Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ivory types

Boolit Grand Master

Ivory types

Recent 1911 candy thread yielded some nice photos of ivory gripped 1911s. I’ve always wanted nice Ivories for my target 1911. It’s a traditional 5” with blues finish. I’ve seen vintage elephant ivory and walrus ivory and the mammoth ivory. I guess for those in the know, what is the difference in texture? Color? Grain? Feel? Any one better than others? Best place to try to buy a set of grips?

What about the alternatives like bone, antler, etc?

I want a warm, comfortable grip that is attractive in a classic sense.

Boolit Master
    I prefer elephant over all the others. Walrus come 2nd, and mammoth last. Elephant ivory, even polished to a high polish, remains very grippy even with wet/sweaty hands. With you being in Georgia, I’d call Mr. Beal from Gunner Products to set you up for your ivory needs.

ETA: No wood or antler has the warm feel of Elephant ivory.

Banned

Elephant ivory is usually snow white. I like mammoth ivory for two reasons. Its much cheaper and it has color and character. Ive got a couple knives with giraffe bone grips and its got some nice character too.

Recently I purchased a set of Sambar stag grips from Exotic Grips, and am very pleased.

https://exoticpistolgrips.com/

Banned

that's my favorite. I know many wont agree but id take sambar stag with some character over any ivory. Especially when you factor in price (although both are far from cheap)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Recently I purchased a set of Sambar stag grips from Exotic Grips, and am very pleased.

https://exoticpistolgrips.com/

I got a set of Officer model grips made from Buffalo bone from a vender on eBay and really like them. Nice milky white, smooth but with good gripping surface (if that makes sense). They were very reasonably priced and look great on that little Colt. They're not Ivory, but they look good and I don't have the $$$ for Ivory. (I didn't add much to the conversation but I did get my post count up).

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    Elephant ivory is usually snow white. I like mammoth ivory for two reasons. Its much cheaper and it has color and character. Ive got a couple knives with giraffe bone grips and its got some nice character too.
    Elephant does gain a nice yellow patina with time.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by RKJ View Post
    I got a set of Officer model grips made from Buffalo bone from a vender on eBay and really like them. Nice milky white, smooth but with good gripping surface (if that makes sense). They were very reasonably priced and look great on that little Colt. They're not Ivory, but they look good and I don't have the $$$ for Ivory. (I didn't add much to the conversation but I did get my post count up).
    I've seen those, they seem like quite the deal, moneywise.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I would love a set of Ivory Grips but will be content with my Elk Grips from http://grashornsgunworks.com/ butt find myself looking at https://www.boonetrading.com/collections/pistol-grips a lot
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

If you choose to go with genuine (elephant) ivory, be certain you get a valid letter of provenance to prove that the material was harvested before 1976 and imported before 1990. Without documentation, in the U.S. it's been illegal to 'traffic' *(buy, sell, or trade across state lines) in elephant ivory since June, 2016. There are some very narrow exceptions for antiquities such as old guns, musical instruments, etc. but sale of new ivory - either raw or as finished goods - is banned.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I've seen those, they seem like quite the deal, moneywise.
    I've not had them on very long but I really like the feel and the look against the blued 1911. I'm very satisfied and feel I got a very good product for the price.

Boolit Master
    Sale of new ivory is not banned.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Sale of new ivory is not banned.
    U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service doesn't agree.

https://www.fws.gov/international/tr...d-answers.html
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    If you like the ivory look, but like me can't afford the real thing, you can always go the poor man's route.
    I found that the mountain laurel that grows here, when dry is white and will polish up and look like ivory.
    It will also age like ivory. I use it on knife handles and have had the DEM cops want to see the paperwork
    for the ivory. They couldn't tell it was wood, till they seen the uncut pieces I had. I've also used polished
    bone. But real ivory is the best if you can afford it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service doesn't agree.

https://www.fws.gov/international/tr...d-answers.html
    Read what you posted. The sale of elephant ivory is not banned. There are limits to interstate sale, but intrastate is gtg. De Minimus is why you can still sell guns across state lines with ivory grips. Gotta look in state to buy just grips.
    Last edited by Love Life; 07-30-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    Many years ago I owned a Rogers & Spencer pistol with walrus ivory grips. I thought it was superior to elephant ivory. Even though they were very old they had not developed the cracks that elephant ivory often does. I will try to post a picture but with this new computer and Windows 10, don't hold your breath.
    Well, I don't know what happened but not what I expected.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I bought this set of 1911 ivorys from Nutmeg Sports LLC, about ten years ago. They are not for sale. Nutmeg is still in business and they has a variety of grip materials. Since that time elephant ivory grips suppliers have dried up. Another good alternative is to look at Scott Kolar's buffalo bone (American bison) grips. They are no too spendy at $85.00 per pair. If they are not listed on his web site, contact him as I know he has some.

https://www.skgrips.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 07-30-2018 at 02:56 PM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    While not technically ivory, I prefer giraffe bone. It's much cheaper, easier to get, and has the general look but can also have a lot of variation in the color in some pieces. I make quite a few sets too. Just ordered two more big ol bones to cut up for grips.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    While not technically ivory, I prefer giraffe bone. It's much cheaper, easier to get, and has the general look but can also have a lot of variation in the color in some pieces. I make quite a few sets too. Just ordered two more big ol bones to cut up for grips.
    I would love to see some of your work
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I would love to see some of your work
    Absolutely. Here's an old pic that I managed to dig up. I have a ton more, but I can't get them to load right now. Our internet is not that great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast