Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Improvement of my Good 1oz Lee Slug Load

Improvement of my Good 1oz Lee Slug Load

I made to changes to my existing load. One was kind of by accident and one out of annoyance, but the effect has been great.

I shot the 5 below free standing ay 50 Meters, and as I was just plinking that day I wasn't even trying, so very happy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_E5226.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	224099

My usual Load is : 2.75" Cheddite Cartridge - HS6 Powder - Paper disc - MEC 10z Straight wall Wad - 1oz Lee slug with my "rocket" fin tail Wad.

I have been happy with this and got good groups, but have been having powder leakage past the wad and thats why I have put in the paper disc under the MEC wad
    However I have still had some fakes up in the column if bumped around, so in frustration I used a 12g over shot card disc. This worked.

Name:	IMG_E5227.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	224100

Another thing that changed, and by accident was the hulls. I accidentally bought the 3" and not the 2.75". This gave me a deeper roll crimp.

Would you be interested in selling some of those tail wads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I tried a 6 finned lead slug from a mould I designed and built about 10 years ago. I figured those fins would be better than a hollow base as they would spread forces over the wads rather than wads push up into the HB. At first fins collapsed on slugs cast from ACWW so I heat treated them then the fins didn't collapse but the wads took a terrible beating! I had to put polyethylene disks under the slug to fix that.

The slugs flew okay after all the adjustments but I never got very good accuracy.

Your plastic tail wad is a much better idea as it adds drag and effectively makes the slug much more nose heavy. I like it.

Are you finding any damage to the bottom of the shotcup?

How do the plastic tail wads look on recovered slugs? Any distortion? What plastic are you using?

Most attached tailwads I've seen have stems or cushion sections just like a factory plastic wad and they seem to distort there. Your solid tailwad on the slug seems like a much better idea to me. Any cushion section that can distort is on the discarding factory wad.

Good work!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I too am interested in this tail wad. Please tell us all the details. Presently I can't keep slugs on the man size USPSA target at 50 yards.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Banned
    Are you 3D printing these?

Boolit Grand Master

upnorthwis:

What slugs are you shooting?

What gun?

Components?

My worst experience is with the Lyman Foster slug which wouldn't stay much under 12" at 50 yards (8" was a good group) but even that is better than missing a man size target!

Boolit Master
    Lee 1 oz.
    Rem 870
    24 gr. Universal
    Clay Buster CB1100-12
    Win HS hull
    The powder could go higher but the recoil is downright abusive.
    upnorthwis
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master

Have you recovered any wads? Was will tell a story. If the petals are wrinkled, torn, gone, gas seal blown or other obvious damage that will indicate that the fit to bore or pressure or something is wrong for that wad/slug.

Are you fold or roll crimping?

Do the wad petals stick out past the nose of the slug? If so they should be trimmed to the shoulder of the slug or if there is room in the wad column then use nitro card wads to space the slug out further or select a wad with longer cushion and shorter cup.

Are you using a nitro card wad under the slug? While the Lee Drive Key slug is supposed to allow some distortion of wad into hollow base so that drive key grips for rifled guns, I've found that some wads are damaged by the drive key. Since I shoot smoothbore the drive key is not necessary so I use a nitro card wad under the slug as I would with any other HB slug.

Are you shooting smoothbore (I'm assuming) or rifled gun?

Are you casting slugs from soft lead or hard alloy?

I don't see that list of components in any of the Lee loads listed with their mould instructions. Where did you get the load data?

Did you do a push through your barrel to check fit of slug/wad? You should have a snug slip fit. Ajay (SuperBlazingSabots) recommends about 10 lbs. to push through the bore. Too loose a fit will give poor accuracy and too tight a fit will likely result in damaged petals so poor accuracy.

There's lots of "little" things to sort out when loading slugs. At least that is what I found. Ajay (SuperBlazingSabots) has lots of posts showing good combinations of components and fit to bore. Lots of good load suggestions as well. You will likely need to experiment some to find what works in your gun.

I'd start be checking wads to see what they look like after firing. If they are damaged then try different wads. If not then I'd suspect fit is too loose. Those are a couple of obvious and easy to check items. It may be as simple as changing wads.

Longbow

Hmmmm, I guess that constitutes thread drift! You should start a new thread if you want to get more info and opinions on your load.
    Last edited by longbow; 08-04-2018 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Added comment

If you have a printer, I can send you the model. If not, PM me your address and i'll send you some to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Would you be interested in selling some of those tail wads?

Name:	IMG_1324.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	225008
    Last edited by BigMrTong; 08-04-2018 at 01:19 PM.

Yes, I have tried a few different designs, but this works the best.

