Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 7mm "Soup Can" from Midsouth

Banned

7mm "Soup Can" from Midsouth

I ordered one of these a while back, just got around to casting with it and now have probably a couple thousand.

A few months ago, I lucked into a nicely sporterized '93 Mauser in 7x57 and have really been enjoying it, shoots cast well and I like the dimensions and ergonomics of the rifle. I've tried a few things in it, mainly the RCBS 145 grain bullet which shoots well using 10 grains of Green Dot. I'm hoping this soup can will work in it as well.

The main thing I'm hopeful for with this bullet is that it will load well in my CVA Optima Elite in 7mm-08. Most of the cast bullets I've tried in it have to be seated too deeply.

Any experience loading this bullet? I plan to deer hunt with cast in the 7x57 at some point, but plan to use a Lyman 285308 hollow point, but has anybody hunted with this soup can?

Boolit Master
    I’ve this boolit for a m 93 I rebarreled (7x57) but I have not tried hunting with it. I have an old rcbs 168 grain that I want to try on the local piggies; but like your experience it sets very far down in the case. Gas check nearly sits on the flashhole !
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Grand Master

I hate being "uniformed" but I keep hearing about Soup Can boolits......I have no idea what this is !
    Would someone be kind enough to post a photo of a Soup Can...I would like to see one before I go to the reloading bench in the sky .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by swheeler; 07-27-2018 at 11:58 PM. Reason: try this
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Linkie no workee.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master
    In every 7 mm rifle I've tried the soup can in, it has to be seated very deep in order to chamber.

Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I hate being "uniformed" but I keep hearing about Soup Can boolits......I have no idea what this is !
    Would someone be kind enough to post a photo of a Soup Can...I would like to see one before I go to the reloading bench in the sky .
    Gary

Attached are Precision Cast Bullet Design Ultimate images and dimensions of my Lee 7mm soup can mold and how it fits in the chamber of my 280 Remington Browning Medalion.

I haven't shot this bullet yet but QuickLoad indicates that 14 grains of 2400 should launch the soup can at around 1539 fps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee_Mold_7mm_Soup_Can.Jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	224345 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee_Mold_7mm_Soup_Can_134_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	224346 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	280_Remington~R.P._Nickled~Lee_Mold-7mm_Soup_Can~_OAL-2.956~2400-14gr_Load~#1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	224347 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	280_Rem~~Lee_Mold_7mm_Soup_Can_Throat_Lg.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	224348

Hope this helps.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Grand Master

To me that's not a soup can....it's a Loverin.
    H. G. Loverin designed a lot of rifle moulds for Lyman , looked just like the "soup can" , someone ripped off his design....the statute of limitations has expired...just like Elmer Keith's designs have .
    Thanks Tom....pictures are worth a thousand boolits,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I think Oldfeller designed it for his 7-08 Savage years ago here and was a group buy.
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I think Oldfeller designed it for his 7-08 Savage years ago here and was a group buy.
    Correct we had been calling the Lee 113 gr fp a soup can and Oldfeller went with a custom 7 with a similar short profile. It differs from a Louverin in that the bottom band is a different width than the others.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    Gary
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...3-Lee-soup-can

think of a soup can sitting on the counter, it is short and fat, if you look at the rings in the soup can it sort of resembles the grease grooves in the bullet.

Banned

Well, I cast about 3K of these, I hope it works out. Been busy, but I hope to get some sized and lubed and loaded in the next few days and try them out.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    In every 7 mm rifle I've tried the soup can in, it has to be seated very deep in order to chamber.

Ben
    Thanks, Ben. I don't believe there is a man alive who has thoroughly wrung out more cast bullet designs in rifles than you have, so this is particularly good advice. The CVA 7mm-08 I mentioned is a neat rifle, not the kind of thing I would have bought myself, probably, but the wife saw me looking at it in a local shot and it ended up under the Christmas tree. I'm impressed with it, very well thought out rifle, but the standard Lee 135 grain RN is the only cast design I've tried that doesn't have the base below the neck to chamber.

I'm pretty sure the Mauser will do OK with it, but I already have a hunting bullet figured out for it. I've been shooting it quite a bit lately, just plinking off the front porch at 100 yards. I'm almost out of the other cast I had, was hoping this would be a good, general purpose bullet for that.

Boolit Master

I have a Stevens mod. 200 in 7mm-08 that shoots this boolit really well over 14 gr. of 2400. It has to be seated 2.420" to chamber - this puts the gas check WELL below the shoulder.
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"