RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silicone gun rags

Silicone gun rags

I have a silicone gun rag, sent to me by Ruger. I've not used it, and I cant remember ever using such.

Anyone have opinions of this newfangled technology?

~Bazoo

Bazoo: Welcome to 1970! I have been wiping down guns with these since they came out around 1968-9.

The good thing about them is that they remove you salty sweaty finger prints from your guns before you store them. Once the pours of the metal get filled with silicone it is harder for them to rust.

Leave one in your safe and wipe the barrel and any metal you have touched with the rag and then when you put the gun in the safe use the rag to hold onto it while you do it. Do the wood too.

Really important if you live where it is humid.

I have them in all my Nice Shotgun Cases and when putting the gun in the case where it will be stored until used again, everything gets wiped down before the case is closed.

They really work well! Walmart has the best prices.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I keep one in each of my gun safes too. Just to knock off the finger prints after cleaning or fondling the weepons.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I’ve been wiping down my fire arms with one since the early 80’s. As others have said they work great on fingerprints and such. Oh and no it’s not the same one although they do last a long time just not 40 year’s
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

ive got one ive been using for 20 some years. i wipe down my trap gun with it weekly. im sure the original silicones are gone and its just taken on oils and grease from the gun, but it works great.

Boolit Master

I keep a few of them around and replace them about once a year when they start getting dirty.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    I use them, also use the silicone impregnated gun socks for some guns. For guns that will not likely be used for a year I’ll wear inspection gloves while wiping them down to ensure no finger prints. Probably overkill, but it’s cheap and easy.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've used them before.
    Works well for storage.
    Just don't leave the rag out.
    Silicone leaches out all over the place.

Boolit Master
    I've never used the rags but have all but a couple of guns in the silicone impregnated gun socks. I also use the white inspection/film handler's gloves when fondling and doing wipe-down before going into the gun sock.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

I've been using them for 30-40 years. I keep one in each gun safe and use it when I put a gun away. I also wrap it around any gun I have to move to get to another one so I don't get finger prints on it.
    Chuck

I used to have a major problem with residue from my hands rusting my guns. It had a lot to do with the job where I worked and the chemicals I worked with. It was so bad that after a hot day at the range, the gun would be rusted where I handled it by the time I got home, in a matter of a couple of hours.
    Since I have retired, the problem has nearly vanished. I still use oiled or silicone rags to wipe down guns when I have been handling them. If I miss wiping down a weapon right away it no longer rusts immediately.

Banned
    Go buy a couple of cans of food grade silicone and make your own rag from a micro fiber car towel when it gets filthy throw it in the washer and start all over again been doing this for over 30 years with mine no rust and this is in florida where it rains at least once a day.

Boolit Master

Been using this one since probably late 80's to early 90's, I actually use this on my EDC, the dry lubricant keeps rust and dust off of it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Sentry-Soluti.../dp/B017C220LA
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71okthzjIXL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	224297
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by starnbar View Post
    Go buy a couple of cans of food grade silicone and make your own rag from a micro fiber car towel when it gets filthy throw it in the washer and start all over again been doing this for over 30 years with mine no rust and this is in florida where it rains at least once a day.
    DOT 5 brake fluid should also work.

I am not certain what brake fluid would do to a coated gun. It used to take paint off cars when I was younger.(Please don't ask me how I know)

Boolit Buddy
    DOT 5 brake fluid is at least 70% silicone (probably 95% or more). However, I haven't tried it, so...

Boolit Master

while dot5 is mostly silicone, i sure wouldnt put it on anything i cared about.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    while dot5 is mostly silicone, i sure wouldnt put it on anything i cared about.
    I'm curious as to why?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    I'm curious as to why?
    why would you. besides the fact dot5 has silicone in it, its still brake fluid, and likely to cause harm . way too many other proper choices out there without using brake fluid of any sort.

Boolit Master
    Silicone is very difficult to get off of wood stocks if you want to refinish the wood.

I have been using silicone rags for about 50 years. They are very good for keeping metal clean. I wipe off rifles, hand guns and shot guns but try to avoid touching wood. When new and clean they are excellent for glossy scope tubes.
    When old and cruddy they are good for wiping off brass cases and ammo. The rags will remove fresh powder soot from case necks and will prevent brass and loaded ammo from tarnishing.
    EDG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast