RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Long range 22

Boolit Buddy

Long range 22

Made this video of me shooting my CZ 452 on some long range steel targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PTl...ature=youtu.be
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Looks like fun.

Have shot 5 gallon buckets out to 300 yards with my rossi 62sac.
    Always fun shooting long range with a 22.

Boolit Master

Fun stuff, and it can teach you a lot about wind drift and trajectory.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Bought my first CZ last fall. A used 452 utralux super exclusive that looked like it never been shot. Nicest wood I've ever seen. Went to fire it and one out of 4 would FTF. I took the bolt apart and it looked the inside of an old shellacked carburetor. I cleaned it and polished all the surfaces and put in some slip 2000 synethtic lube from my AR. Fixed the issue. I only had one dud in 300 plus rounds...and it was the ammo's fault. It grouped a little tighter with the cheapy Winchester 333's than the golds. It shoots .5" groups at 50 yards with the cheap white box ammo. I tried three different Aguila types of ammo threw it with crappy results. It was shooting pie plate plus sized groups at 50 yards with all the Aguilas I tried. I threw a 2x7 leupold on it. It fits behind the rear sight. I don't need hearing protection on when shooting it. I tried CCi quiets...they don't exit the barrel. I was smart enough to catch it the first time and used a cleaning rod to remove it. Tried a couple more to see if they would exit...nope. Both CZ and CCi said the bore is smaller and too much barrel length at 28.5" for an exit. I only use hi velocity rounds through it after that. I bought a ruger American 22 wmr a few weeks after the CZ. It shoots tighter groups at a 100 yards (.3") than my CZ at 50 and kills small game DRT... But I still love my CZ when I don't want to blow things apart.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-30-2018 at 12:18 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Bought my first CZ last fall. A used 452 utralux super exclusive that looked like it never been shot. Nicest wood I've ever seen. Went to fire it and one out of 4 would FTF. I took the bolt apart and it looked the inside of an old shellacked carburetor. I cleaned it and polished all the surfaces and put in some slip 2000 synethtic lube from my AR. Fixed the issue. I only had one dud in 300 plus rounds...and it was the ammo's fault. It grouped a little tighter with the cheapy Winchester 333's than the golds. It shoots .5" groups at 50 yards with the cheap white box ammo. I tried three different Aguila types of ammo threw it with crappy results. It was shooting pie plate plus sized groups at 50 yards with all the Aguilas I tried. I threw a 2x7 leupold on it. It fits behind the rear sight. I don't need hearing protection on when shooting it. I tried CCi quiets...they don't exit the barrel. I was smart enough to catch it the first time and used a cleaning rod to remove it. Tried a couple more to see if they would exit...nope. Both CZ and CCi said the bore is smaller and too much barrel length at 28.5" for an exit. I only use hi velocity rounds through it after that. I bought a ruger American 22 wmr a few weeks after the CZ. It shoots tighter groups at a 100 yards (.3") than my CZ at 50 and kills small game DRT... But I still love my CZ when I don't want to blow things apart.
    It's surprising to hear about the 22WMR. Also thanks for the head's up on CCI quiet loads not leaving the barrel. Could save someone from hurting their gun.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yeah, the american was tip to buy from my buddy who is a smith. He told me that he had one that shot sub MOA. I googled it and saw an article that there was one shooting .4" at a 100 yards with hornady vmax. It was the 22" version that they both had and tested. I called cabelas to see if they could find me one. I got a call back a few minutes later and was told they had one left there for $199 discontinued around Christmas last year. Apparently cabelas wasn't carrying the 22" versions anymore in both 22 wmr and 17 HMR and the only one left chambered in 22 wmr and no 17 HMR in there whole computer system was the one I called about. It wasn't in their computer system anymore but he found it boxed up in their vault. I jumped in my truck and in an hour it was mine. I got lucky. Ihad them double check inventory while I was there. If they had more I would have took a few home. I lightened the trigger and took it to the range. I
    First time out I tried Winchester varmint vmax 2250fps. It shot .6" and .7" groups at a 100 yards but had a couple fail to fires. I took the bolt apart and found a little piece of metal shaving in it. I removed all the dirty grease, polished up all the surfaces, and reinstated with some synthetic lube. I went back out and tried hornady vmax 2200 fps. First try It shot a
    .3" group! Awsome gun.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-31-2018 at 12:33 AM.