RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Twist ? for .35cal

Boolit Bub

Twist ? for .35cal

Not sure if this is the right section but; I am contemplating putting together a short bolt gun for a walk about piece. Due to long toed bears and such I am leaning towards a short action 358 chambering.Using gas checked 225gr+ cast boolits, ran fairly hard. I am looking for suggestions on twist rate. Any help? Thanks, S.

Boolit Master

Either a 1-12" or a 1-14" twist rate will serve you well and give you the best options from 180-250gr in bullet weight.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

A 1 in 14" twist barrel is the fastest I recommend for 35 cal cartridges. Consider Remington brought out the M700 in 35 Whelan with a 16" twist. The 14 and 16" twist allows replication of factory ballistics with accuracy using cast bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub
    Thank you gentlemen for the quick replies. Next step maybe a stop at McGowan barrels. They are pretty local to me and may be worth starting up an acquaintance. Quick and easy will be a Remage set up but in my heart would be a crf action. Lets see now, dies,moulds, .35 gas checks etc. What fun! Oh yeah,another tax stamp followed by another muffler.............

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have a 16" twist in my Winchester 1894 which was relined and chambered for the .35/30-30 and it stabilizes the Accurate 36-245D bullet subsonic for low noise, with good accuracy using only 8 grains of Bullseye. Full charge hunting load is the same bullet with 30 grains of IMR4895, 4064, RL15 or Varget.

Attachment 224241
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    That boolit looks like a thumper now!

Boolit Master

Lately, been researching this myself. Earlier, I started a thread asking for opinions for a rebore on a heavy-barrel .308 and have pretty decided to go with .358 Win. Looking at what's commercially available 1-14 seems to be the most common...slowest twist offered by Hart, Shilen, Shaw, and Douglas...with only McGowan listing both 1-14 and 1-16. Right now, I'm thinking 1-16 for long, heavy boolits but haven't yet called JES to find out what twist options they can offer.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 07-24-2018 at 05:15 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Is the projected weight of that design 245 grain? It seems like different mold makers use different numbers to designate things such as this. It certainly looks like a hammer for hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Is the projected weight of that design 245 grain? It seems like different mold makers use different numbers to designate things such as this. It certainly looks like a hammer for hunting.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    245-grains is the calculated weight based on the projectile volume and presuming wheelweight alloy.

I use 1:30 tin-lead for hunting and in that mix the bullet weighs 250 grains.

Yes, it is "a hammer" for hunting. That was its design intent.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    245-grains is the calculated weight based on the projectile volume and presuming wheelweight alloy.

I use 1:30 tin-lead for hunting and in that mix the bullet weighs 250 grains.

Yes, it is "a hammer" for hunting. That was its design intent.
    Suitable for .35 Remington also?
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Suitable for .35 Remington also?
    Base to crimp groove length would place the bullet base below neck ofthe .35 Remington and may also result in cartridge OAL being too long to feed from the magazine. This bullet was originally designed for the .35/.30-30, but does work well in the .35 Whelen as a close-in woods deer load or as a coup de gras with 10 grains of Bullseye at 1250-1300 fps. Performs like black powder .38-55 load, but with better penetration.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I've had several guns custom built in .358 caliber and I've found that 1:14 or 1:16 to be the best all around twist. I recently ordered an MGM barrel in .357max and they talked me into a 1:20 twist based on their "experts" findings. They swore it would stabilize a 180 or 200 grain bullet. IT WILL NOT. I'm going to take the liberty here of calling myself an "expert" in .358 barrels. I've been shooting them for fifty years and I shoot a LOT. I spend hours at the loading bench and a lot more hours at the shooting bench just shooting groups with different bullets, powders, primers, etc. I keep meticulous records and I can tell you for a fact that a 1:20 twist barrel will rarely shoot a good group, and never shoot as good a group as a 1:16 will. I should have listened to my instincts and experience on this. I very reluctantly purchased the 1:20 from them based on their continual reference to "their experts" advice. They need a new expert. Their six hundred dollar barrel doesn't shoot as well as any of my other .358 barrels. I'm pretty much stuck shooting lighter bullets with this barrel.

I can validate the above on a 1:20" twist, I have a Green Mountain barrel of that twist on a .357 Magnum BSA Martini Cadet. Very accurate with 125-158 grain factory and short, blunt 180 grain cowboy bullets and the similar 190-grain Hunter's Supply FN even if subsonic, but no joy with any 200-grainer even when pushed as hard as I can load them.

But 1:10" twist 9mm Parabellum gunsmith special blank chambered in .38 S&W is accurate with 200 grain lead UK Mk1 service bullet clone at lowest velocity which exits the 20-inch barrel, about 500 fps with 1.7 grains of Bullssye, no louder than an air rifle, no can required.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 07-25-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    I stopped in at McGowan today and ordered up a 1:14 threaded and chambered prefit, #7 contour at 18" They said eight weeks so I'll have to start gathering moulds and dies and such.

I like the idea of my 1-12 twist, 35 Whelen with heavy, long boolits for really big or angry stuff. Mine stabilizes the Lyman 280gr 358009 or the NOE 35 Thumper, 310gr 360-310 FN and shoots great. It still does very good with boolits down to 200gr. A 1-14 twist should do very well, too.
    Last edited by Yodogsandman; 08-02-2018 at 01:49 AM.
    A deplorable that votes!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've built using both 1-12, and 1-14. Both shot equally well with heavy bullets. Being in NW Montana, I can't see using light bullets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    SAMMI twist ratio for 358 Win i 1:12
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    SAMMI twist ratio for 358 Win i 1:12
    That is based on the use of jacketed bullets not cast bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

I too have been lusting after a .35 Rem or .358 Winchester bolt action. I have a 7mm-08 rifle that I have considered sending out for re-bore, but I can get a 26" No. 4 contour stainless 1:12 Wilson barrel for ~$170 shipped and I have a reamer sitting in a box that would cost less money (but not time).

So would you re-bore or re-barrel assuming you have the skills/tools to plumb it all together yourself?

Are there any negatives to having a faster twist? I intend to just shoot 158-220gr cast projectiles at modest velocities. I might get around to tinkering with the 310gr HP subsonics for fun someday though.

Boolit Bub
    Mc Gowan called day before yesterday to tell me my barrel was ready. I stopped in yesterday to pick it up but found the muzzle was not threaded. Could have been oversight but likely just a communication breakdown, probably my fault. They said it would be done next business day so likely Monday. I thought I had time to find mould and dies but them fellers wasted no time! Less than three weeks from time I ordered. I best get off the pot and get a mould ordered.