Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got stung yesterday

Banned

got stung yesterday

Wifes gone to Nashville to visit her son so I figured id buy me a good beef steak and cook it on the grill. I rarely buy beef steak because its so expensive. Venison is the red meat here. I bought a 8 dollar sirloin. Looked like a good steak. My son ate with me so I put a chunk of backstrap on the grill too in case that big beef steak didn't feed both of us. Beef steak was about like shoe leather. My learning disabled son ate a couple bites and gave his half to the dog and went and got some venison off the plate. The venison was twice as tender. About half of mine went to the dog too and I ate the rest of the venison. Sure I could have got a better cut of meat but when small t bones and ribeyes that would barely feed just me are 12 bucks ill pass thank you. Sure wish the days when we could shoot a 1000lb cow buffalo for a grand or less were still here.

Boolit Master

I have not found a good way yet to prepare sirloin that didn't take half a day to marinate or otherwise get ready. Def can't throw it right on the grill. I too had a very tough experience last time I tried that.
    When a beefsteak is what you want, I think splurging on T-bone or Porterhouse is the best answer. It's expensive but grills up well right out of the package without a lot of prep. It's hard for us cheapskates to do, for sure, but that was expensive dog food!
    BDGR

Boolit Master

I try to wait for a meat sale. Last time it was whole ribeye in vacuum sealed packaged for 5.99/lb. It's a lot of money at once, but per steak (lb), it's not so bad. I slice it at home and vacuum sealed 2 steaks per package. Like you, I don't pay 11.99/lb for a steak. And I'd rather eat a steak at home than in 99% of the steak restaurants. Mine tastes better. LOL

Had some New York Strip steak the other day. Usually not my favorite, not as tender as a T-bone, ribeye or porterhouse, but they looked good and the family was hungry for steak and baked potato. Ended up marinating them for a day and a half due to callout from work, so we didn't eat them the first evening. But they were nice and tender when cooked the next night. Best NY Strip I've ever had.

I think the wife and kiddos get tired of venison after a while. I usually make the 4-8 deer we kill into jerky. Reminds me, I need to start clearing the freezer and making jerky in order to refill it come October.

Boolit Master
    I eat sirloin once in a while and enjoy it if it's marinated for a day or so. Right out of the package and it's like eating a shoe. Beat it up a little and add some marinade and let it soak over night or for a day and a half, and it becomes pretty decent. To me, venison is comparable to the very best of the best beef for flavor.

Boolit Buddy
    There is "sirloin" and then there is "Sirloin". A lot of the sirloin being sold nowadays is actually "top sirloin" which comes from the upper part (thigh) of the bovine's hind leg. This is vastly different from the "Sirloin" which comes from next to the backbone. The "Sirloin", also called "New York Strip" is the larger of the two muscles on the T-bone or porterhouse steak. On a deer it would be the backstrap.
    Then there is "grading". Common grades of beef are "Standard", "Select", "Choice", and "Prime". I know of no grocery store that sells "Prime" meat. It almost exclusively goes to fine restaurants. "Choice" is my first go-to grade for a New York Strip steak, although "Texas Star" brand beef is available here in South Mississippi. Their tenderloins in this brand are decent steaks. "Select" and "Standard" grades are best used for stew meat. "(Top) Sirloin, I would not waste my money on it if I wanted a steak. https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal...zr4BEpuht4!/#4

I have abandoned grilling steak at home these days. I prefer to go to a restaurant and order one there.
    It is unusual to get a steak cooked incorrectly in such environments, but if it happens, I find if you ask politely, it will be corrected. If I overcook a steak at home, or if it just isn't a good one to start with, then I'm stuck with it.
    Steak at a restaurant doesn't cost much more if you watch for the local 'steak night'.

YMMV.

Boolit Buddy

We did a Choice Ribeye from a Chain Grocery the other night, was pretty disappointed. Normally I only do Prime that I get from a Local Meat Counter at $12.99 a #, Will do that from now on as I have forbidden SWMBO from buying steak again For the twice a month or that I grill a steak it is worth it
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Grand Master

We can still buy a cow or 1/2 cow at our local college co-op, or so I’m told. Never done it myself. I don’t eat that much beef. Not for want but good meat costs $$$ unless it’s something harvested myself, but haven’t had the time to do much hunting lately.

