just go with the cards and not worry about the different wads.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    trap good idea have a gasket punch but iam out of crackers OH NO

Reducing the powder charge also risks letting the wad base contact the shell base causing a squib load, poor powder ignition, and a wad stuck in the barrel. Look for light loads in a published shot shell manual. They are there and safe. I had an old shotshell reloader that part of the powder charge sometimes failed to entirely drop in the base of the shell. In effect creating a reduced load.

Finally messed up a good 20 ga pump gun in the heat of a dove shoot when the first wad lodged 6 in from the end of the barrel. The gun was my first shotgun and sits in the safe to this day 33 years later to remind me to pay attention to each shot.

Boolit Master

Recoil is reduced in 2 ways, reducing shot weight or lowering velocity. Here are some 3/4 oz loads that are minimal recoil. http://www.claybusterwads.com/index....data-cb1075-20
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    thanx for the chart that helps

Boolit Master

I use a Cheerio for a space filler under the shot in the wad cup as needed
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Actually, recoil is reduced by either lowering pressure or cutting the weight of the shot.

Get your Reloading information from a manual. Both ALLIANT & HODGDON will send you a free booklet full of pressure tested data. HODGDON Booklet also covers WINCHESTER & IMR Powders. Just go to their Website's, and ask.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Moderator Emeritus
    Reduce the shot weight and get the appropriate wad for that shot charge so no filler is needed. Different wads for 3/4, 7/8, 1, and 1 1/8 oz shot charge. There may be a 5/8 oz charge also but I have never looked for it.

Boolit Master
    got 3/4oz wads on the way shouldnt require much tweeking from there

Boolit Man
    I used the claybuster wads and data Hogtamer posted. Light loads that my 8yr old son could comfortably shoot.

Yes, you can reduce loads. It is best to find a published recipe. I put together a modest powered 325 grain (shot) load for my small statured daughter to use in 20 gauge.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

Get on Alliants web site, they and Hogdon used to have reduced and 3/4 oz loads listed in their manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    trap good idea have a gasket punch but iam out of crackers OH NO
    I also use the cards that I cut for make shot shell for my 38/357, also 44 mag and 327 too and in my 10 and 12 and 410. What ever called for a overshot card that I use one on that or powder I use 2 cards.I make sure they are press in with a flat punch or a wood dowel.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Green dot is the powder to use , fluffy & easy to ignite. I use a mec 22 bushing for 13.2 gr .
    Now the hulls . WW AA hulls has the least volume, thicker & the base is a bit higher , this helps with stack height.
    I use a cb1078 wad & stack .5" dia cards from regular card board until shot is up enuff to give flat crimps.
    I insert the cards in the wad before seating the the wad so as not to have to fight the hull.

Don`t go no liter than 13gr of greendot it`ll get inconsistent & muzzle reports will sound different shot to shot (bloopers & stuck wads are possible)

Don`t put cards under the wad ,they may hang in the barrel, I had 1 out of 10 to hangup.

Don`t go liter than 5/8oz , again the ignition/burn will get inconsistent.

I to have a daughter that`s recoil sensitive & have tinkered with reduced loads in the 20 ga.

Harbor Freight has hollow punch sets as well as plug cutters that work well for our purpose.

GP100man
    GP100man

Hogtamer
    Recoil is reduced in 2 ways, reducing shot weight or lowering velocity. Here are some 3/4 oz loads that are minimal recoil. http://www.claybusterwads.com/index....data-cb1075-20
    Walks
    Actually, recoil is reduced by either lowering pressure or cutting the weight of the shot.

Get your Reloading information from a manual. Both ALLIANT & HODGDON will send you a free booklet full of pressure tested data. HODGDON Booklet also covers WINCHESTER & IMR Powders. Just go to their Website's, and ask.
    I am on my my joe of the morning and still waking up or trying. Ehmmm, sounds like a debate. I'd have to think about that one, especially when perceived recoil is possible to the individual shooter.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

I load 3/4 oz shot for my 12 gauge for skeet and 16 yard trap. I shoot thousands of these every year in my Remington 1100 gas operated shotgun. The recoil is negligible or maybe about as much as an AR-15. My loads chronograph at 1300 fps (to get a good even pattern) and break the clays as well as any 1-1/8 oz load so long as I point the gun in the right direction when I pull the trigger. If I miss, I doubt that 2 ounces of shot would bail me out.

You want to try to stay in the 9,000-11,000 psi range for a clean consistent burn of the powder. Much lower than 8000 psi and the shots will be smokey and the velocities will be all over the place. For me personally, 18-19g (depending on the powder) is needed to meet this criteria and the gas generated is more than enough to operate the gas action on my shotgun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast