RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Laptops and tablets

Laptops and tablets

Well, my old Sony Vaio running Windows 7 appears to have finally crashed this afternoon.

Apart from the convenience of a keyboard, is there any good reason not to opt for a tablet and forgo the laptop?

Thoughts?

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Install Linux, wipe hard drive of windazed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The heck does that mean in English?

I push button.

Computer beep.

I push button again.

Maybe I happy. Maybe I knot.

Savvy?

Boolit Buddy

It all depends on what you used your laptop for. If its just checking email and internet browsing, a tablet would do just fine. Anything more and you may want to stick with a laptop.

Keep in mind if you get a tablet, some web pages may give you the mobile version and look a bit different than what you are used to. If youre good with a smart phone then you probably know what I mean. Also, you can get some tablets with a detachable keyboard, so you dont necessarily need to forfeit that feature if you do go the tablet route.

As for the other poster, he is refering to an alternative operating system to windows. It's like the ford vs chevy thing only linux is not very friendly to the average computer user.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Dignified? I signed up for brave and courageous, not dignified!

I use an Asus T0100 convertible. Keyboard when I want it, tablet when I don't at the push of a button.

Screen separates from the keyboard and you have your tablet.

I also agree with Fiberoptik. Linux Mint is easy.

Boolit Man
    I had to use my old mouse with the wire. Never got the hang of the finger pad.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake McCracken View Post
    It all depends on what you used your laptop for. If its just checking email and internet browsing, a tablet would do just fine. Anything more and you may want to stick with a laptop.

Keep in mind if you get a tablet, some web pages may give you the mobile version and look a bit different than what you are used to. If youre good with a smart phone then you probably know what I mean. Also, you can get some tablets with a detachable keyboard, so you dont necessarily need to forfeit that feature if you do go the tablet route.

As for the other poster, he is refering to an alternative operating system to windows. It's like the ford vs chevy thing only linux is not very friendly to the average computer user.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I disagree. I had Linux Mint installed on a computer last week, and I find it very easy to use.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Got money?? Your choice... Personally, I browse comfortably with a $50 Kindle... If I want bigger/multiple monitors, I use my laptop... Morning check-ins on this site are always with the Kindle... Like now...

I'm not sure I want to try and install a new OS myself. Pretty sure if things didn't go perfectly I'd be paying someone to clean up my mess. And the Vaio is 5 or 6 years old. I'm not sure it's worth spending money on, especially if everything on it now is going to be irretrievable.

Maybe I'll just get a tablet and if I find there are things I can't do with it, then I can always get a laptop later, I suppose.

Boolit Master

I spoiled myself 2 years ago and bought the Windows Surface Pro. I love this little guy. We go hunting and it reviews my trail cam photo's, we go to college, it stores all my load data and reloading notes, and it even goes to work with me. Its basicly a laptop with a detachable keyboard and converts into a tablet.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Laptops and tablets

There are lots of Linux versions that are free, easy to use, and some even run off a cd or dvd without installing called a “live” version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am using a iview right now. it is a 10 inch screen windows 10 computer. the power cord headphones and wireless mouse plug into the screen. so the key board can come off. normal price is $180. wife got it on sale for $89.

Boolit Master
    Am I the only one that loves a MacBook Pro?

I'm too cheap to buy Apple products.