Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: feeling kinda guilty

feeling kinda guilty

earlier in the month, I ordered some new Hornady .45-70 reloading dies from midway. I was pleased to find out that there was a rebate, of sorts, FREE BULLETS!!

I printed the coupon, and it said it needed proof of purchase, the appropriate postage & handling, and the UPC sticker from the box. first, it did not say how much S&H. so, I figured that was for something else, because the coupon did say the bullets were free. as for the UPC, I was doing all of this at my house, on the computer, and I did not want to walk 275 feet to my shop and the same back [in the dark, BTW] for the UPC. I figured they made the dern bullets, and they should know the UPC. so, I mailed the receipt from midway, and proof of purchase.

a few days later, I received a letter saying they could not ship the bullets because of lack of S&H and the UPC sticker.

I e-mailed them and said that they should know the UPC, and since they did not specify the amount of S&H, I did not include it. I also quoted Merriam-Webster on the meaning of free. if I had to pay, then they were not free.

this is getting too long.

well, today, I received the bullets anyway. my favorites, my go-to JHP bullets, a nice shiny box of XTPs. been using them for years. they also threw in a very nice Hornady hat, as well. they decided to make an exception to their rules and send them anyway, even though I did not meet their criteria. they wanted me to be happy, and I guess they felt I was upset. they went out of their way to smooth my feathers.

it has been my experience that most firearm related companies, do very well in trying to make their customers happy. I feel that Hornady did a great job in trying to keep a grumpy old fart like me happy. I tip my new Hornady hat to them. way to go Hornady!! I mailed the initial letter on 7/09, and I received them today, 7/25, pretty dern good.

I feel guilty, I kinda feel like I was a jerk. even more guilty because they were so gracious throughout the process.

a big thumbs up to Hornady, and thanks to them. I am also sending them an e-mail telling them I was a jerk, and to thank them.

Boolit Buddy

Sounds to me they did exactly what they should have.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    "And folks, for the price of one, we'll throw in a free second one . . . all you pay is shipping and handling . . . "

I love ads like the above or for free stuff - kind of reminds a person of a snake oil salesman. LOL

My experience has been pretty much the same with gun related companies. A satisfied customer is a repeat customer. Glad you got your bullets.

A number of years ago, I purchased a new Ruger SR9 - my first semi-auto as I've always shot revolvers. I put a number of rounds though it and it shot great - I was very impressed with it. I already owned a number of Ruger revolvers and were pleased with them as well. I believe in giving praise when it's deserved so I sat down and wrote a letter to Ruger - telling them of my purchase and how happy I was with the SR9. I expected nothing in return - I just wanted them to know that they had at least one satisfied customer. Several weeks went by and I received a box from Ruger. I couldn't imagine what was in it as I hadn't ordered anything. When I opened it, I found a letter thanking me for my letter to them - along with a Ruger SR9 ball cap, a Ruger SR9 Tee shirt and a nice Ruger "print" of a western landscape. I've never forgotten that kind gesture on their part and because of it, I've purchased a number of Rugers since them - and have been happy with them all.

Boolit Man
    All the coupons I use have a note with the 100 FREE BULLET statement showing S&H for each order. I think the UPC deal is for actual proof of purchase on each product vs. someone recycling same receipt over and over again.

100 FREE BULLETS Please include $6.95 shipping and handling

I think I have gotten close to 2,000 bullets from them over the past few years. Speaking of that I have two more coupons to send in on my new dies..LOL

Greg
    The best gun for self defense? Any loaded one will do.

Boolit Master
    Keep in mind in the manufacturing world the COGS - aka cost of goods sold is usually less than 50% of the retail price. Sometimes way less. The cost of the bullets is very little. The cost of the packing and shipping is relatively substantial for an individual retail transaction.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    i won a free stereo system once ...all i had to do was pay the shipping /handling and insurance!

which was $89.95

HMMM i thought.

went to radio shack and saw the same lousy stereo system for $69.95.

you "win" nothing ...they were selling them under the guise of a contest.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Truly glad your experience with hornady went well . My dealings with them have been far less successful.

Boolit Master
    I get those offers all the time.. "We have a flashlite used by Navy Seals to crack skulls" or a knife, or any number of stuff for free, just pay shipping and handling..... I've moved those addresses to my "spam" file....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Hornady are good folk.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.