Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: 577/450 MH Adventure, and questions

577/450 MH Adventure, and questions

I have done a fair amount of research and internet digging to find information about loading the 577/450 with Black Powder, and ive found a lot of useful information and a lot of conflicting information.

lets start with what ive done so far, my first 20 rounds were Cases made from 577 Nitro Express with 70Grn of 2F Goex, 6Grn of Dacron, topped with a .470" 480Grn Boolit cast from a CBE Mould lubed with SPG. These Shot Great from a accuracy standpoint, Fouling stayed soft, and everything cleaned up easily.

So ive got it all worked out there, but i have a lot of questions and other things id like to try, mostly to try to tame down the recoil a bit as the wife has taken a liking to the MkIV and the current loads really push her around.

#1 I only have 20 of converted 577 nitro cases and id like to transition to 24 Gauge Shells for cost reasons, ive converted a few of the 24 Gauge shells and it is immediately obvious that the case volume is much larger. Will this cause a Noticeable difference in Pressure/ Felt recoil if i retain the same 70Grn load and just use more filler? or is it not enough to make a difference?

#2 Im currently using 2F powder if i swap to 1F powder will that allow me to use "less" of a charge and still have the same volume? or at the end of the day is it just the same either way?

#3 How far can i Reduce a BP load with filler? i see some people say 70% of capacity.

Any Data, Information, or Stories are greatly appreciated

Im going to have to buy myself a Mk.II to make up for the Mk.IV my wife has claimed..

Boolit Master
    Lots of info on the British Militaria Firearms forum on reloading and case forming.

Boolit Mold
    The most effective recoil reduction I got was a slip on limbsaver. If you go to goex 1f or O.E. 1 1/2f the felt recoil won't be as snappy. I run full boat 85gn most of the time in the magtech formed brass because it comes up into the neck a little.
    A few tips. After about 10 rounds it will get hot and the point of impact will change from the fouling. Set it on the bench till its cool enough to touch without cursing. Run a wet baby wipe torn into about 4 or 5 pieces down the barrel. then a dry patch.
    Kapok... if you buy a one pound bag it will never empty. I've loaded about a thousand rounds and the bag is still full.
    If you use Kapok, the little cloud of fibers floating out of the smoke looks neat.
    The MTM 100 round twelve guage box works great.
    If you get another one they will breed in the gun safe.

Boolit Master

If you want to try Kapok, I will send you a lifetime's supply for the cost of postage. That also goes for anyone else that wants some.
    I got a 10lb box for a Martini match I ran about 10 years ago. Everyone took some home and it doesn't look like the box has been touched and I've given plenty away over the 10 years or so since that match.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Thanks for the responses, i posted my question on the British military Forum and got some good responses as well.

ill definitely be putting a recoil pad on the thing, and 1F powder was universally recommended .

They recommended Foam backing rod as filler for loads all the way down to 55Grns of 1F, and apparently they have been using foam for a very long time.

Thanks for the Offer Boz330 ill keep it in mind if i decide Kapok is the way to go. Maybe 10Lb was a bit much?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jugulater View Post
    #3 How far can i Reduce a BP load with filler? i see some people say 70% of capacity.

Any Data, Information, or Stories are greatly appreciated
    I load a 500 gr boolit over cork and 55 grains of Goex in my 45-70 for a mild target load. Groups 2-3" at 100, probably would shoot better than that if I'd get serious about it.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Bob, that is a very kind offer and thankfully pretty typical of very supportive Cast Boolits members.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    For even more felt recoil reduction for your wife you might go with the slip on and either a shooting jacket which has a pad or one of the PAST recoil shield pads which can be strapped on the person. Also there's a reason the Brits use a stand-up "bench", far easier on the shoulder than sitting at the bench leaning over the rifle. You could make a box to sit on the bench to raise the rifle to the correct height.
    Ed

CW3 USA (Ret)
    VFW Life
    American Legion
    DAV Life
    NRA Benefactor
    TX State Rifle Assn Life
    SAF Life
    NY State Rifle and Pistol Assn Senior Member because I don't have to fight that fight in TX
    JPFO Member
    GOA Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed in North Texas View Post
    For even more felt recoil reduction for your wife you might go with the slip on and either a shooting jacket which has a pad or one of the PAST recoil shield pads which can be strapped on the person. Also there's a reason the Brits use a stand-up "bench", far easier on the shoulder than sitting at the bench leaning over the rifle. You could make a box to sit on the bench to raise the rifle to the correct height.
    Ed
    I made a stand up bench for shooting at home with my sharps - best idea I had in years !
    When I stand straight up the bench top is about 2inches below the bottom of my rib cage - its portable - made it with pipe legs and did cut a couple inches off the legs after the first session - too high is not good and a couple inches makes all the difference. I can shoot at least as well off it as any other position and ya dont get thumped!