RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't normally pick nits but:

Boolit Grand Master

The current crop of western writers are not much different..."I carry the Webley bulldog because it takes the same ammo as my 73 and my #3 Schoefield". Oh Ya?

The Great Escape, where the German BMW suddenly becomes a 650 Triumph for the famous jump scene.
    Cognitive Dissident

One of the things that always got me in some westerns was the guns always looked 100 years old! You'd think a western set in the late 1800's would have pretty new SAA, and lever actions too? How did those guys wear all the finish off their guns so quickly?

Boolit Master
    I hate to say it, but I'm an eye for movie and TV anomalies what ever they are. I don't point them out often because it drives my wife crazy, but I see all kinds of them. The first time I think I noticed a boo boo in a move was watching Roots. They where working the cotton with mules and hoes, the camera panned out, and there on the turn rows you could see the tractor tracks turning for the 8 row cultivators nice and pretty all the way down the field! Some directors take great pride in trying to get it rite though. The Last of the Mohicans had a reward of some kind to anyone who could find a blooper.

Boolit Master

Well I give "Open Range" an A for effort, they went to great lengths to get things right. Not only were the guns right, '73 Winchesters and a few Yellow Boys instead of everyone and their uncle being armed with the standard and very wrong '92 Winchesters and Boss Spearman's Remington revolver, but they had the clothing in order too. Although I think that probably there were to many Colt SAAs, with not a S&W in sight unless I missed it, it was still refreshing to see things more like it really was instead of the usual Hollywood nonsense. There were many other little details too such as the old style poured glass windows that slightly distorted the view when looking through them, it was fun looking for the correct little details for a change instead of the glaring mistakes so common in Hollywood westerns.
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

The naming the movie escapes me ; maybe the Seven Masters, it was a spaghetti western to the max; took place in “old Mexico” just after the civil war, the banditos attacked a Monastery with with Bren machine guns.

Boolit Master

I think it was Red Badge of Courage that had a lot of troops running around with trapdoors.

Though. . .if I was producing a historical film like that, the notion of turning a bunch of extras with loose black powder & percussion caps is a bit unnerving.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    The TV series the Rifleman ,used a 32/20 winchester I believe ,but had 45/70 cartridges in his belt . Read that some where ,not sure if thats correct , never seen a repeat of here in Aust since it played years ago when I was a tin
    lid.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I recall watching one Western and noticing, in the sky above the old west, a Jet Contrail slowly streaking across the sky :P Not quite period, that!

Boolit Master
    Yep, a bunch of contrails on movies. I remember one movie set in pre internal combustion engine days, where a yellow VW Beetle was coming down a mountain road in the background!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    The TV series the Rifleman ,used a 32/20 winchester I believe ,but had 45/70 cartridges in his belt . Read that some where ,not sure if thats correct , never seen a repeat of here in Aust since it played years ago when I was a tin
    lid.
    That was Wanted Dead or Alive,Josh Randall carried a Mare's Leg

Boolit Grand Master

The thing about ctg guns in the movies is that the prop men love them as they are easier to verify as empty which is done almost hourly when shooting. When we carried M/L in a movie we had to empty our pouches and our powder horns and have our guns checked before going on the set. That and the misfire problem with real M/L is why there were so many trap doors made into replica flinters for the movies.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigEyeBob View Post
    lid.
    Well. . .then there's calling the show "The Rifleman" when the main character is running around in the classic Old West period with a pistol-caliber carbine from 1892. . .

And yes. . .belts of .45-70. . .quite a few of those appeared on the belts of cavalrymen in Hostiles, but I think the only gun in that movie that COULD have been a .45-70 was an 1886 carried by one of the unfriendlies.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Ever notice Sgt Shultz's Krag?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I see nothing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

i know nothing!!!

Boolit Master

ZULU !
    In the climactic scene near the end you will notice some of the soldiers in the 2nd & 3rd rank shooting "Long Lees".
    GEEZ, I love that movie, saw it in the theatre when it came out. Those GIANT BURNING LETTERS in the opening credits really impressed this 10yr old kid.
    Not too realistic historically, but a great movie to just enjoy.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    There is a pretty good series on Netflix right now called "Hollywood Weapons."

It deals with some of the stunts done and whether they are plausible or actually even do-able.

Boolit Master

AH someone else noticed that. There were also Tommy guns carried by German soldiers and some correct subguns.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12