WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ivory types

Boolit Master
    Those are some sweet grips! If you decide on a commercial venture, I would be up for buying a pair or two.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like I’ll check out nutmeg and some bone grips as well

Banned

yes it does but it takes a good amount of time especially if its in the same and not exposed to sun.
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Elephant does gain a nice yellow patina with time.

Banned

scott makes some real nice grips. He had some mastodon bone that was real nice too back some time ago. Real ivory is just way out of my price range. Nice stuff but your paying more for rare then you are for any practical benefit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I bought this set of 1911 ivorys from Nutmeg Sports LLC, about ten years ago. They are not for sale. Nutmeg is still in business and they has a variety of grip materials. Since that time elephant ivory grips suppliers have dried up. Another good alternative is to look at Scott Kolar's buffalo bone (American bison) grips. They are no too spendy at $85.00 per pair. If they are not listed on his web site, contact him as I know he has some.

https://www.skgrips.com/

Before spending thousands of dollars on Ivory, and dealing with gooberment hassles, look into river birch, and American holly. Both woods are stunning, and often mistaken for aged ivory, birch is very grippy, to the point of being impossible to polish with steal wool, must use ultra fine sand paper to get is smooth. I had a walking stick, until stolen from my car, out of river birch, it had a very rich yellow tone, and gripped well even if wet.

I have seen holly salad utensils that I swore were bone, this is not my gun, but it will give an idea of just how good the appearance of the wood.

Last edited by Walkingwolf; 07-31-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Banned

yup if I wasn't told it would be hard to argue those weren't ivory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    Before spending thousands of dollars on Ivory, and dealing with gooberment hassles, look into river birch, and American holly. Both woods are stunning, and often mistaken for aged ivory, birch is very grippy, to the point of being impossible to polish with steal wool, must use ultra fine sand paper to get is smooth. I had a walking stick, until stolen from my car, out of river birch, it had a very rich yellow tone, and gripped well even if wet.

I have seen holly salad utensils that I swore were bone, this is not my gun, but it will give an idea of just how good the appearance of the wood.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    If you choose to go with genuine (elephant) ivory, be certain you get a valid letter of provenance to prove that the material was harvested before 1976 and imported before 1990. Without documentation, in the U.S. it's been illegal to 'traffic' *(buy, sell, or trade across state lines) in elephant ivory since June, 2016. There are some very narrow exceptions for antiquities such as old guns, musical instruments, etc. but sale of new ivory - either raw or as finished goods - is banned.

Bill
    So what do I do with the Indian Elephant Ivory grips I had made in 1968 , I do not have any letter or even a sales receipt . In 1968 I sent the company a check for $60.00 and several weeks later they arrived in the mail. The company is no longer in existance...are the police going to arrest me for having "undocumented " ivory ?
    Gary
    Ruger Blackhawk w/ Ivory
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    So what do I do with the Indian Elephant Ivory grips I had made in 1968 , I do not have any letter or even a sales receipt . In 1968 I sent the company a check for $60.00 and several weeks later they arrived in the mail. The company is no longer in existance...are the police going to arrest me for having "undocumented " ivory ?
    Gary
    Ruger Blackhawk w/ Ivory
    I think it’s a sales issue. You can have so long as it isn’t sold. It’s when it’s sold that it has to be documented (if selling the ivory outright by itself)

Boolit Master
    It should meet the De Minimus rule.

Boolit Master

I have a set of Holly wood grips on my 41 RBH i like them Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180801_182046_resized.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	224813
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    I have a set of Holly wood grips on my 41 RBH i like them Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180801_182046_resized.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	224813
    How durable are they. How do they feel.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I bought a nice old Chinese(?) bookmark made of what I think is ivory and silk thread some years back. Keep it in my Bible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

They feel real good as far as durable so far so good I dont baby them at all has been on a few hunting trips so if they do get a scratch or a ding from use oh well its a hunting pistol
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12