WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divorce in Alabama

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Divorce in Alabama

Grandson is going threw a Divorce in Alabama

They reached an agreement which they both signed.

That had to sit on the Judges desk for 30 days.

She who left for a new beau change her mind and wanted more and revoked her signature.

Any help will be appreciated
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Banned

He needs an attorney.
    Alabama is an equitable distribution State with fault as a consideration for the court.
    I normally say avoid attorneys if you can, but here, if there is fault on the other party, an attorney will be critical. Get someone well known in the courthouse where this will be heard.
    Get an attorney, yesterday.

Agree if he has assets including a 401k {half will be hers potentially}. Gotta have one

Boolit Master
    Seems like Alabama requires a set period of years married for the equitable distribution to kick in. Seems like I was told 10 yrs, but in this case it seems like a lawyer might be required. Think and consider about how much extra she's wanting - might be less expensive than a lawyer to reach a compromise. BUT - it does take both parties to compromise.

Boolit Buddy

In order to get half of retirement, pension, etc, you have to be married for 10 years. The best piece of advice is to get an attorney. Even if you do not think you will need one, GET ONE!

Boolit Master

He has an Attorney
    Married less than 6 yrs

Had an affair with there friend

He went to talk to her about a month ago cops told him he had to leave. He did
    He was arrest Fri and spent 8 hours in jail charged with criminal trespass over a month later. It took a month.

The jailers and a cop friend, he works out with can't figure why it took them a month.

I have to wonder if there more to this story.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    I live in Alabama. The husband of a lady I worked with decided that the buyout money from her retirement was worth more than the marriage and after some 25 years divorced her. Even though he left her he still wound up with half of her retirement funds. She had to go back to work to survive until SSI kicked in. Tell your son to get a lawyer now!
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

I was a Texas Attorney for 50 years and recently taught Family Law at a local University in the Legal Studies program.

Here is my free counsel to you: Never under any circumstances get legal advice from people on the internet! NEVER EVER.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

No one suggested otherwise. Does not take 50 plus years to figure this out. I only have 30 plus years and I figured it out without self-aggrandizement
    Last edited by jmort; 07-22-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Banned

"He has an Attorney
    Married less than 6 yrs

Had an affair with there friend"

In Alabama that should work to his favor. Whoever the attorney is, make sue they are well-known in the courthouse where the case is being heard.

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    No one suggested otherwise. Does not take 50 plus years to figure this out. I only have 30 plus years and I figured it out without self-aggrandizement
    You just can't help yourself can you. You never miss a chance to take a dig at me. I guess you will be back on my ignore list. I was hoping you would do the same, but it look not. I do not understand your animosity toward me, but there it is. I keep thinking you might spit out whatever is stuck in your craw and learn to control yourself.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Folks sorry for any confusion. I wasn't asking for legal advice. He has a lawyer and won't listen to me anyway.
    I wanted insight on Alabama law.

I didn't know you could break an agreement and revoke your signature.
    I also didn't know you can get arrested a month later when you left on your own and no charges were filed.

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

The thing to remember about divorce is “ At one time the person your divorcing was closest person to you. No one knows you better then them!” Let your lawyer do the talking!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Folks sorry for any confusion. I wasn't asking for legal advice. He has a lawyer and won't listen to me anyway.
    I wanted insight on Alabama law.

I didn't know you could break an agreement and revoke your signature.
    I also didn't know you can get arrested a month later when you left on your own and no charges were filed.
    I'm not sure about other places. But in my county in Florida, the arrests are typically public information. Anybody can log into the clerk of court website and have a look at the case. Any sensitive info is redacted of course, but you can see the charging documents.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lawyer representing your son is doing just that, his client is your son. You would need to consult with your own attorney for advice on relevant local laws in order to get accurate information. You raised a lot of issues.

• Revocation of prior agreement
    • Trespass charge validity.
    • Does trespass charge matter in divorce proceedings.
    • Suspected other party involvement.
    • How much does infidelity matter.
    • Can infidelity be proven?
    • What equitable property division laws apply to his 401k.

His lawyer can't discuss your sons case with you. The internet can't provide real answers, only add to your confusion. That means if you really want to know answers to the above questions your best bet is to pay for an hour or two of a local lawyers time to get half way decent information. Even if only for your own understanding. For the record your son should probably listen to his attorney more than his father. But a lawyer can't provide the genuine concern that a father can. Different job.

I will say if she goes for any sort of restraining order, his lawyer should go for one against her. If he can't threatened or be within 500 feet of her then try to get the same restraining order against her.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I was a Texas Attorney for 50 years and recently taught Family Law at a local University in the Legal Studies program.

Here is my free counsel to you: Never under any circumstances get legal advice from people on the internet! NEVER EVER.
    Even this free advice????
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Divorce sucks, even if it’s no fault of your own. I wish him a speedy and fair and equitable divorce. That won’t happen, but one could hope.

My advice is worth what you paid for it. Or about 1/2 that if you ask my wife!

My ex-was mad as a wet cat about my having a restraining order on her. I also think based on her actions that she was dying to generate police reports or charges to make my case weaker. Didn't work. Man did she hate I had her served with divorce papers. Spent the whole divorce trying to get even, or get as much as she could.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Let see FYI I know about IL law, not Al

Why would I Pay 200-600 for a lawyer for an hour or two for info?
    I was concerned

Of course, he should listen to his attorney.
    There have been Attorneys that deliberately cause the issues to build up their fees.
    Then go out to steak and lobster to celebrate

I thought some guys from Al could give me some insight.
    Those who did thank you

Last and again this is my Grandson which it says in the OP

Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    I'm no lawyer, and certainly no expert in Alabama law, but I am only a few months away from having a bachelors degree in criminal justice. As such, I know a little bit about penal codes. If he has never been trespassed from that property before, and did not refuse to leave once asked to, I do not see how they could charge him with criminal trespass. I also fail to see the logic in waiting a month before charging and arresting him. If it was going to happen, it should have happened that night. My opinion is that it's a BS charge, but my opinion is worth what you pay for it. Are the charges still active and did he bail out of jail, or did they simply cut him loose?

2009 Alabama Code

Title 13A — CRIMINAL CODE.

Chapter 7 — OFFENSES INVOLVING DAMAGE TO AND INTRUSION UPON PROPERTY.

Section 13A-7-4 Criminal trespass in the third degree.

(a) A person is guilty of criminal trespass in the third degree when he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in or upon premises.

(b) Criminal trespass in the third degree is a violation.
    (Acts 1977, No. 607, p. 812, §2607.)
    Last edited by am44mag; 07-23-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast