Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder stock for handgun, maybe?

Boolit Master

Shoulder stock for handgun, maybe?

Starting to think towards jobs for post hunting days this fall - winter. If you were to attache a handgun to a stock, how would you do it? Also how would you design the stock? I like the Rem 58 in a stock for black powder but I get tunnel vision when I think of doing this for myself. I think I will keep it to wheel guns. I have no desire to use anything tactical in looks. I guess I am a wee bit conservative in this application. Any good ideas? I must be able to make the stuff to do it or it won't get done(tite wad me)!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I will not claim to be an expert on the legal issues, or on the engineering issues for that matter, but do be sure that you understand how to be sure that you either don’t make, or properly license, a short-barreled rifle.

Boolit Master

I had a "Kit" for a 1911 years back that I "THINK" was a legal way to do it

It was a 16 1/4" 45 ACP barrel
    With a shoulder Stock that attached to the pistol by removing the grips and on both sides a thin metal piece went under the grips to the shoulder stock

It worked OK with some 45 ACP loads , others kept stove piping

Big reason I sold it was the only sights I had were those on the slide
    Not the best past 50 yards

Sold the kit and used the $$ to partly pay for a Browning High Power

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Buddy
    Under 16", with a stock, is an SBR and requires that you bribe the crown. A pistol brace though... That's different.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

A shoulder stock percussion pistol isn't that much fun to shoot- especially a revolver. Too much going on by your face. I speak from experience. Cartridge handguns with shoulder STOCKS are verboten without govt. say so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Under 16", with a stock, is an SBR and requires that you bribe the crown. A pistol brace though... That's different.
    I read misread this as “...you bribe the clown...” and I chuckled.

I know a guy that put a 16" barrel on a Ruger Std Auto. In fact it was a 10/22 barrel he cut and
    fitted to gun. He silver soldered a cleat on back strap of frame. He scoped it and it shot good. I
    found it awkward because of angle of stock was to high. The take down lever on the Ruger cause
    the problem because it limited where cleat could be located.

I saw a old 38sp S&W that had a neat home made stock attachment but no stock. I've shot some
    of the repros with 16" barrels. I still don't want my hand in front of cylinder, it will get stung with
    the best of them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    I read misread this as “...you bribe the clown...” and I chuckled.
    Lol. Same thing, essentially.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I remember seeing an interesting article, perhaps in The Backwoodsman magazine, where a man used a walking stick to steady his handgun,had a different way of holding for all shooting positions, looked like a very practical way to steady a pistol for accurate shooting , and legal.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    They used to sell shoulder stocks for 1911s which had a thin (metal I think?) strap that you would hold on to the back of the mainspring housing and grip safety with your hand, they were NOT attached to the pistol, but your hand unified them. Thus they're not an attached stock and the BATFE (until they change their mind) called them legal w/o an SBR stamp. Your state may have different laws - Who knows. It's a little difficult to follow all the laws and regulations when they add 1000 a year and the complete set in book forms fills a wall at the local library. (A large wall.) I've wanted to try that though, haven't yet.

Boolit Master
    Ok, I need guys like you all to keep me right. First I do not want to get cross ways with the "clowns." I appreciate your input and not going to pursue this venture, but the cane might be something I would enjoy! I still need a project for winter??? Maybe time to do a left hand flint lock?
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

I have shot both an 1860 army and a Mauser 96 with a shouder stock and was not enamoured with either. The precussion gun occasionally spit back a little and the Mauser had an clumsy feel to it and I didn't like the bolt coming back in front of my eye.

When I was a kid I always wanted a Finala .22 pistol with shoulder stock. They looked like Hi-Std
    autos. These were made before 1st gun control act. 22s were the only thing that interested me in
    this type of gun. I have shot several military pistols with attached stocks. They shot better than
    without but not near as well as the same guns made as a carbine. I got to shoot a Luger that
    had a 16" barrel, not original and not one of those carbine kits. The Luger was slotted for stock
    and guy had bought repro hardware and made his own stock. He had ramp front and back sight
    both on barrel. It was a good shooter, like shooting a 22 rifle at plinking distances. This was in
    the 60s, he came up with the junk Luger for a donar but my smith is the guy who built it. The
    owner had considerable money invested in that project. It looked brand new and was cute, but
    what was it good for other than plinking?

Boolit Bub
    About 35 years ago the American Rifleman magazine had an article and plans to convert a High Standard Sportking .22 auto pistol into a rifle. High Standards have a barrel that is easily removed by pushing a button. This conversion fitted a 16 inch barrel to the pistol and then attached a wire stock to the side of the barrel. The author then put a small scope on the barrel. This conversion was legal because the stock could only be used by the rifle barrel.

Banned

this is sorta what you want. but i would brace it on the elbow, not the shoulder. on the shoulder you have a SBR. on the elbow, its still a pistol/revolver, I THINK. you would better off if you contact someone who knows the laws. BATF is a good place to start.

Banned
    this one better...

Quote Originally Posted by MFGordon View Post
    About 35 years ago the American Rifleman magazine had an article and plans to convert a High Standard Sportking .22 auto pistol into a rifle. High Standards have a barrel that is easily removed by pushing a button. This conversion fitted a 16 inch barrel to the pistol and then attached a wire stock to the side of the barrel. The author then put a small scope on the barrel. This conversion was legal because the stock could only be used by the rifle barrel.
    I remember that article. The same author had a Remington rolling block converted to a .250 Savage backpack rifle.

I have a swivel stud on the bottom of the grip of my .54 plains pistol. I have a short loop sling that I attach to it and loop over my right shoulder or around my neck. I can be quite steady with it.

Boolit Master
    I suspect a pair of crossed sticks, held together by a few wraps of leather bootlace, would provide all the steadying help a handgun may require. A pair of sticks would be light and easily portable, quick to change elevation (bring the legs closer together or wider apart), and would not attach to the firearm. Think of this as the modern buffalo hunter's rig. I used to carry a pair of these on muzzle loading hunts but can envision the concept working well for a handgun. Short sticks for a sitting position, longer for kneeling or standing.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 500Linebaughbuck View Post

this is sorta what you want. but i would brace it on the elbow, not the shoulder. on the shoulder you have a SBR. on the elbow, its still a pistol/revolver, I THINK. you would better off if you contact someone who knows the laws. BATF is a good place to start.
    I seriously doubt the BATF would care where you say you brace it and if it CAN be braced on the shoulder even if you are not shooting it just having it in your possession would get you an all expenses paid trip to a Government owned Grey Bar resort! A stock is a stock and it matters not how you claim you shoot it, you need not even be shooting it at all!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast