RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
PBcastcoTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First attemp from spain. Powder doesn't fix

Boolit Man

First attemp from spain. Powder doesn't fix

I don't know what i am doing bad... please anybody can help me? Powder doesn't fix on bullets....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180723-WA0031.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	224193
    Last edited by el general; 07-23-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-07-23 21.12.32.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	224194

Banned
    @el general
    You are experiencing what "most" people go through when learning. I will try to keep this as simple as I can.
    1) you don't need a thick coat. Even if it doesn't look like it is coating it may well be sufficient.
    2) Static electricity is what holds the powder to the bullet. SO, the relative humidity in the air VERY GREATLY affects the ability of static electricity to do its work. You may notice in the winter, that you get static electricity buildup on your body that causes a spark when you touch something...that is made possible by DRY AIR.
    DRY air is your friend. Some people only do their powder coating in the winter just because of this problem.
    3) There are ways of developing static even when the air is humid and your bullets are not coating well. People are always experimenting with these ways. I won't go into that because ...too much to cover here now.
    3)Some PC powders work EVEN WHEN others won't. In my experience SMOKE'S CLEAR makes a nice thick blanket of covering in any amount of humidity. The problem is ...it's clear. No color. I can't tell which boolits are PC'd and which aren't.
    My advise...Read more...there are tons of threads about it here and many youtube videos on the internet. and DON'T get discouraged...you will be doing well in a short time. It's not a big learning curve.

Are you using the correct type of container? You need a container with a 5 in a triangle. This helps with the static. You may also want to pick up some black airsoft bb’s they seem to also help. For the last word on powder coating, go to the vendor section, and look up smoke’s corner. He is a member here I think he is smoke4320. He has detailed instructions. That is how I learned. His powder works very well also.

Banned
    OK, the powder isn't sticking very well to the boolits. I'm not familiar with what powders you have over there. what I do know is polyester high gloss powders work the best.

You need to build more static for the powder to fix/stick to the boolit.

The container you use should have a 5 in a triangle for best results ( a styrofoam bowl will work)

In the US we use black airsoft BB's to help build static.

you may have to swirl the boolits in the powder longer to build enough static.

Exactly what they already told you ... probably lack of static to help the powder stick to the bullets. Like so many others I use black Air Soft BB's and my powders stick like glue ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Looks like HF red (or equal) and cool whip bowl. Add some craft plastic bead or ASBBs. Leave PC in AC, covered with cotton cloth for a while and shake every so often. Powder is damp. looks like my second attempt at shake & bake. Some OP will slightly warm the boolits, others have had to clean them with solvent.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man
    Ok. Thank you so much for your answers. I use a cilindric container and no airsoft bb... i understand that i need more static... maybe tomorrow y will do other attemp with other container and airsoft balls....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by el general View Post
    Ok. Thank you so much for your answers. I use a cilindric container and no airsoft bb... i understand that i need more static... maybe tomorrow y will do other attemp with other container and airsoft balls....
    One more VERY IMPORTANT THING. This got me when I first started...DO NOT USE TOO MUCH POWDER. Only use enough to cover the bullets. With very little left over that you shake off in a common kitchen strainer. If you put too much powder in with the bullets it will not build up the static.

Boolit Man
    I use only a soup spoon each 100 bullets aproxx.

Banned

I use a tumbler, smokes powders and no bbs. I tried the air soft thing and tried cast buckshot but found it worked just as well without it. I dump about 10lbs of bullets in the tumbler dump a good amount of powder in and let it vibrate for about 15 minutes and there good to go. I add more powder when I don't see a visual layer of powder under the bullets. Shake off in a collator and dump them on non stick Reynolds wrap and bake. Some colors do a bit better then others if looks matter but all the colors cover plenty good enough that ive never had leading. Probably the biggest cause of poor coverage is poor paint not the way you put it on.

Boolit Buddy
    The recycling symbol with the #5 that everyone is mentioning stands for Polypropylene plastic. I'm not sure if they use the same recycling symbols in Spain, but as long as your container is Polypropylene, you should be good

Boolit Master
    Your powder is not even trying to stick.

The problem you have could be the powder. Not all powders with tumble coat, regardless of whether you use a #5 container or BB's; some powders can only be sprayed.

If humidity is the problem, you could put all your components in an Air Conditioned environment where the humidity has been lowered for a few hours then try again. I personally would suggest preheating the bullets to 125 degrees F. then try tumbling; the heated bullets should allow the powder to stick. However do not heat above 150 degrees F. as the powder will start to melt and you will end up with a lead ball.

Use good powders. I (living in Europe as you) started with Smoke’s powders from USA and had zero problems, 30 sec of shaking and swirling to get this

After 2yI still use his powders with great success, just keep them sealed and dry.

I ordered also from UK company and if you choose gloss polyester you will have same results, they have TGIC, are polyester and gloss. They stick

https://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/pages/powders

If I lived in USA I would buy only Smoke’s tested powder because I dry tumble only (aka shake &bake)

Boolit Master

matt colors will not tumble coat. Glossy ones will

lighter colors will look thin but still do the job.

do you know the hammer test? smash the bullet into a cube and if the coating sticks you're good to go
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    Use good powders. I (living in Europe as you) started with Smoke’s powders from USA and had zero problems, 30 sec of shaking and swirling to get this

After 2yI still use his powders with great success, just keep them sealed and dry.

I ordered also from UK company and if you choose gloss polyester you will have same results, they have TGIC, are polyester and gloss. They stick

https://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/pages/powders

If I lived in USA I would buy only Smoke’s tested powder because I dry tumble only (aka shake &bake)
    This.

TGIC powders are highly regulated in the EU so if you are buying locally almost certainly they are TGIC free and can be harder to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDoc View Post
    This.

TGIC powders are highly regulated in the EU so if you are buying locally almost certainly they are TGIC free and can be harder to work with.
    Before I ordered from that company in UK I mentioned, I sent them an email and they confirmed fast: all their powders are polyester and have TGIC. I ordered first clear, mid green and dark blue. I have no doubt lime green, mid blue (aka Eastwood light blue???) and purple gloss would work even better. Same color tones, same coverage even same smell when baking

Boolit Man
    This is how bullets looks after three pc seasons.
    I saw the british page. Powder looks great, but shipping to spain... is four times powder price...

Boolit Man
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180725_224208.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	224313

Boolit Man
    I spoke with joe ban, from hi-tec. 65€ 1/2kilo with shipping. Too expensive for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast