Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Graf & SonsTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyStainLess Steel MediaInline Fabrication

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 4840 USD (81%)
We have reached our goal! Thanks to all who donated! I will be updating the donation bar in the next few days!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Thread: 284 Win to 7.5 SR

Boolit Master

284 Win to 7.5 SR

Some where I read that it was easy to convert 284 WIN to 7.5 SR. Is this true? Using a SR shell holder I stuck a 284 case in my SR di. Took awhile but I did manage to find my stuck case remover tool. Will use the 384 shell holder to expand necks to SR diameter. Is there anything else I should be aware of? I do have proper sized Berdan primers but they are a real pain to remove with water in the case. Don' mind Berdan primers for hunting loads but want to use Boxer primers for target/plinking loads. Any and all advise is welcome.

Boolit Master
    Use a .308 shell holder with .284 brass.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I've reformed a couple hundred rounds of .284 to 7.5 Swiss in one pass using RCBS 7.5x55 dies. Using new brass, I didn't even have to anneal the necks. However, as you found, you need to use a #2 shell holder (.308/.30-06, 243, etc, etc) rather than the #3 that comes with the dies. On the other hand, Grafs has Boxer-primed Privi 7.5x55 in stock at a LOWER price than Win .284. Also, while I've found that reformed .284 works just fine in a couple of K-31s, my G96/11 doesn't like it at all...extractor won't hold on the .284's .022" smaller rim.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 07-28-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

[QUOTE On the other hand, Grafs has Boxer-primed Privi 7.5x55 in stock at a LOWER price than Win .284.

Bill[/QUOTE]

this was my initial thought, but you covered it. Making cheaper brass from expensive stuff, plus the effort, to get an out of spec finished product. I was considering making 475 Wildey from 284, but the math said buy the Starline pistol brass at $.25 cheaper than the 284, plus the cut, trim , ream operations. I like this stuff, but not that much.... then again if you have a butt load of free brass, it might make more sense..

Boolit Master
    Thank everyone for the help. Got the stuck case out of the di and expanded some more cases. I am working with 284 brass because I bought it several years ago and had done nothing with it until recently. I will load some small number of cases to make sure my 1911 likes it. If not then I will have to buy 7.5x55 brass.