Boolit Master
    we don't eat much beef here either $$$$ get in the way. I much prefer a real thick slice of moose back strap big scoop of sweet taters and fresh wild blue berrys !!!! UH OH gotta go fire up the grill now

Boolit Master
    We buy just about all of our beef from Costco. I smoke a prime brisket about once every 2 to 3 months and the rest is prime Tri-tip or the occasional choice fillet mignon. 'bout once a month I'll fry a Tri-tip; everything else gets grilled or smoked.
    Once in a blue moon Costco will have Tomahawk steaks; my absolute favorite cut. They're pricey as you-know-what, but I only find them maybe once a year.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    We wait for Omaha Steaks to have a sale and then we stock up on Filet Mignon and Ribeyes. Season them, cook them on a charcoal grill until they're medium rare, and holy cow you're eating good.

We only eat them on special occasions. We do make boneless ribs on a regular basis though. We get the meat straight from the butcher.

Vendor Sponsor

I gave up on sirloin after tonsil cancer, since I have trouble chewing and swallowing any kind of lean meat be it white meat chicken, pork, beef or venison. I buy chuck eye steaks they are the part of the beef between the ribeye and the chuck roast, and they are usually really tender and taste great marinated. They don't stay together too good because they are several muscles attached by fascia but you soon learn the art of cooking them and they are the most affordable beef steak on the market. I can usually get two for $5 and that would feed me and the gf two meals for that $5. YMMV...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

Chuck eyes are great

Boolit Grand Master

Love steak and deer. Probably eat too much of it. We buy ribeyes from Sam's, usually 3 for $28-$30. Sunday night is grill night at our house and I usually enjoy a nice beer then also!

Moderator Emeritus

I grill/broil sirloin all the time and have tender meat. But I start with grass fed organic beef bought direct from the rancher. They butcher younger and smaller animals so the meat is very tender. No marinade, salt, pepper, grill!

Spending half my life on a 200,000 acre ranch, I'd take a good corn fed beef any day over a lean grass fed beef. Way more marbling and tenderness. Theres a reason why feedlots finish cows instead of pasture raising them. Costs a bit more but you get what you pay for

We eat steak and garden taters a couple times a week. If we go out to eat somewhere you can bet we dont order steak. Way better fixings at home.

Boolit Bub
    This is funny I love sirloin one of the more tender steaks. In my opinion Tbones are not only overpriced but have a lot of nerves running through them making them more suited for a stew or dog food then a steak. New York strips are good but expensive. My technique is simple No marinating necessary only rock salt and a grill.
    I’ve even had people ask what do I put on the steak. Then they don’t believe me because it’s too good. It’s too easy all those crazy marinades and whatnot just ruin your steak. Steaks do tend to get much tougher the more you cook them aswell. I usually stop at medium but sometimes will cook it to done. The optimum for a gourmet tender steak is medium-rare.

Banned

don't know but I do know ive had sirloins that about melt in your mouth and in my opinion if you get a good one they have more flavor then about any other cut. Now if I could just learn to tell which ones were like that and which were shoe leather.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I eat sirloin once in a while and enjoy it if it's marinated for a day or so. Right out of the package and it's like eating a shoe. Beat it up a little and add some marinade and let it soak over night or for a day and a half, and it becomes pretty decent. To me, venison is comparable to the very best of the best beef for flavor.

I stopped buying beef at the local grocery store many years ago. Too expensive and not very good quality. A friend of mine started raising a few grass fed steers on his small farm. Beginning of last year I bought 1/2 a side from him, no complaints on my end. I just bought another quarter side from him and reading this thread is making want to thaw out a good steak.

BB

Boolit Buddy
    I only buy a sirloin if it has a bone. It's up there with Crab legs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sirloin.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	224585

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast