MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silicone gun rags

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Silicone is very difficult to get off of wood stocks if you want to refinish the wood.

I have been using silicone rags for about 50 years. They are very good for keeping metal clean. I wipe off rifles, hand guns and shot guns but try to avoid touching wood. When new and clean they are excellent for glossy scope tubes.
    When old and cruddy they are good for wiping off brass cases and ammo. The rags will remove fresh powder soot from case necks and will prevent brass and loaded ammo from tarnishing.
    That is good to know. I never tried that particular use.

Boolit Master
    If you ever get silicone into the wood you will NEVER get it out, and you will NEVER be able to refinish the stock, EVER! I won't allow a silicone rag, or any product with silicone in its formulation within 10 feet of any firearm I own! If you have anything with nice wood on it you'd do well to educate yourself about how silicone is poison to any kind of finishing process. If silicone contaminates steel paint won't bond well either, many fancy liquid auto wipe shines contain silicone and will void a paint job guarantee if used on a car body. Silicone is the biggest farce that's ever been foisted upon the owners of fine firearms, EVER! DON'T USE IT!

Boolit Master
    There is a channel on Utube were this person shows how to make you own wiping rags very cheaply. He uses nothing but mineral oil which is available at most any drug store or grocery store. He applies a small amount to a piece of flannel and just wipes everything down then stores the rag in a zip lock bag. If I can figure out to put a link to the channel, I will.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master
    I hope this link works.
    https://utube/o8-MPsV2Wr2
    If not, the channel is GunBlue490 and the video name is " How to oil and lubricate your gun( and how NOT to)- New in HD"
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12