RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: First time 45ACP blend. Thoughts & Suggestions ??

Boolit Bub

First time 45ACP blend. Thoughts & Suggestions ??

Ready to make my first blend to cast 45acp… in the past I’ve used straight COWW’s. After reading tons on this forum and spending a few minutes to learn the calculator… this is what I’m thinking… 20lbs pure, 10lbs COWW, 2lbs Mono and .25lbs Pewter.

Calculations say : Tin=1.43% Antimony=2.16% and Lead=96.3 (.09 other). Hardness 11 Brinell.

Thoughts?
    USAF Veteran - NRA Certified Pistol Instructor - 1911 Junky

That should work. I've always been happy with WW with a pound of 50/50 solder to 9 pounds of WW. It has the added benefit of less work.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

The 45 ACP isn't very demanding of the alloy.

Boolit Bub
    Wag - I also had good luck with WW. But, I came into a pile of pure lead and mono type... so I wanted to use some of it to extend the life of my WW pile,

Grmps - great read! sound like I really mixing for cast-ability... and the 11 BHN seems to fit my 45 & 38 nicely. May need to make it a bit harder for the 9mm and 357 loads. This casting stuff makes science fun again...

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod99 View Post
    Wag - I also had good luck with WW. But, I came into a pile of pure lead and mono type... so I wanted to use some of it to extend the life of my WW pile,
    I understand that a lot. I have a bunch of pure lead too and had to buy some tin and antimony to blend with it but circumstances have derailed my casting projects for the last three years or so and I'm just about to get back into it here soon.

I'm assuming if you can match the blend of the WW, you're off and running.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Master
    50% COWW + 50% soft Pb and then add 1% pewter/tin. Shoot it with fast or medium burn pistol powder. It don't get no better.

From shooting in action matches for years with .45 auto, I like an alloy at BNH 9 (used with Lithibee or Red-n-Tacky lube). That softness keeps leading from gas cutting to absolutely nothing. Even going up to BNH 11 - I get some leading at the leade.

A common mix I use is very close to what jsizemore recommended above.
    Last edited by garrisonjoe; 07-30-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Boolit Master
    I use COWW with a little MONO Type and get around 10 BHN, I coat these with Hi-Tek and have no problems with leading, very accurate and clean.

Boolit Master
    range scrap + 2% tin by weight is my blend, sounds like you have a good ratio there.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    I tried 20 to 1 lead tin with a hollow point boolit and got great expansion but some leading. So i tried ww with a little tin and still got leading. I had to add a little foundrytype to get the lead around 14 bhn to get a clean barrel. I dont know how the guys around here use 50% ww and 50% pure and dont get any leading. All 3 of my 45s like harder alloy...

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by montanamike View Post
    I tried 20 to 1 lead tin with a hollow point boolit and got great expansion but some leading. So i tried ww with a little tin and still got leading. I had to add a little foundrytype to get the lead around 14 bhn to get a clean barrel. I dont know how the guys around here use 50% ww and 50% pure and dont get any leading. All 3 of my 45s like harder alloy...
    Mike,
    what kind of lube are you using? I was planning to powder coat... will that help prevent leading?

thanks

Boolit Master
    Mike,
    what kind of lube are you using? I was planning to powder coat... will that help prevent leading?

thanks
    Powder coat will help prevent leading with a softer BHN. Its not a cure all but quite effective. That being said I've had no leading in my 1911's with my range scrap + 2% blend, I use BLL, alox, hitek, and pc, just depends on my current mood for coating preference.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy
    I use a mix of 93/5/2 with a BHN of 14 for most every handgun load and I haven't been disappointed

Boolit Mold
    I found powder coating cast range scrap has worked well for my Glock. The last 1000 rounds powder coated all did exactly what they were asked to do against both paper and steel foe alike. I think I have more unburnt powder in the gun than I do lead in the barrel.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    50% COWW + 50% soft Pb and then add 1% pewter/tin. Shoot it with fast or medium burn pistol powder. It don't get no better.
    Air cooled, sized .452 and lubed with Lithi-Bee (1 part Lithium grease to 3 parts beeswax) , powder coat if you must have colored boolits.
    and like the man said " it don't get no better " .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Mike,
    thanks
    Yup, powder coat and you'll never worry about leading again.

In fact, you'll start forgetting how to clean your gun, as powder coated boolits shoot so clean.

The powder doesn't need to be anything fancy either, I just use Harbor Freight Red for < $5/lb.

I have my first 45 on order, a Springfield xdm. I have a bunch of unsized or lubes boolits already, the lee knockoff of the hg 68 mold. Do I need to slug the barrel, or is it safe to assume that sizing to 452 is appropriate?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    I have my first 45 on order, a Springfield xdm. I have a bunch of unsized or lubes boolits already, the lee knockoff of the hg 68 mold. Do I need to slug the barrel, or is it safe to assume that sizing to 452 is appropriate?
    Great question... I have never "slugged" any of my 1911 barrels... ???

Yeah, I am thinking I will size 50 boolits to .452 and load some test rounds based on Bullseye. If I find a good one and .452 seems to work, I will size the rest. The unsized comes in at .453 to .4535.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.