MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Judgmentalism

Moderator Emeritus

One would THINK that we all have a right to express our perceptions and beliefs, and be taken respectfully and seriously, but human beings don't seem to be either willing or able to do that oftentimes. Our "innate" natures seem to make us divisive, puffed up and "holier than thou" on so many, many occasions.

Love was the first and greatest gift that Christ bequeathed us, and love doesn't and actually CAN'T do what we so often do. In order to stand in judgment one over the other, we need to lay down our love first, and THEN proceed with whatever manifestation of Satan's will we think we need to go with at that time. Any time we lay down that gift of Love that's supposed to exist between all believers, even if we aren't always uniform in ALL our perceptions and interpretations, we err, and we err very egregiously, I think.

This world was never meant to be one big frat party. It was always meant to be a testing and proving ground, with many respites and feasts among the labors and famines every life sooner or later confronts. We're all in this life together. It's such a shame we can't work together respectfully so very much more than we tend to. To the extent that we find we can't share our love, one with the other, to that degree, we have forsaken Christ and His teachings, and taken the bit in our mouths, and gone our own way, and not the Lord's.

And it's SUCH an easy trap to fall into! Is there one among us who hasn't fallen into it at some time or another? But Christ provided us with forgiveness, and a chance to do better tomorrow, and maybe even atone for our past errors. What a wonderful Lord and Savior we have!

Boolit Master
    One translation of the Bible reads;"Judge not unrighteously." We are called on daily to judge people, things, and ideas, and, I believe, required to do that, to protect our families, ourselves and society. We have to watch carefully that we don't judge "self-righteously". Just because "We are all human, and we all do it." doesn't give permission.
    I am reminded of an old, old ('50s) Hank Williams song; "The bad girl that lives down the street". Probably I have farbled the title, but it was exactly what is being discussed here.

Woops: I think the title was "Be careful of the stones that you throw!" Or something close.
    Last edited by sniper; 01-02-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    This!

Or else why would we be warned that we will be judgedby the way we judge.

Boolit Master
    "No judgment is poor judgment" or having no judgment is having poor judgment.

You HAVE to have judgment or you won't survive. There are different kinds of judgment. There hasty judgment, pre-judgment, sound judgment and probably more. Generally speaking, if you really and truly refrain from judgments you become stupid.

When Christ said "judge not lest ye be judged" I don't think he meant to have no discernment whatsoever. Why? Because the "judge not" phrase is in Matthew 7:1 and by verse 6, Christ is telling us not to cast pearls before swine. The pearls and swine are metaphors. Swine is a metaphor for a type of person. So Christ is telling us that some people are pigs (not literally), i.e. people who cannot be trusted with things of great value. So we have to discern or judge people in order to obey verse 6.

Also - this whole "judge not" mantra seems to be an affect of our liberal culture. I can find no historical instances where some saint or great holy person has quoted this passage and used it in the way modern western culture uses it. We basically use it to justify sin. If there is such a historical interpretation please point me to him/her.

It seems as though we understand this to mean, "Hey! I got a 'get out of jail free' card! All I have to do is turn a blind eye on my brother's sin and I'll skate right through Judgment Day!" This is soooo 1960's.

As for seeking the truth. Be sincere. Seek the truth because truth, beauty, and goodness are all one. So if you choose what is true you will automatically choose what is good and beautiful. It may look rough or feel painful at the moment, but in the end it will yield beauty.

But a word of caution to the truth seekers - Whatchagonnado when you find truth? I see a lot of so-called truth seekers who encounter a nugget of truth, realize that they ought to change their opinion, or change the way the live, and then proceed to quietly set the nugget down and go on their merry way looking for some other truth. Some other truth that suits them better.

But there is only one . . .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    I spent a lifetime in L.E. and had to judge; but was taught to judge on the circumstance and not the person......being a parent you have to judge to raise your own children....you know when they lie to you and you punish them for their transgression and not the person again. With all the hate surrounding us I do judge to survive but it sure is difficult to not judge the act and to instead judge the individual...I am a work in progress.
    I think there is an old saying amongst L.E.'s about being careful of the kid you bust for underage drinking - they grow up to become mayors (and even police chiefs) so even though they committed a crime treat them like a human being.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    This!

Or else why would we be warned that we will be judgedby the way we judge.
    I would gladly be judged by the way I judge.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    One would THINK that we all have a right to express our perceptions and beliefs, and be taken respectfully and seriously, but human beings don't seem to be either willing or able to do that oftentimes...……...
    You might have the "right to express our perceptions and belief" but whether they are "taken respectfully and seriously" will depend on what you have to say and the merits there of.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12