RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Is there an adapter for the Lyman 55 powder measure to a Lee powder through die?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar

Is there an adapter for the Lyman 55 powder measure to a Lee powder through die?

Since my wife and I have moved in to a condo and my reloading space is smaller, I'm sort of re-doing and re-thinking my reloading. I've been able to accumulate three of the vintage orange Lyman 55 powder measures and I'd like to adapt them to my Lee Power Through expander dies.

So . . . I have the drops for the Lyman 55s and they slide right in to the top of the Lee PTD - but of course they aren't threaded so the Lyman 55 drop tubes can't really be attached solidly. Before I figure something out, I thought I'd ask if anyone makes an adapter that fits in the top of the Lee PTD where it would be solid and the 55 drop be screwed in?

I use a number of the Lyman 310 dies with the steel tongs as well as I have a Lyman Tru-Line press. In looking at this, if I can't find an adapter, I'm thinking I could take a 310 "seating die" - remove the seating step, drill out the top and then JB weld it into the top of the Lee PTD. (I have some odd 310 dies/parts).

So, if anyone makes an adapter that will work and fit the Lyman 55 to attach it in to the top of the Lee powder through die - could you point me in the right direction?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I load on a Lee 4 hole turret press. I seat and crimp in two different operations so the turret plate is full with the 4 dies and no spare hole to attach the Lyman 55 in an empty hole with one of the 310 bushings - otherwise, it wouldn't be an issue and I would just put it between the expander die and the seating/crimp die.

Many thanks.

Jim

I have such an adapter that I used with my RCBS uniflow measure. You can't use the drop tubes with it, but I didn't need to since a funnel was built in. I purchased it on eBay years ago and can't help you beyond that since my purchase history doesn't go back far enough.
    It didn't screw in to the die. It was fitted with O rings and was a hard push in fit. I used it on my Lee Classic cast turret so it will accept some vibration without coming loose. It was made of aluminum.
    I may have one still here. I would have to look.

If the bottom of the Lyman 55 is threaded differently than 7/8 X 14 it won't work. I don't have a 55 so I don't know for sure.
    Last edited by tazman; 07-25-2018 at 09:20 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jim,

At one time, at least, every new Lyman 55 came with an adaptor bushing to do just what you describe... step up the Lyman 55 drop tube to standard 7/8 X 14. The bushings were still in the Lyman catalog when I last looked. Let me know if you can't find them. BTW, they frequently show up in people's junk boxes... and I've seen them used to put a full set of TruLine Jr dies on a standard press.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I tried to get Lee to manufacture one in 2015. Went out of my way to send them this drawing & explain how handy it would be on my turret.
    They were not receptive nor friendly at all, I was surprised. I bought one of the o-ring slip in types but don't like them because they will rotate in the die top.

A handloader amateur machinist down in Texas caught wind of it somehow, contacted me and offered to make me one for free. I gracefully accepted and my adapter problems were solved.

It's ironic how it turned out with Lee as their powder through die is more of a flairing die than an expander for oversized cast. Now we are waiting on NOE to make aftermarket hollow plugs we can use in this die. I've heard talk of it but not seen anything yet.
    Lee's universal expander die went the same route...NOE had to make expanders that were practical to use with their die body.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

tazman - I found the adapter that you talk about - thanks much! It is still being sold on flea bay

Green Frog - thanks. I have a couple of the bushings you mentioned to adapt the 5/8" die to 7/8' die hole. My problem is that I'm using a 4 hole turret to load all of my pistol brass with 4 dies as I seat and crimp in two different operations - otherwise, that bushing would be the berries to put the 55 in the hole after the expanding die.

I've looke at it and I think I want to keep the distance between the measure and the hole in the powder through die as short as possible. The threaded drops that come with the 55 will slide in to the cup of the powder through die but there is no way to secure it - tape might work but I'd like to do a more permanent way. I think I[m going to see if I can find some tubing that is 5/8" OD and cut a "stub". That would slide in to the 55 and be secured by the set screw that holds the drops in place. I think I will try to drill a hole in the side of one of the flats on the top cup of the powder through die - tap it for a small hex head set screw. That way, I could just use the stub to connect the 55 to the die with light pressure on the stub with the set screws to hold it so it doesn't rotate in the die. That way, I wouldn't have to JB weld a stub in the powder through die which would also allow me to put in my Lee powder funnel when I wanted to us it for weighing out sample loads.

Now to find some 5/8" O.D. tubing! I can't remember what some of the copper tubing/pipe measures out at or even PVC. A trip to the hardware with my dial callers will probably be in order.

On a side note - I always thought that the small/large powder drop tubes for the 55s were threaded just the same as the 310 dies and had a die nut on them. I looked at some of the 55s on flea bay and ran across one that appeared to have a drop that looked to be constructed the same as the threaded drops on the inside - but - the one I looked at appeared to be unthreaded - were these intended for use with the 55 mounted on a powder measure stand? Seems as if they were, it was a duplication of an un-needed item as the threaded drops would work just as easily with the 55 mounted on a stand.

