Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Roadmaster Press

Boolit Grand Master
    DO NOT BASE YOUR DECISION ON WHAT MR MORRIS CAN ACCOMPLISH

Mere mortals have better options.

I am serious....look at some of the stuff he has posted on machines he has made or modified.

The Lee will work most of the time...just depends on how often you want to tweak it. I do not reload for fun so I would never own one. Get a Dillon if you do not like feeding the swear jar.
    Don Verna

I'm NOT Mr Morris either and do not have his shop or abilities to do what he does but I do own a Lee Turret, a Lee Pro 1000 and am looking to add a new Lee Breech Lock Pro to the bench

I also have to add that it's comments like this that reinforces that I will never buy a Dillon. I don't want to be known as a Tool Snob!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    ...I don't want to be known as a Tool Snob!
    You are doing it wrong...

Boolit Master
    Livin Cincy yes I prime on press

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a big fan of Lee presses and classic turret is my favorite but I also use single stage and Loadmaster.
    There are many people that could load string of 100 around the same time but what I found out was that priming on loadmaster is not that good. Uneven, upside down, twisted sideways primers .... you name it.

If you decide to run all five stages and prime on LM you will end up with many rejects and a lot of wasted powder.
    The only way to run this press if you ask me is to prime somewhere else. Otherwise you will have a lot of downtime because primer jam on progressive take way longer to clear then single stage. I use single stage press to resize and prime and LM to charge , seat and crimp so only 3 stages on loadmaster.

Boolit Master

Owning a Dillon is NOT being a tool snob, it's simply being practical and informed.

is the video jmorris loadmaster or a unit off of youtube? I suspect pre primed brass
    Yeah, it’s one that was given to me as a “basket case”. I bought all new plastic parts for it, including a 3rd gen primer system (the two that came with it just mangled things). I spent a week of evenings figuring out how the Loadmaster was intended to work and tweaking it to work as intended. To be honest a bit of that time was making parts to adapt a Dillon case collator, and a Hornady bullet dropper work with my collator.

That is (iirc) 102 rounds primed and loaded in that video, so it’s the real deal and unedited (if you watch the whole thing you will see one problem round culled).

I’ll admit to preferring Dillon equipment because it’s just more reliable than the others year after year and all of them now after years of use are worth more than I paid for them new but I’m not to snobby to figure out how the others work. It’s not magic but I am glad I had been reloading on progressives for 30 years when I embarked on that project vs starting out with the pile of parts and hope.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Owning a Dillon is NOT being a tool snob, it's simply being practical and informed.
    You are correct. But when one goes around espousing it's the only game in town then yes that is being a tool snob. Same as the guys I've worked with over the years constantly bragging on the Snap On, Matco, Mac, Cornwell. Seen many over the years that if only they were as good a mechanic as their tools were.

Seen many over the years that if only they were as good a mechanic as their tools were.
    That’s no lie. The ones I like to talk to are the ones with something I can’t even understand what it does, that’s when you learn something.

Boolit Bub
    I have to intervene here. I am new to reloading and started with the Lee Loadmaster. I was able to procure one very cheap at a swap meet. I have used it over and over the past 9 months and loaded almost 7,000 rounds of 38 special to 45ACP with it. Yes, it is a work in progress sometimes but after learning how to use it from scratch, I can get it to roll right along. 400-600 per hour. Admittedly I prime off the press - I just like to be sure I don't get a high primer for the wheel guns whilst I am cowboy shooting. Dillon - well, I bought a NEW SDB and used it for a few weeks and sold it. Playing and simple. As an inexpensive loader that will work well the Loadmaster has not let me down. I actually was able to buy another one at a great price to keep as a dedicated unit. For the price I will keep mine, makes great ammo.

Stan_TN, Good for you! I keep trying to tell people, it makes no difference to me what tools one uses to do a job as long as they understand what the job is. If I use a socket and you use a box end wrench we can still get the same job done. Might not be done the same way but it will be done none the same.

If someone wants to use a Dillon 1050 to load 9mm and another guy wants to use a Whack-a-mole who should care? I don't. At the same time I am NOT going to tell anyone what tool they should use and if they are not using that tool then they are doing it wrong.

If someone wants to use a Dillon 1050 to load 9mm and another guy wants to use a Whack-a-mole who should care? I don't. At the same time I am NOT going to tell anyone what tool they should use and if they are not using that tool then they are doing it wrong.
    That’s it in a nutshell. If you are happy that’s all that really matters.

