RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersPBcastco
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: sprinkled hot metal with HF and nice job

Boolit Master

sprinkled hot metal with HF and nice job

The hot metal is an older RCBS die set that I had to anneal so I could mutilate the original (243) into my 8x51. I did all the lathe work and some drill press work and the red paint acts like it is part of the metal. All I did was sprinkled red on the top of die and left air cool. So if we want to paint some hand tools, I would not be in a puddle of fear over baking in a stove as you will not need it from "my" experience. Yours might be different. Kinda like this stuff.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Vendor Sponsor

Pics or it didn't happen
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Man
    You aren't going to anneal or remove the temper any type of steel at 400 degrees, no way, no how. Powder coating is handy stuff. Bake away!

Boolit Master
    I have coated any number of items this way. Hand tools that have lost their finish and rust just sandblast and PC. I heat whatever to 350-400 degrees then quickly remove it from the oven and spray with my PC gun. The powder flows on contact on the hot metal, so you can see your coverage and lay on several mils of coating. Then I return the item to the oven and cure as normal. I learned this process from a coating professional years ago. A great way to preserve you tools as well as having a color to identify what is yours.

Boolit Master
    I can not get pics on board here, too dumb. Could do it earlier but not in the last few years.

Concerning the hot metal, was done with a torch!! We are talking serious heat.I figure the cool down was enough heat to bake and do a quality job.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    The cure is a combination temperature and time. Getting a surface too hot can damage the powder and degrade the coating. Just because the coating flows and is shiny, does not mean it is properly cured. The object has to be at the proper temp usually 400 degrees for usually 10 minutes. To maintain a constant temp & time you need an oven, you can't do it with a torch, but you may get a coating you are happy with. The only way I know of to open cure (without and oven) is with infrared as this process can be monitored for time & temp.