Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best hardness tester for the money

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Best hardness tester for the money

I’m considering buying a hardness tester. What are the best ones to consider, keeping cost in mind? Lee?
    Thanks for all advice and opinions.

My Cabin Tree kicks ***. It is not cheap but it's very easy to use and if you don't use the hammer on it you'll have it forever.
    Last edited by Minerat; 07-27-2018 at 09:42 AM. Reason: language violation

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have any others to compare for accuracy, although to me my Lee seems to do the job well. Any test I've ever seen showed the Lee to be as accurate as any other hardness tester. It takes a bit of hand-eye coordination to use the microscope, but I have no problems even with my paws for hands. I would definitely recommend it.

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    I use pencils. Close enough for me.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Banned
    This will help with pencil hardness testing

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rdness-testing

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    This will help with pencil hardness testing

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rdness-testing
    Wish I had seen that post earlier. Great post. That pretty much explains it all.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Quick View Post
    My Cabin Tree kicks ***. It is not cheap but it's very easy to use and if you don't use the hammer on it you'll have it forever.
    Cabin Tree tester is no longer made by same person but maybe available at http://www.cowboybullets.com/
    Last edited by Minerat; 07-27-2018 at 09:43 AM.

I got a Lee and it works good for me for what I need.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Saeco
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got the LBT, which has a direct readout. I have my Dad's older Saeco as well. The LBT was pretty expensive, so I guess that doesn't help with the cost part.

Boolit Grand Master

The art pencils will probably be the cheapest and seem to work well. The Cabine Tree is easy to use and you can test ingots or larger chunks of lead with it. I've never used the Lee or the Saeco. Knowing the hardness is nice but it really does not tell you the alloy. It will help you guess at it.

Boolit Master
    Art pencils work and are cheap, Hobby Lobby, any craft store or art supply store has pencil sets numbered. They work well.

Boolit Master
    I have an LBT and a SAECO. Both work well for the purpose. The LBT needs flat surfaces, so I mostly use it for ingots. Sawing and filing the points off boolits so I can use it is too much work. The SAECO is the one I use the most, testing culled boolits from a casting session. I check point and base, and they are usually close, unless there is an air bubble in the sprue cutoff. I angle the base a little and retest when this happens.

I don’t see differences in accuracy between individual BHN numbers, just the ranges. If there is an optimum with the same boolit at BHN 8 vs. BHN 9, I can’t see it on the target. The difference between BHN 4-5, BHN 8-11, and BHN 14 and above is significant, in certain cases.

When I shoot black powder cartridge, or if I was to try for accuracy above 2000 ft/sec, a hardness tester is a help. For most of my shooting, using smokeless with Lino/wheelweight alloys or range scrap, hardness testing is too much information.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a Lee tester. I couldn't get the hang of their microscope, so use a magnifying visor. I'll use the "punching" unit and measure the indent with dial calipers. I can get really close to the 'scope measurements, and it's no great loss if I'm one or even two BHN numbers off from a laboratory test. My BHN readings are just for my own use and don't need to be within one BHN of what a foundry would find (and I cast fro mebbe 19 years before I got a tester)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

An 'objective' look at BHN testing equipment . . . "Just the facts Mam..."

Testing The Consistency Of The Commonly Available
    Cast Bullet BHN Test Equipment

Cast Bullet BHN Tester Experiment . . . http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm

So what do these experiment prove? The differences between the various testers, the simplicity of using the tester making consistent readings possible, the users ability to use the tester consistently and interpret the results. This test also has shown how close to the lab tested sample (most of) the various testers really are.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I also when with a Lee, the results in the LASC test made it pretty apparent that if you are careful how you do it the Lee is the cheapest and most simple and accurate way to measure hardness. I had a Saeco that I inherited and I couldn’t stand it, I could test 3 boolits from the same batch and the BHN would vary and it wasn’t the easiest thing to read. The Lee is simple and gives relative results.

Cast Bullet BHN Tester Experiment . . . http://www.lasc.us/Shay-BHN-Tester-Experiment.htm

So what do these experiment prove? The differences between the various testers, the simplicity of using the tester making consistent readings possible, the users ability to use the tester consistently and interpret the results. This test also has shown how close to the lab tested sample (most of) the various testers really are.[/QUOTE]

Boolit Master

I started with pencils and got the Lee HBN tester. The pencils were consistent and accurate just like the Lee die. Just follow the directions with the Lee and it will be a repeatable and consistent. The Lee will match the pencils but i still considerate more of a reference and not so much an actual representation. I can accurately mix my alloys and create targeted BHN's for specific purposes with out actually knowing the content of my lead.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Banned

I owned a Seaco and a lbt. sold them both when I got my cabin tree. Hands down the best and cheaper then most.

Lee Hardness Tester . . . w/ the microscope mounted in a very complex/expensive holder that can be micro-adjusted in relative height for exact focus/alignment, and bullet mount that can be digitally rotated/moved 360 degrees....

Life does not have to be complex:

(`Another reason God created Styrofoam in cartridge boxes, don'cha know)

See https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...99&postcount=5 for some use/findings/actual Lee data that might be interesting.

Boolit Master
    Gatorade bottle. Drilled the plastic cap. Friction fit or helical focus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leetstr.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast