Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: AR in 7.62x39

AR in 7.62x39

Does anyone shoot one of these with cast loads? I'm thinking forward to a winter project for my AR either x39 or the 300 fireball, Seems like the Fireball is rather limited with cast with the 1:8 twist that along with case forming and more expensive die sets? The only down side to the soviet rd. is limited mag. avail. but what I read is a standard 223 mag will work with up to 6-7 rds? Anyone with experience either I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Tim,

I'm thinking about the same thing. Just have to get out of Iraq in a few months to do it.

Boolit Master

Tim,
    I had always wanted an AR in a heavier caliber than 5.56, and after really jonesin' for a 7.62x39 upper, I changed my mind and decided on a 300 Fireball. I got one and did some shooting with it, but never got around to cast boolit shooting with it. Sold it, because I decided I wanted one from SSK, so it was a "real" 300 Whisper. I'm still waiting on that upper to come in. There are a bunch of guys that shoot cast in 300 Whisper and you can find them here at Cast Boolits, or over at Quarterbore.com (or many .net - I'm on my work computer and don't have it saved in my favorites here). Cast is actually not a problem for the 300 at all. You just have to stick to weights of 150grs or heavier, and the best weights are around 200+ grains.

7.62x39 is actually more limited in regards to cast boolits in the AR platform, because to go with heavier bullets, you have to seat them deeper into the case, and the twist will limit you at some point anyway. Another problem is the magazines, as you've already pointed out. There is a company (can't remember off top of my head) that makes a lower that takes more curved magazines so it will accomodate mags that allow high-capacity 7.62x39s, but that would mean purchasing a special lower for your rifle, and possible multiple mag wells.

If you're wanting a cast boolit project, I think the 7.62x39 would be absolutely wonderful in a bolt action, like the little CZs.

If the cast boolits thing was just an adjunct to a higher-functioning (than .223) AR, then I'd tell you what conclusions I've come to after a lot of considerations:

If short- to medium-range is primary, such as MOUT, and you basically want an AR in SMG form, but with better ballistics and range than a pistol-caliber, then the 300 Whisper is the way to go. Great terminal ballistics and accuracy at short and medium ranges (up to 150 yrds), suppressable, and ballistics do not suffer if you build up the AR in as compact a set-up as possible. I'd go with an 8" or 10" barrel, and as short a stock as you could get. Stick a red dot on it, and you're good to go. (I like the Trijicon Reflex, but there are many others like the EOTech and Tri-Power, etc.)

If medium- to long-range is primary, such as hunting or being "out in the country" then a medium-caliber AR is better. There are many choices, but the one I like best and I think combines the best virtues is the 6.8SPC. Get that in a 16-18" barrel mid-length carbine configuration, put a nice trigger in the lower, and top it off with an ACOG and you're lethal from 0m out to 500m+. BUT, this will be a more unweildy rifle than the SMG version in 300 Whisper. This style of rifle could just as well be chambered for 6.5 Grendel, 7.62x39, or some of the other mid-power cartridges and be just as effective.

These are the two rifles I'm building. The 6.8 is going to be a LWRC piston-driven upper on a lower I've built with a Timney trigger:

Here's a complete rifle from LWRC. (Mine's gonna be a little different - lower-wise - but the upper is exactly what I'm getting, even including the ACOG.)

Here's a pic of how nice SSK makes ARs in 300 Whisper. (Again, this is not mine, and mine will not look exactly like this, but this gives you an idea.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Tim,

I'm thinking about the same thing. Just have to get out of Iraq in a few months to do it.
    Bruce I don't know who you are but thank you for your work over in Iraq. Thanks for your commitment.
    Peace
    Marlinreloader

Hey Bruce! How about you load up a C17 with sandy AKs and a couple of ton of ammo and take them home for the boys! Just be sure to tell the authorities the guns will do a lot less harm State side than where they are now.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I have been shooting the 7.62 X 39 out of a 16" barrel in the Ar platform for at least 6 years now, using an OLYmpic Arms .310 barrel. I get very good accuracy with handloads out to 300 yards, commonly 5-8 inches, typically an inch @ 100. The barrel shoots thinner jacketed j-wurd bulliters in .308 just fine too, including M-2 pulldowns, nato surplus 147s, BTs, TNTs, etc. 150s do well too, as do 110s. I gave up on the premium .310/.311s because of the $ difference. I even got some Barnaul 125 big nosed soft pointss that did well. The Single-shot 30 caliber pistol bullets seem like 30-40 Krag bullets on deer out to 150, Especially the 135 Sierras.

Standard hammer springs often have difficulty lighting off common milsurp primers, so I save that ammo for the sks.

MAGS ARE THE PROBLEM. The best I can find, even recent recent ones from the AR boards, are only reliable with 8 rounds, some from Brownell's had even less capacity. What the heck, Its the platform that counts for civilian use.

I never tried Alloy bullets. But Maybe.......BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Yes this will be for mainly cast boolit shooting with 150-200 gr'ers nothing exotic like a suppressor, just your normal shooting in the 1200-2000 fps range I just didnt want the hassle of trimming and forming the 300 whisper brass as I have several other weapons in the soviet caliber so want to keep commonality ,Just getting bored with the little 223 and I hate buying those Jword bullets anymore!

BvT you said the bore was .310 what is it across the lands? hopefully some normal size like .300!!!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    I never slugged the bore, but it must be tight in as much as it shot most all bullets equally well with the same powders in the 1680---H-322 range, stick or ball.

If I was going to shoot shoot cast a lot I would seek a bullet in the 125-150 grain range, maybe for 32-20, with a gas check, cast a bit harder than ww and tumble lube. I think it is one of those cartridges where you can drive alloy bullets as fast as jacketed. Besides you could play at 300 wisper if you wanted to with alloy. Good shooting, BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

There is a company (can't remember off top of my head) that makes a lower that takes more curved magazines so it will accomodate mags that allow high-capacity 7.62x39s
    The company is Special Weapons, Inc., and the rifle is called the AR-47.
    It actually accepts AK mags.
    You can see it here:
    http://www.sr-25.com/New%20AR47.htm

However, my personal opinion is in line with MakeMineA10mm – AR’s in .300 whisper and 6.8 are way above one in 7.62x39 on my want list.