WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Gauntlet started to lose accuracy

Gauntlet started to lose accuracy

Found one of my bore scopes and took a look . Lead was not the problem . It was lube fouled . Gave it a good cleaning . The problem should be solved . I did note that the barrel has wide lands and narrow shallow grooves . Looks a lot like my Korean barrels . Marvin

Boolit Master
    Are you lubing your barrel or pellets? Hatsan said never use lube in the barrel of any air rifle. I clean my barrel every 100 shots with
    a small amount of ballistol but then wipe it completely dry with clean patches. Just me!

Fly

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I have yet to experience any real loss of accuracy out of my Gauntlet. I have experienced this with my other air rifles which was caused by dirty barrels. I guess I'll have to develop a routine of cleaning my barrels periodically. I've usually just waited till the accuracy started falling off then I went through my check list of possible causes.

The closest thing to loss of accuracy on my Gauntlet has been caused by a slight loss of velocity. After the initial increase of the output pressure of my regulator I was getting velocities in the lower 900fps range. I zeroed my Gauntlet at these velocities and was a happy camper but, I noticed after shooting about of tin of pellets that my accuracy was showing signs of impact shift. Even with the impact shift the pellets were impacting in the same spots so it was more of case of me having to readjust my sights to account for this but, technically this was a loss of accuracy so I guess I'll have to go back in and add another sliver of a shim inside the regulator to bring my velocities to that 900-plus fps.

I had heard of the phenomenon of "Settling In" of the shims by those who had upped their regulator output pressures but I thought nothing of it at the time. Now I see that they were right. I don't look forward to pumping my Gauntlet's air tank up from scratch but it's a small price to pay for getting the kind of performance I was shooting for in the first place.

Thanks for the heads up on the barrel cleaning thing. Since it's Sunday morning and it's basically my do-nothing day I'll go ahead and clean that barrel this morning.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 07-22-2018 at 12:49 PM.

I have been using CPH which come lubed . I have to say that I have shoot a lot of pellets threw the rifle . And should have cleaned the barrel before now . Have shoot a lot more than this between cleanings with my LW barrels . This looked like a smooth bore before cleaning . But it really was easy to get clean . I would rather deal with the lube than to deal with heavy lead fouling . Looked at my SS barrel which I shoot some non lubed pellets threw . And right were the chock started was a small bit of lead that I removed . Problem I am having to over come is bushes in a .177 . Hoppes air gun kit is really a 17 fire arm kit . And with a chock barrel it is to big . Gamo leaves a lot to be desired . Bought a Spika kit from amazon last night . Hope it works out . Looked at the RWS kits but I did not see were they offer replacement brushes . Marvin

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I shoot a Ballistol dipped q-tip with stick busted off from my airguns to clean barrels. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used some cleaning pellets in the past . On lube build up that is not heavy they have done ok . Marvin