Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: Lube after sizing?

Lube after sizing?

Hey all,
    I recently lubed, sized and loaded some .45 ACP. Still being new to casting my question:

How critical is it to re-lube again after sizing? If it's critical, I have 100 round or so to pull.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    I'm sure you have a valid question, but I don't understand what you're getting at.

Boolit Master

I think he lubed with Lee Liquid Alox, sized the boolits and loaded them without re-lubing.

Shoot some and see, they should be okay. I wouldn't pull any until I figured out there was a problem.

Moderator Emeritus

You will be fine shootin those 100 loaded rounds safety-wise.
    On the off chance you happen to have some lead fouling issues, then you just learned you need more lube...and you will learn how to clean a lead fouled barrel. Win-Win
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thanks for the responses. I'll shoot em and not make the mistake again.

Boolit Master
    I've done that didn't have a problem but I lube again after sizing now .I'd shoot them and see if they lead ,sub sonic will probably be fine .

When tumble lubing pistol bullets, I only lube once and that's after they've been sized.
    A deplorable that votes!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    When tumble lubing pistol bullets, I only lube once and that's after they've been sized.
    I also only lube once.

I cast then size.

I then tumble lube with one very thin coat.

Works great.

Steve in N CA

In Remembrance

Lee Alox directions call for lubing before sizing to avoid "leading the sizing die" then tumble lubing the boolits again before loading. While this does make the sizing operation a bit easier, it is unnecessary to lube boolits before sizing unless they are very hard and you are sizing several thousandths. With a low-pressure round like .45ACP, little to no boolit lube is required if they are sized ,001 to .002 over groove diameter. Go ahead and shoot the ammo you have loaded. If you have any leading issues increase the "size-to" diameter another thousandth. Your accuracy will improve as well. I size my .45ACP boolits .453 as my various .45s have groove diameters ranging from .451" to .4525." I get considerably better accuracy with these over .451" diameter boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

The OP didn't mention alox/tumble lubing...

Depends on the lube you used. If you tumble lubed prior to sizing, you may encounter some leading. If you used a wax based lube filling the lube grooves it's not necessary to lube after sizing. Alox works best if the surface of the bullet is coated, not just the lube grooves. Worse case scenerio you'll get leading. Shoot a few and check the barrel...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I lube/size all my boolits then coat with BLL for that “extra” lube protection.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Conventionally lubed boolits run through a Star or Lyman loober are VERY clean on the bands and all of the lube is in the grooves. Why would tumble lubed need to be any different?

Md2hunt, even without knowing what your method of lubing is I would say that you shouldn't need to lube again after sizing. Welcome to CastBoolits and a serious addiction!
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I put a small rub of Imperial Sizing Die Wax on bullets that you want lube all over, AKA Black Powder Cartridge, then I pan lube those.
    I do the same when I use Ben's LL as I want lube on the drive bands.
    "There's a Fine Line Between Hobby and Mental Illness"!

Boolit Man
    I know this is an old thread but I'd like to have a clear idea about bullet bearing surfaces. if you are using conventional lyman lube you have grease just in grooves and not on bearing surfaces so I can imagine the lube will melt reducing friction during the trip of the bullet. If you use alox IMHO you can tumble as you like, before or after sizing or both but when bullet is seated lubricant is scraped from the bearing surfaces by the inner of the case neck. So why have headaches?

Back when I used the Lee push thru sizer and liquid alox I found that it was difficult to size the bullets dry. The process was much easier after lubing. I tumble lubed and then use the push thru sizer and loaded without a second lube. I didn't find the lube was scraped off and I didn't have any leading problems. Now I use a RCBS lubrisizer and fill the groove completely.
    I think with the liquid alox you need to have the entire bullet coated as you don't have a measure of lube in the grease groove.