RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Classic car wax

Boolit Master

Classic car wax

Have an old can 30+ years old of Classic car wax. Have heard about the use of Johnson's wax as a ingredient for bullet lube. Has anyone used an old car wax like this as part of a bullet lube?. Does say on the can it does have carnuba wax as an ingredient. Thanks. Frank

Boolit Master
    It may work. I use JPW straight from the can with no additives as lube for most of my 30-30 boolits. Works great with no leading. I've looked at car wax, but have enough JPW to last many many moons...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Moderator Emeritus

What's in Classic car wax?

Some "car wax" has clay and/or light abrasives...something has to remove the oxidation from the car's finish, right?
    I would recommend NOT using car wax as a lube ingredient.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    The primary ingredient that we all want when we use JPW, or any other commercial wax product, is Carnauba. Many commercial wax products have unwanted other ingredients and some have so little carnauba as to be laughable. So why not just buy pure Carnauba wax. It's available from many sources. That's what I do. Here's one source.....

https://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html

Boolit Master
    Jon, would have to dig up the can. Does have a very strong wax smell. But as you say it probably does have some form of abrasive in it to clean off the oxidation off the cars paint while waxing it. What with today's high tech and possibly clear coat finishes waxes like this are probably obsolete. Haven't used polishing compound (white stuff by turtle wax) in a bunch of years, did that first after washing then polished washed then waxed. Had a black Mercury Marquis that when done looked really great. Which is why when I got the Isuzu Trooper that wax and polishing compound went on the shelf. Way too much time and effort. Thanks for all your suggestions and comments. Frank

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Has anyone used an old car wax like this as part of a bullet lube?. Does say on the can it does have carnuba wax as an ingredient.
    Read the ingredients printed on the can and then think it over
    Regards
    John

I use mothers California gold step 3 in my lube.
    It is near 100% carnauba wax.
    No abrasives in this stuff

In Remembrance

For what the cost of Lars bullet lubes cost and the ease of getting about anything you want, I`d go that route and be sure what you are getting to use.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    For what the cost of Lars bullet lubes cost and the ease of getting about anything you want, I`d go that route and be sure what you are getting to use.Robert
    Yep for sure. My lube making days are way behind me.

Boolit Master
    Went out to the garage and darned if I could find the can. Bought it when there were no clear coat finished vehicles, just plain paint. So as was suggested most likely does have some form of abrasive. Just thought I'd run this with those who have way more experience than me. Frank

If the label says 'cleaner wax' or 'polish' it definitely has rubbing compound in it.

Might work for some sort of barrel lapping project, or in your brass tumbler, but I sure wouldn't use it for much else.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

The polishing compound in car wax is a very fine, soft abrasive. Probably not useful for barrel lapping. Turtle Wax Chrome polish has a much more aggressive abrasive which is useful as a bore polish.

I would rather buy my waxes pure. Carnauba is a little expensive, but we use so little in lube it is inconsequential compared to powder and primers. Also why use a commercial product which can change or be discontinued.

The meek shall inherit the earth - 6 feet of it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginsing View Post
    I use mothers California gold step 3 in my lube.
    It is near 100% carnauba wax.
    No abrasives in this stuff

You might want to check the MSDS on that wax. Below I have copied and pasted the ingredients that I found for that wax. Pure carnauba wax is hard and brittle and can't be used in high percentages in any car wax. I think what Mother's implies is that one of their ingredients is 100% pure carnauba.

* Naphtha (petroleum), heavy alkylate - 64741-65-7 - 25-50%

* Paraffinic, naphthenic solvent - 64742-47-8 - 25-50%

* Calcined kaolin clay - 66402-68-4 - <10%

* Turpentine - 8006-64-2 - 1-5%

*Paraffin - 8002-74-2 - 1-5%
    *The exact percentage (concentration) of composition has been withheld as a trade secret.

Boolit Master
    Think you guys are right. Way easier to buy bullet lube rather than making my own. Just thought I'd ask about the classic wax as I never heard of anyone using it. Frank

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I agree with ED, use the pre wax cleaner in
    your tumbler.
    In fact I use Mothers pre wax cleaner in
    with my corn cob to tumble my boolets.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

No abrasives in step 3 mother's
    Just turpentine, and naphtha
    I use it as an alternative to Johnsons paste wax which is unobtainable in Canada.
    Trust me I did my research to make certain it didn't contain abrasives.

Step 1 products, Cleaners, Step 2 products, polishes with clays,pumice other super fine grits, step 3 wax MgGuires, Mothers is 99.9% Caranuba wax, expensive wax for our purposes unless unobtainable.Most commercial auto wax's have some sort of cleaner in them often labeled as wax/cleaner,crappy for auto finishes even crappier for bullet lube.

BTW if you want the best finish on your new truck/car do the 4 step method ,1 wash, 2 clean, 3 polish,4 wax. do this once and maintain with wax. Eye popping show room paint for your daily driver,this will restore marginal paint as well.
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 02-04-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    Been driving the same truck for almost 12 years it's birtday as to when I got it was in june 07. Too darn old to do all the washing. So off to the car wash. Frank