Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 acp

Boolit Buddy

I am using lyman’s 252435 51 grain round nose that has been discontinued maybe 15 years ago. They do from time to time show up on eBay and here. Was initially worried about sizing it but as cast it fits and functions in both a pre-war vest pocket colt and a postwar colt/ astra. I use a 22 short case for the powder charge. Good luck finding your empties outside unless you put down a shooting mat.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam20 View Post
    Sadly, I did not know of his passing.
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

Great to see other 25 Auto casters and reloaders. The NOE bullet is a Ranch Dog design, the second version; I changed it to a bore rider so that the body could be sized down.

I've shot a bunch of them through my Taurus 25PLY; I carry it while running my raccoon traps. I reload the cartridges on a Lee Load-Master (Lee had a special run of shell plates a couple of years ago).

I use 1.7-grains of Unique, the old Hercules Unique, and use the Lee Auto Drum to drop the charge.

Michael

Boolit Master
    Ranch Dog,
    Thanks for looking in.
    I am sizing my cast bullets to .252" for a .251" Groove L.W. derived Barrel on a Ruger "Single Eight" revolver conversion to CF from RF.
    My Case are running .278"-.276" and I had a Custom Chamber reamer cut to .2795" body diameter as a straight parallel wall cylinder for reaming a new aftermarket 8-shot cylinder (1144) Alloy Steel) originally made as a .22Mag. cylinder for the Ruger Single Six.
    My Original Conversion used a 8-shot cylinder with tapered chambers cut with a Standard .25ACP reamer and every case fired had a circumferential 'bulge' just forward of the Web. I am hoping my new reamer corrects that problem.

With the tapered chambers I have fired 50 Grain JRN bullets ahead of 3.1 grains of BE-86 propellant with an estimated pressure of between 25,000psi and 30,000psi Pmax MAP. I do not have velocity readings on the load; but it caused about twice the Muzzle rise as a factory PPU .25ACP cartridge fired about the same time on the same day. Also, the load had a 'crack' sound through both ear plugs and noise ear muffs that the factory cartridge did not have.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Good News for my Thanksgiving:
    John Taylor notified vi a email Progress report that my .25ACP custom barrel, Ruger Standard Auto Receiver and CF modified bolt were successfully test fired using his Grip Frame.

May Everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday!

Chev. William

Boolit Mold
    Great news Will, please keep us posted on this very interesting project.

Boolit Master
    Happy News!!!

Today, December 10th, I received back my receiver with the Mounted .25ACP custom barrel and the CF converted Bolt along with my Two 'takeoff 4-3/4" Ruger Barrels and My custom chamber reamer, all wrapped and packed with Newspaper and shipping tape in a Cardboard box sealed with Filament Shipping Tape; very well Protected.

The Barrel machining and finish is lovely with a finished length of 8-1/8 inches and the Muzzle is threaded 1/2-28 (UNEF?).

The Thread protector is knurled and finished Blued, the Cleaning Crown Protector is also knurled and finished blued.

John made and fitted a Square front sight that is also finished Blued.

The Color match to the receiver looks exact under interior Lighting, it was already dark out when they were delivered so I will wait until tomorrow to view it in Sunlight, if it is not overcast tomorrow.

I note on the two Ruger "Takeoff" 4-3/4" barrels, the thread is apparently 'clocked' to start about even with the Extractor slot and the 'seating shoulders' are of Two different lengths, possibly to adjust for variations in receiver and barrel machining.

John's Invoice included with the items was dated 11/16/2018 and the 'Terms' listed is "Due Yesterday" But since I mailed the check for the remainder on December 4th, I guess he is happy too.

Now to get an Adjustable Rear Sight installed and make the magazines for the Firearm.

My Christmas Came early this year!

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Congrats on getting the "new toy".

Please do some range testing and share the results even if you have to single load rounds into the chamber.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I am also curious about how much the total project cost, just a "Hmmm wonder if that's a worthy project or too costly and I'll watch vicariously" thing

Boolit Master
    First: I was informed by my Local Gun Shop and Gunsmith that a threaded muzzle on a semi-auto pistol under Current California Laws And Regulations would be considered a Banned 'Assault Weapon'; so I have removed the Threads from my barrel's muzzle by turning them off.

Specific cost to date:
    Used Ruger SR MKII Pistol = ~$300 including transfer fees and taxes.
    John Taylor's machine work and finishing = $432.
    Lothar Walther Barrel blank Remanent = ~$100 (current LW 23.8"x1.1" Cr-Mo .25ACP blank is about $220 plus taxes and shipping added).
    Various shipping and mail charges to date = ~20.

Estimates of future costs:
    Aftermarket "Beretta 950 8 shot magazines ~$18 each and at least two required for each magazine build.
    "Flight Weld" cost to do TIG welding on each Magazine = ~$10.
    Holster to fit made from a reproduction WW2 M1911 Pistol holster
    where basic holster cost ~$40 and
    saddle-maker time and materials to lengthen to fit long barrel = ~$100
    Estimated cost of a 'surplus Duty belt' =$19.

Note: this holster attaches to a WW2 type 'Duty Belt' eyelets via a formed Hard Brass wire hangar. It is equipped with a 'point hinge' to allow sitting or crouching without tearing the leather attach piece. It is designed with a Military full flap to cover the grip and breech area when gun is in the Holster.

I hope these figures answer the questions on project costs.
    Chev. William

Banned

pics or it didn't happen!

Boolit Master
    Per Requests Finally, Photos:

The Modified Bolt Face. Note the enlarged Rim rebate to fit the .25ACP rim and the Centered round firing pin tip.

The top view of the Bolt with recoil assembly removed to show the new firing pin in its channel.

Left side of Modified MKII pistol with its new ~8" Barrel.

Right side of Modified MKII pistol with its ~8" long Barrel.

These Photos were taken by my Friend with a Camera that has a "Macro" Photo Capability.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-20-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    Now that is one sweet looking 25 acp woods gun.

If I could find a spare bolt assembly, working up a 22 ladybug conversion for my ancient 6" Ruger 22 Auto looks more possible than I would have thought.

Boolit Master
    P Flados, I agree it is a lovely piece of work in a simple understated way.

I am wondering if my wrist is strong enough to "Off Hand Standing" shoot accurately as it is capable. I am hoping to be able to hit 100 yard gongs consistently with it.

This, for the time being, is functionally a 'Single shot auto eject' handgun that will require manual loading for each shot.
    At this time there are NO Magazines in existence, that I know of, to feed .25ACP cartridges into this action.

As a side note: the piece of 5/16"x1"x18" A2 Alloy steel I ordered via Ebay is somewhere in the Hands of USPS moving Eastward from San Antonio, TX after being as Close as Santa Clarita, CA for Delivery to me in Sun Valley, CA The original promised Delivery date was Dec. 12th, 2018. Who know when, or if, it will be delivered to me?

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Chev.

have you approched any of the magazine makers about maybe custom making you a few mags?

say..wilson?...magtech? ...others?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    Chev.

have you approched any of the magazine makers about maybe custom making you a few mags?

say..wilson?...magtech? ...others?
    No, I had not thought of that route as past responses seemed to not encourage such custom magazine builds from high production shops.

i will consider trying that approach though.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Beretta America Said not likely As All their Prodiction i sfrom Stampe daznd Formed Flat sheets and they estimate the Tooling to make such a special Magazine would cost around $40,000.00; Far Beyond MY Budget and Finances.

December 27th My Special Effects Friend and I are planning a "Range day" for 'fun and relaxation' with several firearms from .22LR to 38, and possibly larger depending on what my friend decides to bring along.

We will NOT be taking the chronograph as this is intended as "Fun and Relaxation"; not a 'working technical session'.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by P Flados View Post
    Now that is one sweet looking 25 acp woods gun.

If I could find a spare bolt assembly, working up a 22 ladybug conversion for my ancient 6" Ruger 22 Auto looks more possible than I would have thought.
    Watch Ebay for "Ruger Pistol Bolt". I found several offers for Bolt assemblies and bolt bodies only. NOTE, by my experiments it seems MKI, MKII, MKIII, and MKIV bolts will function in Ruger Pre-MK and MKII pistols although some Newer "features ar enot used/redundant. I bought a 'broken' MKI bolt assembly and a MKIV bolt assembly to test out before I sent my MKII Receiver/Barrel assembly and Bolt assembly to John Taylor for conversion and Machining/Fitting a .25ACP barrel.

I find the Extractor, firing pin, Recoil assembly and related cuts and pins all interchange between MKs; EXCEPT the Pre-mark and MKI firing pin does not use a rebound spring or guide as found.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Yesterday i Took a "Range Day" to have some "Fun and Relaxation" yet found tha t a Whole Bunch of People had the same idea at similar time.

Eventually, I fired my converted .25ACP MKII Pistol and My Pre-MK .22LR Pistol; both as Single Shot for comparison.
    - Both Balance about the same, feeling slightly muzzle heavy without any magazine in them.
    - Both are capable of Better Accuracy "Standing Off Hand" than I am at this time.
    - The .25ACP pistol 'patterned' well at 50 yards, a bit high and to the Left. Windage adjustment brought the pattern into alignment but I had to use "Kentucky" POI correction for the High problem as I did Not have a tool to adjust the Allen Socket head Elevation Screw with me. I have Since replaced the Allen socket head with a slotted head elevation Screw. Next time at the range I will be able to adjust it with my normal tools.
    - The Bolt 'recoil' seems to be similar between the two pistols as far as I could tell.
    - The Ejected cases seem to go to the same angle and distance.
    - Muzzle rise was similar, and Low.

The .25ACP Pistol has a .125" wide rear Sight notch, my .22LR Pistol has a narrower notch and seems to be easier to reacquire the target after reloading; so I may change the rear sight 'blade' later.

So far, I am Very Pleased with the way this project is turning out.
    Costs have been reasonable, performance is good to excellent, accuracy is better than I can hold 'Standing Off Hand'; leaving me 'room to self improve'.

Now to make Magazines to Fit!

Best Regards for the Coming New Year Eve/Day and the Year To Come,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-28-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast