RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Sages new 303 checks

Boolit Grand Master

Sages new 303 checks

Has anyone tried these new deeper 30 caliber gas checks yet?

I've been trying gas check bullets in 327 federal, and having mixed results. With plain base, I'll get shots spread rather evenly, and have shot some rather nice groups. With gas check bullets, I have a .284" shank, and I'm using Sage's standard copper 30 caliber checks, and sizing to .314". The first thing I noticed was the gas checks do not seem to crimp on very tight, and I could pull them off by hand if I wanted. On target, I'll get some holes touching, but lots and lots of flyers. I have to think some gas checks are falling off and causing them. I have yet to have a gas check bullet perform better than plain base. I am going to try annealing the checks I have, but also noticed the new and deeper gas checks. I am wondering if these will stay on better. The gas check shank is long enough to accept them.

Some shanks taper aggressively small at the bottom and the deeper cup makes a difference. It covers the larger diameter part of the shank. But, its just a taller 30 cal gas check.

If your using the .015 version, .314 is the max sizing. So a full .284 shank is needed for good holding. I can't pull off .015 aluminum checks off my bullets, but we have a nice hard alloy that drops nice full .284 shanks.

A .017 copper gas check is best for .314 and above. I size the .303's to .318 on very hard bullets, can't pull them off by hand at all. Made some .303's the other day and crushed the bullet trying to get them off with pliers. The hard bullets like the .017 gilding brass / 210 copper best in my experience. The guys shooting paper targets with softer lead alloys like the .015 thick 110 copper version. They recover the bullets sometimes and the gas checks are still in place.

Boolit Grand Master

I do have a full, non-tapered .284" shank. It looks like the gator checks I am currently using are .017", but I do like soft alloys. I think I will try the taller gas checks, and see how they do.

In Remembrance
    Usually the Gator 30's work good on a straight shank like that. The extra tall .303 gas checks will have more surface to bite on though. Gators are made with .017 gilding brass best I can tell.

I've been really happy with the .015 copper 30's with the softer allows, but I don't shoot .314 personally. I would think a .017 thick .303 or the .018 Aluminum .303 would work fine.