Name:	IMG_3988.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	225007

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Are you 3D printing these?
    Last edited by BigMrTong; 08-04-2018 at 01:19 PM.

I think a lot of this tale wads improvements are in making the 1oz Lee slug nose heavy.
    (Although two interesting notes. 1. This wads doesn't make much difference to the Lee 7/8oz at all, and 2. its not just the tail being there. I have printed about 10 different designs now, but non perform as well af the 4 finned version here)

Not a good picture, but a do find a small impression of the bottom of the fins in the wad.

Name:	IMG_3978.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	225006
    I find the wads seperate at about 20 meters with consistency. I always find them in a pile.

I have never managed to recover a slug from the butts. They have been too deep for a quick rummage and digging on the range is frowned upon. I have never found a Tail fin though, so they are going with the Slug. (no evidence of a tumble or separation on the paper targets either)

I think the factory wad is taking the cushion and then letting the fixed slug go. Seems to work well.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Your plastic tail wad is a much better idea as it adds drag and effectively makes the slug much more nose heavy. I like it.

Are you finding any damage to the bottom of the shotcup?

How do the plastic tail wads look on recovered slugs? Any distortion? What plastic are you using?

Most attached tailwads I've seen have stems or cushion sections just like a factory plastic wad and they seem to distort there. Your solid tailwad on the slug seems like a much better idea to me. Any cushion section that can distort is on the discarding factory wad.

Longbow

I tired the CB1100 wads but had wild fliers and the wads weren't to clever on recovery. I think the Cushion is far to soft for the slug and recoil.

I have much more luck with the CB2118 as the cushion is very heavy. (I actually use a MEC replica)

Name:	Capture22.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	225009

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    Lee 1 oz.
    Rem 870
    24 gr. Universal
    Clay Buster CB1100-12
    Win HS hull
    The powder could go higher but the recoil is downright abusive.
    upnorthwis

BigMrTong: The thought of printing wads has crossed my mind. I'm a somewhat less than tech savvy old man. Are the printers as seen on Ebay and Amazon in the under $200 range capable of printing the tail wads you've shown? Thanks Gp

you can with a lot of fiddling and setup. You are better spending 350 to 450 at the moment on a better brand one.

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    BigMrTong: The thought of printing wads has crossed my mind. I'm a somewhat less than tech savvy old man. Are the printers as seen on Ebay and Amazon in the under $200 range capable of printing the tail wads you've shown? Thanks Gp

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigMrTong View Post
    I tired the CB1100 wads but had wild fliers and the wads weren't to clever on recovery. I think the Cushion is far to soft for the slug and recoil.

I have much more luck with the CB2118 as the cushion is very heavy. (I actually use a MEC replica)

Name:	Capture22.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	225009
    Have you used the 12S3 ?? or are the clones better?
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

I just can't get the real ones locally. However I have tried at least a couple of copies, and some were good and some bacd. The MEC were the best I could get.

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    Have you used the 12S3 ?? or are the clones better?

Quote Originally Posted by BigMrTong View Post
    If you have a printer, I can send you the model. If not, PM me your address and i'll send you some to try.

Name:	IMG_1324.JPG 
Views:	63 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	225008
    Pm sent.

Boolit Grand Master

BigMrTong:

Have you tried using a nitro card wad under the slug to prevent wad damage?

That damage you are getting may not be affecting accuracy but then again it may. If 1/8" nitro card wad is too thick try some polyethylene... I used an old Magic Carpet snow slider the kids had and that worked well under my 6 finned slugs. I just used a 3/4" gasket punch to punch out disks then put a couple under each slug. That saved the wads. I'd have to check thickness but I'll guess about 1mm but quite thin and tough. To use inside a shotcup you'd need about 9/16" gasket punch.

Longbow

Got it .. will take a few days as I'm in the UK .. but on their way ...

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Pm sent.

I have'nt no, but have thought about it.

The two reasons I didn't, The damage was small and the wads release cleanly and early, and I wanted as much of the available wad column for the fins as I could get.

BUT, I may as well give it a try ! Small changes to a slug load have a massive difference it seems sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    BigMrTong:

Have you tried using a nitro card wad under the slug to prevent wad damage?

That damage you are getting may not be affecting accuracy but then again it may. If 1/8" nitro card wad is too thick try some polyethylene... I used an old Magic Carpet snow slider the kids had and that worked well under my 6 finned slugs. I just used a 3/4" gasket punch to punch out disks then put a couple under each slug. That saved the wads. I'd have to check thickness but I'll guess about 1mm but quite thin and tough. To use inside a shotcup you'd need about 9/16" gasket punch.

Longbow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast