Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primers....LOL

Boolit Master

Primers....LOL

Guess who was pres when I bought these? 8)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Jimmy Carter or Ronald Reagan? Any way, that seems to ring a bell for when the Plastic Strip primers started showing up in Gun Magazine ads. I always liked the older CCI Primer trays that had 10 primers in a row and touching as they took up far less space in storage and on the reloading bench. Guess they were "Redesigned" to reduce the chance of primer to primer ignition.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

They're still sold that way, so it could have been any number of presidents.........
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Find out what year RCBS came out with the Pro 2000. That should give you an idea. I don't think, it was the 70's or 80's. I think it was the mid-late 90's.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Master

Redesigned to make more money off of the reloader. Now he has to pay a separate tool to be able to use the strips as well as paying for the strips also. I don't see strip primers as a real benefit but I am sure there are others who do and I say more power to them. james

Boolit Master
    Hint: I dont have a machine that uses these! They were all that was available to purchase for a time around here.

Obama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    Hint: I dont have a machine that uses these! They were all that was available to purchase for a time around here.

You were supposed to get sucked in and buy the machine.... Like I did. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jimkim View Post
    Find out what year RCBS came out with the Pro 2000. That should give you an idea. I don't think, it was the 70's or 80's. I think it was the mid-late 90's.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    I believe you are correct. About 1998.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Really the answer to a problem that didn't exist. I loaded many thousands of primers, by hand, on the old Spartan, before buying a set of primer tubes (and later a used RCBS bench mounted machine) You just have to remember that you shouldn't pickup the primers with the same hand you are eating Cheetos with!

Boolit Master

I think the RCBS primer strips came out in 1994. Before the 2000 came out. I remember the strip loading tray and both a bench mounted & press mounted priming tool. Also CCI came out with primers already strip loaded. Different colors for each type of primers. You could also buy the strips separately.
    When the 2000 1st came out it was strip loaded primer feed only. Later they came out with conversion to feed TUBES.
    I had buddy that bought a 2000 with the strip feed. 25 primers to the strip. Said it was a real pain to have that strip sticking out of the side of the press, constantly stopping to add another strip. The strips would break and get shorter & shorter. I think he finally went with the tube feed conversion.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Oh no! What a shame.

I happen to LOVE APS priming. Loaded about 500 rounds just today on my Pro 2000 with the APS. I do most of my priming on my Pro 2000 auto-index press, even those that are loaded on one of the single stage presses. It is fast and reliable. Loading strips goes quickly -- even better to buy them preloaded when they are on sale.

Ironically, RCBS took one of the best attributes of the Pro 2000 -- reliable priming -- and created an Achilles heel with tube priming of the Pro Chuckers.

If you have no need for those empty APS strips, let me know your terms!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I think the RCBS primer strips came out in 1994. Before the 2000 came out. I remember the strip loading tray and both a bench mounted & press mounted priming tool. Also CCI came out with primers already strip loaded. Different colors for each type of primers. You could also buy the strips separately.
    When the 2000 1st came out it was strip loaded primer feed only. Later they came out with conversion to feed TUBES.
    I had buddy that bought a 2000 with the strip feed. 25 primers to the strip. Said it was a real pain to have that strip sticking out of the side of the press, constantly stopping to add another strip. The strips would break and get shorter & shorter...
    I realize that you're conveying second-hand information, but the strips don't "break and get shorter & shorter." That's just not how they work. If the APS mechanism is maladjusted, then the strips can be wrecked by driving the priming plunger through the plastic. Properly configured, set it and forget it. Otherwise, the strips go for a LONG time before the plastic fatigues. The "primer pockets" can get loose just like a brass case.

Adding another strip takes maybe 2 seconds? So 8ish seconds per 100 rounds? Worse than adding a tube of primers?

I also can't see the issue with "sticking out of the side of the press." It impedes nothing as far as working area, but it is right there where the operator can see the remaining primers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    Oh no! What a shame.

I happen to LOVE APS priming. Loaded about 500 rounds just today on my Pro 2000 with the APS. I do most of my priming on my Pro 2000 auto-index press, even those that are loaded on one of the single stage presses. It is fast and reliable. Loading strips goes quickly -- even better to buy them preloaded when they are on sale.

Ironically, RCBS took one of the best attributes of the Pro 2000 -- reliable priming -- and created an Achilles heel with tube priming of the Pro Chuckers.

If you have no need for those empty APS strips, let me know your terms!
    You are welcome to them once I get them all emptied out! I will start a save pile! 8)

Obama would be my guess. The “panic” had people buying everything to squirrel away in their closet vs what they needed to use. This forced others that really needed components to buy what they could use.

I was at a friends reloading business and noticed buckets of the strips and asked why he even had them? They had 4 people poking primers out of them all day, just to keep up with their Camdex reloading machines.

I have one of these hand primers from RCBS. Other than switching out the large/small primer rod and shell holder its very simple and quick to use. It lets me "feel" the primer seat in the pocket. I would think the strip method just adds steps. I just dump a box of primers, shake to flip, then start priming. Not hard and no extra parts to get lost/worn out.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...d-priming-tool

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    You are welcome to them once I get them all emptied out! I will start a save pile! 8)

Thanks! Too bad we are not local to each other. I would just trade you for non-aps primers and save you the trouble.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I had buddy that bought a 2000 with the strip feed. 25 primers to the strip. Said it was a real pain to have that strip sticking out of the side of the press, constantly stopping to add another strip. The strips would break and get shorter & shorter. I think he finally went with the tube feed conversion.
    I think we were both a little off. The first instance I have found in Handloader is #179 (Feb-March 1996). So, perhaps APS came out towards the end of 1995.

Still waiting for a answer.

Wish list. Things my daughter and I are looking for.

Ideal and Lyman HP pins
    Kimber micro 9 mags
    Star die removal tool, 430 die & TP.
    Cocking stud and ejector Stevens 15a

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk1 View Post
    Still waiting for a answer.

You answered correctly....didn't mean for this to become such a deal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast