Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Gun value questions???? Python & Black hawk

Boolit Buddy

Gun value questions???? Python & Black hawk

So I have a buddy who is getting on and looking to sell a few guns he offered them to me for a few hundred bucks.
    1) 1917 mauser Luger 8" barrel.
    2) 1968 Colt python 4" barrel nickel with original box 300 rounds perfect condition.
    3) 1976 Ruger black hawk 7" 44mag blue engraved with made in the 200th year of our country liberty. No mag rounds ever shot.
    This is all from memory and I know the the python is worth far more.
    So if you have any ideas Don and his wife would be thankful.
    Thank you.

Boolit Man
    The Pythons are selling for thousands of dollars these days. A 4" Nickel is one of the less common ones. I would sign up for Gunbroker account for free. Search "Completed Items" in Advanced menu to get an idea what these guns are currently selling for.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Depending on condition, if it has the box and papers, the Python could fetch $2,000-$3,600+. The market has gone a bit soft, but prices are still high.
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 07-30-2018 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Offers to buy not allowed, even tongue in cheek.

Boolit Master
    I'm no expert on Lugers, but I routinely see them sell for well over the $1000 mark. Gunboards has a pretty large, knowledgeable base of collectors for every type of gun you can imagine. They know a LOT about Lugers.

The Blackhawk is probably not worth much more than a standard one.

You should have bought them. If his offer is still good, give him twice what he's asking. All of us dream of the dusty $100 Corvette in the barn; you've been offered the same scenario.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

python if in decent shape is over 2k all day, luger depending on specifics over 1000, and the ruger somewhere between 3 and 5 hundred. .

Boolit Buddy
    I just don't have it in me to take advantage of the old guy.
    All 3 of these are in flawless condition boxes papers ECT.
    I rooted around gun broker found no ruger like his the python 3 to 5 grand and the luger about $1000.
    Suggested he put them on consignment at the lgs.

Boolit Master
    If the artillery Luger is unmolested it could easily bring $2500. To the Luger collectors, any change not matter how small will drastically effect the price.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dadswickedammo View Post
    I rooted around gun broker found no ruger like his the python 3 to 5 grand and the luger about $1000.
    That is a great way for him to receive 20% of value.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

All of us HONEST LGS thank you for your vote of confidence!

Boolit Grand Master
    If indeed that Luger is a Mauser, then it is a parts gun, not an original. Mauser made no Artillery Lugers in 1917. They did not start making Lugers until the 1930's. If it is an Erfurt or DWM, then it may be original. I know this because I spent big dollars back in the day to purchase a Navy Model, that turned out to be a re-barreled WWII Mauser parts gun worth about a third what I paid.
    Sometimes education is expensive.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

You beat me to it, no Mauser Artillerys. The starting price for original Artillerys in decent shape is
    $2500. The most common 4" is a thousand. I always wanted a 6" but never came across a deal
    on one. I wouldn't be surprised if Luger is worth as much or more than Python. The Ruger SBH
    isn't worth much more than a new one. Ruger stamped them all in 1976. I would say for value
    You are looking at around $4500, without seeing them- condition-condition.

Moderator Emeritus

my suggestion.
    Some LGS and Auctioneers with FFL will list and sell on gunbroker, or other Auction sites that allow firearms, for a fee or percentage. That is a route I'd consider with two of those firearms, since the Ruger is probably not worth more than a New one, I'd suggest to attempt to sell locally.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Mausers (C96) and Lugers are critical to condition. Minor differences make huge difference in price.

I'd try to find a good LGS or broker to appraise them. If you do find a good one, have them advise on how best to sell them. Depending on where you live you might try going to 2 or 3 shops and compare the information you get from them. Don't sell any at a pawn shop, but, some pawn shop owners are very good at determining value.

I applaud you for not taking advantage of the guy. Good luck with your search.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSO View Post
    All of us HONEST LGS thank you for your vote of confidence!
    I can kind of see his point. A lot of the gun shops I've been to would do that in a heart beat to make a few extra bucks. It's sad, but that's business I guess. There are certainly a few good ones out there though. I try to spend my money at their stores.

Boolit Master
    Speaking up for local gun shops even though I don't have a dog in the fight: I have had good results selling at a local shop. Just a few months ago I sold a 1879 type 1873 Trapdoor Cadet on consignment at my local shop. But, I had done my homework checking prices in Flayderman and on Gunbroker. I printed out a good description of it to go with it, and we listed it for just enough extra to cover their 10% commission. They had enough traffic in the shop that eventually it sold for what I wanted to get. A good local gun shop often has enough regulars who are interested in various firearms to justify selling one that way. Took several months, but I was not in a hurry anyway.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadswickedammo View Post
    you're a good man for giving solid advice instead of just grabbing all you could, kudos.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

My reply was based on the statement of the original poster and the elderly gentleman being friends. If all of you thought that I meant he should cheat Don and his wife over, then you are very mistaken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The Blackhawk is just a standard New Model Blackhawk that just happens to have been made in 1976. Not really likely to bring any serious premium over what they're currently making.

Any clean Luger will bring over a grand these days - parts gun or no. If it's a mocked-up artillery like some have suggested, it's still a rarer variant that some less well-heeled collector or re-enactor might buy just to fill the gap even knowing it's not "real".

It's a good time to sell a Python, thanks to one being featured heavily in The Walking Dead. I don't usually support the common Gun Broker practice of pricing stupid-high, exposing it to the whole Internet, and seeing what sucker bites, but for a NIB Python these days, you might as well start it at four grand and see what happens. Anybody who knew how to make a gun like that is retired and/or dead. I personally don't think they're worth the price of six GP-100's, but to paraphrase Obi Wan Kenobi, "The Horse can have a strong influence on the weak-minded"

The Python might even bring a slightly higher premium in California due to our idiotic "safe handgun" roster. My understanding is that handguns old enough to qualify as C&R's are exempt, and that cutoff, if I remember right, is either 50 or 55 years. The problem is that you can legally do a private party transfer ownership of a newer one that's already here, but you can't transfer a newer one into California unless its for someone with L.E.O. status or some other exemption. A lot of dealers need to middle-man non-roster handgun consignments as a P.P.T. for that reason. A Python that's already here saves the need to document whether it was produced before the C&R cutofff or after.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.