Boolit Buddy
    [Insert name of expensive machine here] users have a debt of gratitude to the Lee company. Their innovation at bottom prices is unmatched in the industry, having a dual effect of keeping prices down specially in accessories, while opening the doors to thousands of reloaders that otherwise would have never joined the hobby. This last bit on itself adds to the economy of scales that also keeps prices down.

I have a load master, and just got a Hornady lock-n-load. The Hornady will never be able to match the Lee on bang for the buck and sheer joy of tinkering with a complex mechanical system. Is like trying to argue what's a better automobile, a truck or a sport car. They will both take you places but it boils down to what you want to do and how you want to spend your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Livin_cincy View Post
    There are 'rumors' that the new/current LM Priming system works fine. Are you priming on the press ?

I have a new LM. Bought it a couple months ago cause' it was such a good buy. I've owned 7 or 8 of these things over the years and most all were a bit of trouble to get to prime reliably. I'll add that all but the first one I bought ala 1998 or so and this last one were used presses that needed a bit of TLC to a LOT of TLC. The one I just purchased has the latest priming system on it and I've had zero problems with priming. Did Lee make it better or did I just get one that works. Don't know, but this one is fine. A couple minor things I do before I even start trying to prime on a LM is smooth the head of the primer adjustment bolt, remove the primer rocker arm (under the carrier) and smooth the two ends, not flat but smooth. This is a stamped part and can have a bit of a ridge on either or both ends. Then I make sure that the primer is being presented to the priming pin evenly and smoothly. No bumps, dips, or movement of the primer. You have to do this by hand by removing the top on the primer chute and operating the primer shuttle making sure it is the same height as the primer pin. IF it's not there is an easy fix for that also. One other thing, and it's been mentioned many times before, the Load Master MUST be attached to a sturdy bench as the primer is not "captured" in a "cup" when being presented the to the case. So any bouncing of the press can cause a lost primer. To do the things I mentioned takes about an hour of your time and is easy to do. I don't know what Lee did, if anything, to improve the system but this one works fine. I've only loaded a couple hundred 45acp and the same for 9mm with out one primer mishap. So I did try both primer sizes with the same results. That's a small sample but it is encouraging.

Boolit Bub
    Loadmaster is a good press but it does take a little patience

Boolit Master
    I too recently bought a 9mm Loadmaster because of the price at Walmart, even though I already have a progressive setup for 9mm.
    My plan is to setup the 9mm LM with a bigger expander for cast/coated bullets (.357/.358" dia.) and keep the other press setup for jacketed (.355/.356" dia.).
    I have it partially setup but the weather got hot and I have not loaded with it as yet.

The positive comments here are encouraging...

Boolit Bub
    Mine has been an absolute night mare. It seems like something breaks at least once month. Hell I have been through 2 carriage assemblies within one year of owning it. Maybe I just load entirely too much for that press to handle but it seems like it is just not made to be very durable.

army doc, sorry to hear of your troubles. May be time to move on to something else. I have 3 Lee presses, two 3 hole turret presses and a Pro1000 press. When I started looking for a press to get back into hand loading I looked into all the different presses and decided that I wanted a turret press with the Auto index. Ended up with a Pro1000 because I found one complete for a very reasonable price used. Now I'm glad I bought this press.

Being a low volume user on a fixed budget I also didn't want to spend a bunch on a press but I did also look at the Dillon, Hornady and the Loadmaster. The 650 Dillon and the other 2 presses to me were just too complicated with too many moving parts to adjust. While the Turrets and the Pro1000 have very few moving parts and very few moving adjustments. At the time I could have purchased any one of these and had the money to do so yet I chose the Pro1000 because of the simplicity of the design. Many loaders swear by their Dillon's and Hornady presses and that is fine and am glad for them. It's just more press than I need or more than I want to work with.. Also BTW I spent a lifetime working on high speed production machines that are much more sophisticated than any of these loading presses.

Quote Originally Posted by army_doc View Post
    Mine has been an absolute night mare. It seems like something breaks at least once month. Hell I have been through 2 carriage assemblies within one year of owning it. Maybe I just load entirely too much for that press to handle but it seems like it is just not made to be very durable.

That's really bad. Tell you what I'll do, if it's complete with powder measure and case feeder (you can keep the dies) I'll give you a hundred bucks for it and I'll pay shipping. I'll just use it for "spare parts" when mine starts breaking stuff, that way you won't feel bad about selling a "nightmare" to a fellow reloader....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12