Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam...

Oh give me a home, where the buffalo roam...

...and the liberals aren't welcome to stay.

I live in Colorado. I ain't that bright, I ain't that pretty to look at, and I don't see real well, but I can do basic arithmetic. It seems to me that it won't be that long before the state is ruined by the coastal population influx. I already feel crowded out. I have to do another dime (10 years) in my current career due to benefits carrots and needing to get kids through college, but by the time I get there I want to have plan B lined up for a location in case the liberal hordes have completely taken over.

I am hoping for suggestions on where to go look. I am wanting a few places to investigate in a state that won't turn into a liberal "paradise." Wide open spaces, some trees, ample water. I would love to find such a place in the mountain West, as I love it here (transplanted New Yorker, would you believe). Colder weather rather than hotter. My better half would prefer to be within striking distance of a small city or such, since she is unlikely to put up with spending life in the wide open.

My thoughts on different places thus far:

Montana: seems promising on many levels. Attracting too many coastal migrants?
    Idaho: see Montana
    Wyoming: danged windy. Parts of the state are turning into the northern part of Colorado
    South Dakota: Liked the black hills. Know very little about the rest of the state.
    Kansas: too flat and too treeless
    Nebraska: Promising on many levels, but Omaha/Lincoln are growing fast and the western part of the state is a bit too, umm, desolate.

Anywhere else I should consider? Any specific areas of the above states I should explore? I have time to look and wait for the right property to show up, even as a hunting camp/escape from urban nonsense location. I am biased toward Montana and South Dakota simply because I am a beekeeper and those states have the two highest per hive honey yields, but am open to suggestions.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

go east about 50 miles, its a whole different area.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    go east about 50 miles, its a whole different area.
    I do so frequently, especially during hunting season. The problem is that the cities have the votes to force the whole state into leftist idiocy.

Boolit Master
    I feel safe here in Arizona right now, but the liberals in Phoenix, Tucson, Flagstaff, and soon Prescott, will control this State. I wish you luck n your search.

Boolit Buddy

My great grandfather came to Colorado in 1879, but I too am looking for greener grass.
    Clyde
    COL USA RET

Boolit Master

hopefully we can get the state split in two and then the kali transplants that have ruined colorado can drown along the front range and foot hills.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    hopefully we can get the state split in two and then the kali transplants that have ruined colorado can drown along the front range and foot hills.
    Never happen. Even if the votes were there, a supermajority of Congress would have to accept it. No way. You cannot get more than 51% of those clowns to agree which way the sun rises.

I believe Idaho is looking like the best bet at this point, but as you mentioned a lot of others are going there too. Luckily New Mexico is so poor not many want to move here, but it's getting pretty violent around here and I keep thinking about going elsewhere as well.

I live in Texas and love it but if I wasn't married to a liberal who cannot stand the cold I would
    be calling Idaho my home.

I've only driven through Idaho, but aside from Boisie it was beautiful.

Boolit Master
    I think were it me, I'd be looking hard at Utah. There's an awful lot of Kalifornians moving to Idaho.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    I live in Texas and love it but if I wasn't married to a liberal who cannot stand the cold I would
    Yep, the lack of public land there kills it for me. I love being able to get out of town and do pretty much anything I want to here in NM.

We have hills and trees in Kansas my freind. You just need to be east of Hays to find them. I was born in the flint hills and will probably here. We have become a very gun friendly state in the last few years and the state is too unfashionable with the trend set for the hippys to invade. But if you NEED mountains out the window we are a bit short on those! Good luck in your hunt bud, I too just want to be left alone by those I don't agree with but that is getting harder and harder to do. Desolation has its advantages, I would rather drive an hour for groceries than listen to one loud mouth that doesn't actually own any ground tell me what I can and can't do on mine.

Banned

I will always endorse the Ozarks. Maximum freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    I think were it me, I'd be looking hard at Utah. There's an awful lot of Kalifornians moving to Idaho.
    I am guessing Utah has the same structural water shortage as neighboring states?

Boolit Master
    Don't know about Utah's water situation.

We pretty much decided on the Ozarks nearly two years ago. I like Utah, especially the outskirts of Ogden, but can't get as much for our money in Utah. In spite of the humidity, the chiggers and the ticks, the Ozarks is a good trade for us to get away from the liberal he!! that is Mexifornia.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Maybe expand your area? We lived in Colorado Springs from April 2013 till October 2015 and simply could not stand it anymore due to the high taxes and liberals.
    We now live in Tennessee and absolutely love it.
    But if we had to stay in the west it would be Montana.
    East Tennessee

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

Missouri or maybe West Virginia. Believe it or not, there are still some areas in Pa. that you will be left alone if you choose but also get very nice neighbors. I live 15 miles or so from a college town but trust me it is like a different planet. It was years before most people in the area knew I existed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    I was married to a moderate lib coming from a background in education. In my house she had to watch Fox. She started doing her own research. She’s now at least a moderate conservative. We’re leaving very liberal New Mexico for Gulf Coastal Texas. Like Colorado, the Eastern side of NM is very red but the population is in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Way more population than the rest of the state.

Nobade is correct; lots of public land in NM; about 85% is state to BLM. Not the worst place and the climate isn’t as cold as the more northern states.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned
    Nw wy (except for jackson)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast