RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: .45 Colt, Redding 'Profile crimp' vs Lee 'Collet crimp' ?

.45 Colt, Redding 'Profile crimp' vs Lee 'Collet crimp' ?

I use Lee's fcd, but think they are sizing down my boolets. Later today I plan to stop at Gunstop in Minnetonka, MN to pick up some primers. I know there have been threads on this topic, but couldn't find them. Thanks in advance for your help! hc18flyer

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Yes, the Lee LFC will size your bullets inside the case. That is what it's designed to do.

If your gun requires a fatter bullet you need thinner brass or a different die.

Load a dummy, pull the bullet with an impact puller and MEASURE it.

In my experience the Redding profile crimp die sizes the bullet less, but may do so somewhat IF your brass is heavy-walled, like Starline or Federal, less so with Winchester or Remington.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    On a couple of my Lee FCD's I removed the carbide sizing ring at the bottom. I then just use the die to crimp without it re-sizing my oversized cast bullets.

Mine seems to just catch the 'belled rim' on the cases I flare too much? I will make and measure a couple of pulled bullets. I will also see if brass manufacturer makes a difference? Then I will consider pulling out the carbide sizing ring. I also need to size my brass even less than I already have for my Ruger Blackhawk. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    If you are using a bullet with a crimp groove just try adjusting your seating die so that you seat and crimp in one station. It is only when you don’t have a crimp groove that seating and crimping in one station are a challenge.

If you don’t like it then go spend some money.

Redding profile crimp dies are worth every penny. I use one for every caliber.

Banned

Impossible, Profile crimp die is for revolvers.
    Redding makes a nice taper crimp dies as well for pistols.
    The handgun FCD is not a collet die. You can order the handgun collet die directly from Lee and it works extremely well especially with heavy charges or where there is no crimp groove.
    $16

45 Colt Collet Style Crimp Die
    Details
    SKU 90302
    Weight 0.26 lbs

MSRP: $15.98
    Options
    Quantity

Add to cart
    45 Colt Collet Style Crimp Die. Incorporates a collet to apply a rifle type crimp to the case. Makes these very difficult to crimp cartridges a delight to reload. Bullets do not need a crimp groove, as the collet is so powerful it will form one.
    Last edited by jmort; 08-01-2018 at 05:03 PM.

I much prefer to make the decision about the size of my bullets and not a die maker. I am just funny about stuff like that.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Have you tried using a 45 auto taper crimp die? That may be the solution to the problem.

I agree with jmort. The Lee collet style crimp dies are my favorite. They are very easy to adjust to just what you want in a crimp. You can make the bell of the case fit the chamber on some rounds or just remove the bell all the way to a major crimp even if the bullet has no crimp groove. Gp

Vendor Sponsor

Hold the train a second.. The OP's topic was about the Lee COLLET CRIMP, which is in no way even closely related to the Lee Factory Crimp with the carbide ring. We are talking night and day difference in the two dies. Why all the advice about the FCD when the question was about the collet crimp?

Lee doesn't help matters any as they call the collet crimp die, yep you guessed it, a factory crimp also.

The collet crimp die has several advantages that NO other style of crimping die has. It crimps only from the sides, which doesn't push down on the boolit or the case, which all the seating dies and taper crimp style dies do. Yes it will crimp right into the sides of the boolit whether there is a crimp groove or not. It also can provide enough resistance to boolit movement when the primer ignites, and before the powder begins to burn. It will lessen the SD of rounds chronographed by this slight delay in boolit movement. It holds the boolit firmly in place until enough pressure from burning powder pushes it forward.

Here is a thread with pics showing the stock as-issued Lee Collet Crimp die, and some mods I do to all of mine to fine tune the die by narrowing the crimp band which makes it more effective, and lowering it down so it only crimps on the case mouth and not the sides of the boolit as well as the case mouth.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2239315
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-07-2018 at 12:12 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.