OS OK - you really put a lot of work into that! Looks good! I have and use a bunch of Lee items - and also other brands that, some of which, may be as old as I am and many out of business now. I'm not really surprised at the response you got t=fro Lee though . . . . after all, it's only good if they come up with it, and then it;s great. Nuff said. I found the adapter that taxman mentioned and it looks like it would work very well - especially on Lee's perfect powder measure. I can;t think of a better item to carry with their measure . . . but then . . . as they say . . . "you can lead a horse to water . . . . "

Thanks everyone. When I get this figured out, I'll post some photos. Hopefuly the top cup of the Lee powder through die isn't so hard that I can't drill it n a drill press for a hole to thread for a set screw.

Thanks again!

Jim
    Last edited by Pressman; 07-26-2018 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Ebay links are never allowed

Not sure the one you posted will work with the Lyman. I think the Lee powder measure may have different threads.
    The one I have is in a picture at the bottom of the link you posted.
    Last edited by tazman; 07-26-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Banned
    Yes, I know it's frustrating, but these are the established board rules.

OK. Sorry.

Pressman - my sincere apologies - a senior moment and I wasn't thinking on the link usage - rules are rules and I stand corrected.

Banned
    Bedbugbilly, the early 55's did not work have a threaded drop tube.
    I am not familiar with the Lee die but I was wondering if you could Acra Glas a Lyman tube inside the top piece.

Boolit Man
    I was using a Lyman 55 for Black Powder on a Dillon 550 at one time.

I took a Dillon powder die & a 1" or so piece of copper pipe & leaded it in the top. A 55 short nipple will slip in.
    (You could tap the pipe for a set screw to hold the 55's nipple.)

That way I could use the Dillon powder funnel to bell the case mouth as normal & then dump the powder from the 55 when the case was in the die at the top of the stroke.

Since I was wanting to run a drop tube I then went further & cut the neck off a bottle necked rifle case to use as a reducer to a tube running up to the 55 which was clamped to a shelf above the press.

Worked great for 1,000's of rounds.

Well Arat after all these years lyman and lee has been around only one guy has made a adapter that is threaded together and dosent use orings for a friction fit. If only i could of gotten that lathe this past winter. My thinking is make a bushing that fits the measure itself and have the bottom threaded to fit the die directly instead of measure-adapter-oring adapter-die. Cause i like stuff simple and elegant
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Master
    The tube on my 55 is a nice fit in the nut for a funnel that comes with the Lee powder die .
    It looks like a guy could drill and tap the side of it for a brass set screw.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E34C94B1-222C-4379-B26F-808DBE84B77C.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	267219

Yeah im gonna figure something out one of these days even if i have to braze the 2 fittings together i have been watching this thread hoping someone would come up with a product but now im tired of waiting and gonna probably do something drastic that will be ugly but serviceable. Mine is ancient but works good no fine adjustment screws and only one adapter so i may have to pick up the other adapters later if i feel im gonn need em but as of yet i have no use for em

Boolit Grand Master
    Since this discussion is dragging on so long, I’ll jump back in and suggest you get the Lyman Through-the-Die Multi Caliber Expander Die. This unit comes equipped with a variety of inserts to expand and bell case mouths, made hollow to allow the powder measure mounted on top (7/8 X 14 threads) to drop powder straight through. I’ve used my two with Lyman 55 (w/adaptor) or RCBS Little Dandy among others. Best solution I’ve found so far.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    Froggie is correct, the Lyman is a good product and too often overlooked.. It is worth the investment. But, that's just my opinion.

Well i guess i can share my homemade adapter if ya want to call it that but its worked for a long time. Pretty much ya take a soda can or other piece of metal and cut it so ya end up with about 10 inches long and maybe 3/4 in wide coil it up and place it in the top of the powder thru die then grab the inside of it and it will telescope out then i place the bushing down into the center of the aluminum and if the aluminum is cut to the right length it will press in but be warned it is a pain to get out if it is just right which is the way i like it nice and secure. Just wish i had a screw in type adapter i get tired of hacked together messes

Froggie, thanks! I had never heard of the Lyman powder die. I will be ordering one or two.
    What I did was make a riser out of plywood to mount a RCBS powder stand on with wing nuts for quick change mounting. I have a Uni-Flo, and a Lyman 55 mounted on RCBS stands as well. Takes less the a minute to change to a different measure. To me this eliminates the weight of the measure clunking around on the turret. If the Classic Turret press is full of four dies, then you can still use the measure of your choice and just pull the cartridge case, fill, and replace in the press for the next operation.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	267871

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	267872

I got this idea from Ben on this forum.

It would be nice if NOE would offer their expanders with a powder through option.