RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Will a SWC feed through a Win 1873"

Boolit Master

Will a SWC feed through a Win 1873"

I have read that cast SWC bullets don't feed reliably through lever action rifles.

I want to know if the RCBS bullet mold 45-270-SAA which casts a SWC bullet, will feed through a Win 1873. Also will it carry enough lube for a 24" barrel to use with BP?

I have a Miroku built Winchester 1873 in 45 Colt on order, so I want to start acquiring powder and bullet supplies to feed it.

I have a LEE 452-255-RF-DC mold that I cast with 20:1 alloy for my Ruger New Vaqueros, it works with BP in a 5.5" barrel. This bullet has very small lube grooves, I'm not sure if it will work through a 24" barrel with BP.

I also have a SAECO #955 255 gr. RNFP that I haven't cast with yet. I got it for the RNFP style, weight and what looks like a big lube groove. Hopefully it will work in a 24" barrel with BP.

I'm sure I have will work with smokeless powders in short and long barrel.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 07-25-2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Can't answer the specifics but I have had no trouble firing cast/lubed SWC from my Marlin 1894, smokeless and black.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

The 1873 is a straight in push out of the carrier block, unlike 1892's and 1894's ( both of these are ramp feed) . Less chance of a feeding problem with (SWC's) semi wadcutters out of the 1873's and 1866's. As long as you have the correct cartridge overall length, you should feed fine.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

Square butte is correct, I have a Miroku 1873, the oal is what's important, because of the way the action works.

Boolit Buddy
    My 1873 Miroku 357 feeds everything I have run through it with out a hitch.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I don't have much Lever Gun experience but have an idea; If you want Keith-like ballistics and can pick a TC (truncated cone) bullet, that might feed better than an SWC in a lever gun, and would have a nice flat meplat for safety and hard impact on game. Maybe someone has tried those?

I have a Uberti 1873 .44 Magnum and it won't feed the cast bullet from the Lee SWC mould for diddly, but it will a bullet from the RCBS 44-250KT wonderfully. I have the RCBS 45 mould you're talking about and love it for my revolvers but have never tried it in a lever.

As far as lube capacity and BP goes, I've found there are a couple of things to consider. First and foremost is the powder. In my 1866 Uberti Sporting Rifle 44-40 with its 24" barrel, I've tried some old GOEX and some new Swiss 3Fg. Even with this bullet:

...and it's giant lube groove, the GOEX would foul the bore out in 5 rounds while the Swiss was good for 25 or more. Granted, I was using a bullet lube designed for smokeless powder (TAC-1, available here in the vendors section), but it proves that good quality powder fouls less.

I have one of the Lee moulds you're talking about and I don't think there's any way that bullet would work in a 24" barrel. I'd suggest you look at one of these:

It'll hold plenty of lube for BP, but can be used just as well for smokeless. I use the .44 caliber version for smokeless and BP in my 44-40. Heck, last year I shot a buck with it. NOE frequently has 15% off sales, just sign up for their email specials and you'll know when they happen.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member