Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: I'm Addicted...gotta get my Pewter fix.

I'm Addicted...gotta get my Pewter fix.

Stopped off at my local donation center AGAIN this week. Walked out with a pitcher that weighed over 2 lbs alone, another tall pot that weighed just under 2 lbs. Both for $10. I grabbed three candle sticks (not the filled/weighted ones) and that was another $4. Found 4 pewter 6" plates 10oz each all for $4 and one 6oz tankard (glass bottom) for another $3. Plus some other odds/ends. All total I got 9.25 lbs for $29....$3.13 a pound. All were marked pewter with hallmarks....except the tankard...it just said Pewter on it.

I thought I could quit....but I just can't...so much good tin out there...not enough time to collect it all.

gimme pewter...gimme pewter...gimme pewter...I need it now.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Nice score! I'm always looking for pewter, too.

Boolit Master
    You always have to look at the total weight and overall price. $3 for a 6oz. tankard is too high on it's own but gets lost in the overall price. 6oz. of pewter is enough for 40lbs of lead to get 1% tin or close enough. Good Luck with the hunt.

Boolit Grand Master

It seems like most things in this hobby are addictive. Lead, Pewter, bullet molds, ect. Nice Score by the way!

Boolit Buddy
    redhawk0 I've got the same deal going on myself and most of my pewter foraging comes from Cancer society or Church stores so never worry about the cost of it too much its all for a good cause and as above its nothing compared to the big picture, I have a bit to do with a local engraver and asked him about pewter he stated that he will sell average of one pewter tankard for engraving to 50 stainless ones as the stainless are so much cheaper compared to 30 years ago it was mostly pewter, some of the Pewter jugs and vases etc I've picked up are truly beautifully made and sometimes hang around inside for a while to admire but eventually the wife will mention about the "Dust Collector" and its then outside in the box waiting for its reconstruction

Dust makes fine flux

Our thrift stores never have it.

Yeah...I just started collecting pewter this summer...So this gives me about 30 lbs. so far. I like the donation centers...and yes..the tankards weight to cost ratio is rather high...so are candle-stick holders really. You make out best with pitchers, bowls, plates, wall sconces, goblets...etc...you just have to be real careful to not misread something or buy pewteret, armetale, RWP...etc. Generally speaking...I check for a hallmark and give it a bend test. Most pewter-ware will bend quite easily. The fake stuff...or if there is any doubt....I ALWAYS pass.

happy hunting fellow pewter junkies.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I use it to make a 16:1 mix which took my pure PB from 5 to 7.5 BH. Little soft and a lot of pewter used to boot but it makes accurate sub MOA hollow point bullets for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Yeah...I just started collecting pewter this summer...So this gives me about 30 lbs. so far.
    redhawk
    If you got thirty pounds in a couple months, you've been doing better than me out here on the west coast. Pewter is less common here, but can be found. Two thirds of mine came one or two items at a time at thrifts and estate sales. The other third is from three or four relatively large scores of about twenty pounds each where I was fortunate enough to clear out collections at estate sales.

I will take mugs, if the price is right, since they seem to be the single most common item to be found out here. I won't touch a weighted candle stick: the yield is way too low for the price and the hassle of getting the junk out of the base. Same for salt and pepper shakers.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I agree, I only buy candle sticks if they're a buck or less. The ones I run into a less than a third of a pound set and done. I have two sets of salt and pepper shakers...that I bought to use. There's nothing left for weight once your done gutting them.

At some point the only thing that has much appeal is the premium stuff or really good scores based on price. With pewter even at over $3 a pound one has to consider what the commercial price of tin is. With tin, solder or pewter from foundry sources or S&S forum running well over that price it is not hard to justify purchasing the items even if not at an optimal price.

I too generally shoot for $3 per pound or less but I would rather have 10# that cost me $35 than pass it up. I know that same 10# will cost me around 2x that price in swapping & selling forum. More than that from rotometals. Getting the occasional deal at much less than $3 per pound to average in makes the overall cost of a big pile-o-tin stash pretty reasonable. I refuse to rip myself off by buying feather weight items for big bucks but "reasonable" price has a good deal of wiggle room.

When I started I was a steady buyer, set amount of cash budgeted every month. Eventually I became more selective on what I buy and how much I pay. But part of that stash that allows for being selective was not getting too hung up in 50 cents a pound price differences until a stash was accumulated.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 07-30-2018 at 05:49 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Having my stash well stocked has resulted in more free time and money for me. When I was in accumulation mode I was constantly looking, hitting all the thrifts, garage and estate sales I could, and was more willing to pay on the higher side. Now I use on line resources and only go when the description or photos are promising, or go to thrifts that experience has shown are more likely to have pewter, and I am more willing to walk away if the price does not come in under my limit (the main exception on price being a large score that is only marginally high).

Yeah I might have gone every weekend and maybe a couple of times during the week to thrift stores or scrap yards or tire stores. Now it's more likely to be stopping at a couple of the most promising spots this week and next week hit another couple. I still budget cash for the stash but now it tends to accumulate a bit so I can take better advantage of larger good deals.

Annoying thing for me is the most reliable sources have the highest prices, the less likely to have something at any time tend to have better prices and the occasional really good score.

Just like building up a savings account, you accumulate a large balance over time IF you always put more in than you take out. The only variable is how much positive flow you have which determines how long it takes. Even just an extra $20 worth per month is 240# by the end of the year. With kids and bills it can be hard but as long as your adding any amount more than you use eventually you too can annoy your wife and make your decedents work to dispose of your "assets"
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat