Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester Model 64

Boolit Master

Winchester Model 64

I have had this rifle for nearly 45 yrs.
    Every time I try to discuss this rifle, somebody says you are talking about a 94.
    The rifle is in great shape and has a half magazine.
    Any comments?
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Buddy
    I have one in .30-30 from 1939 in very nice shape, with a lovely steel Lyman peep sight. It's very tight, and appears not used very much, unlike the one in .32 Special that I used to have.

We should get some photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    I have had this rifle for nearly 45 yrs.
    Every time I try to discuss this rifle, somebody says you are talking about a 94.
    The rifle is in great shape and has a half magazine.
    Any comments?
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    Dad had one in 219 Zipper. He sold it because the barrel would start making a U-turn after about the 3rd shot. Kind of wish he'd have kept it. I'd have re-barreled it for 32 Winchester Special.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

It was called the Deer Rifle. Short tube magazine and pistol grip. Great rifle

They are very nice. Even the post 64 version(NRA Centennial).
    I envy you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Very nice rifles, basically a 94 with pistol vrip stock and lever. The short mag "deer rifle" is on my list. I had a "short rifle" but it didnt call to me, so sold it to fund a Blaser shotgun for my son. He might be still shooting the Browning if my 64 had been the deer rifle like yours !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

My very first centerfire rifle was a model 64, 30/30. I got it for the princely sum of $35.00 (54 years ago). My uncle had hardly fired it and gave me the box of ammo that he had bought with the gun originally. There were 12 rounds still in it. I bought a Lee Loader for it and "went to town". It was also the first gun I ever cast boolits for. I still have the single cavity Lee 150 FP mold. I used a tuna can on the kitchen stove with a bent spoon as a ladle.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Story: I was around 16-18ish and my neighbors were related. Our neighbor's wife passed away and all he did was drink and load and unload the rifle. He came out of his father in law's house and spies me.
    He said "Take this rifle and a case". "I don't want it around him".
    His son was no dummy and earned Purple hearts during the Battle of the Bulge. He was also an instructor in German that is why he was near the front lines, to interrogate prisoners.
    Strange but true
    Leadmelter
    MI

Boolit Master
    the 64 is a 94 action. the 64 was an attempt to revive rifle sales. they took the most often ordered special ordered features and made them in a standard rifle. like button mag. and pistol grip stock. there was only two models of 64 the standard and deluxe. standard had plain stocks the deluxe had checkering.

there may have been some different barrel lengths. they are very desirable to collectors. I have a deluxe in .32 spl.

one in 219 zipper would be a find.

The Winchester 64, based on the Model 94, was introduced about 1932, and was supposed to replace the CF Model 55 (there was also a single-shot auto-ejecting RF Model 55 in .22LR).
    Model 64 SN's were in the 2,200,00 range when the model was discontinued.

As noted above, Model 64's were issued in 2 finishes (Standard & Deluxe) and 4 known barrel lengths, 20", 24", 26" ( in the .219 Zipper), 28" (one known, in .219 Zipper) and a very few/rare 22" - the Deluxe's were called "The Deer Rifle" by the factory, and wore upgraded wood, Super Grade sling swivel bases (with sling), and checkering.

Receiver/tang markings changed when the changes were applied to the Model 94 line.

The Type 98A bolt peep sight was also a factory option for the Model 64. (such factory guns will also have the "sight slot delete" option, which stopped the cutting of a rear sight slot (dovetail) in those barrels)

The Model 64 had 2/3 magazines (16", based on a 24" barrel length); there were 3 different forend (wood) widths.

The Standard Model chamberings were .25-35, .30WCF (.30-30), .32-40, .32 Special, & .38-55 - the .219 Zipper chambering was introduced in 1937, and the rarest chamberings are .32-40 & .38-55 (which are the Holy Grail, and rarely ever seen).

The M-64's were serialized in the Model 94 sequence, and received the same receiver sight factory prep when the prep was applied to the Model 94's (just after SN 1,790,000) - Winchester than made the Lyman 56 receiver peepsight a factory option.

Since Winchester made receivers in large batches, only pulling a receiver from the parts bin at random, a particular receiver might have ended up on either a Model 55, a Model 64, or a Model 94. Multiple factory receiver "mistakes/mix-ups have been noted, which led to early SN receivers getting a feature introduced much later than the receiver production/SN.

A few years after the drastic changes of 1964, Winchester introduced a similar-looking NRA Centennial Rifle & the Model 64A.

Last edited by pietro; 07-28-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I had a very nice M64 Deluxe that I bought on a whim, and had never even fired. My daughter-in-law's father expressed a desire to own one, so I sold it to him. I probably should have kept it...
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

In Remembrance

At 1 time I had a `64 in about very good condition which means no dings or rust and decent blueing. I never got around to shooting it as I already had a large amount of other rifles that I didn`t shoot either. Then my Son needed `girl` money for dating, need I say more? I didn`t miss it for quite awhile, by then it was sold and gone.Robert

Boolit Bub
    Several years ago, I picked up a 64 in 32 special. I found out the first shot that they had reworked the triggers on the 64s. Mine has a 3 1/2 pound trigger. When I was sighting it in, I shot a clover leaf at 50 yards. Since then I have replaced the flat top rear sight with a Lyman 56 receiver sight. Its one of my favorite levers for carrying. There is something about a 64 that is elegant. The look, the feel. Fine old rifles!

Boolit Buddy
    My dad has a pair of model 64s consecutive serial numbered both chambered in 32 Winchester unfired! They are the deluxe models made in the 1950s. He has more will power than me on not shooting at least one. Very nice looking rifles.