MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingPBcastcoLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: I did it again, new to me 1885 Browning 45/70 followed me home!

Boolit Master

I did it again, new to me 1885 Browning 45/70 followed me home!

I have been on a spree this summer, traded for several 45/70 single shot rifles. I have been selling and trading several great guns I had acumalated over the years, most of them at a substantial profit. Today I traded into a 1885 Browning 45/70, w 28” tapered barrel, and fine buck horn rear sight and gold bead ft sight. It had 3 dings on the buttstock, nothing serious, and the bluing was pristine! I took it out to my carport and tried some 340 grains cast slugs with Unique powder to fire them and at 100&130 yds I was able to hit a softball size target, one of the those 4 sided spheres they sell at Walley world. I managed to hit both of them offhand or get close enough to violently move them, and the targets did not fare to well!

Boolit Master

Now that is a proper 45-70 Single Shot.
    Hope the envy did not come through!

WTG.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Been playing w my dads , Lyman reciver sight it’s a ball to shoot, but I wear a recoil pad even with Springfield loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

congrats on a fine gun! the .45-70 is such a great cartridge that can be loaded for any kinda shootin or killin. loaded with trail boss and 340 grain greasers, my grandkids have a blast with my roller and sharps. loaded to virtual .45-90 levels with 80+ grains of black and 520 paper patched bullets, it's killer at 400 and 700 yard gongs. i doubt it'll ever stop being so popular a cartridge, and for good reasons!

I totally agree with the sentiment concerning the 45-70 cartridge. Also the first JapChester 1885 i got i fell in love head over heels with the general hiwall feel. Some day i will have a genuine original hiwall rifle to play with.

Till then i, like you, very much enjoy my single shot Brownings, Winchesters and Rugers.

zymguy ... i would like very much to see your mounting on your rifle for your peep. This puts the peep hole in just the perfect place for my liking. Also keeps the wrist clear the way i like em. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Boolit Master
    Big Ted, they come drilled and tapped for scope bases on top of the receiver, and two more holes out in the barrel behind the rear sight. I am getting a pretty good collection started, have 2 original Remington rollers, one with a heavy half oct./half round 30" barrel, one with a 30" tapered but still pretty meaty round barrel with MVA long range sights and a Hadley eye cup, pistol grip model, a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps with a 32" tapered barrel, long range and barrel sights, an original Trapdoor made in1884 with a mint bore and Buffington sights, a Wessington and Richardson Buffalo Hunter with peep sights and a 32" barrel that shoots as good as any of those mentioned here, and the 1885 Browning I got yesterday. All of these are 45/70's, all love the Unique powder loads. I also have a swede Husqvarna 1867 original that has been sporterized that is in 12.77x44 or 50/70 short, shoots great!

Yes but in the above pictured 85, the peep sight is mounted on the side of the reciever thus putting the peep rite on the recievers top and leaving the wrist area free of mounts such as Lymans or Marples tang sights.

I like this Williams style as far as function and have really wanted to mount one on either or both the Browning or Ruger #1.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Yes but in the above pictured 85, the peep sight is mounted on the side of the reciever thus putting the peep rite on the recievers top and leaving the wrist area free of mounts such as Lymans or Marples tang sights.

I like this Williams style as far as function and have really wanted to mount one on either or both the Browning or Ruger #1.
    Williams makes/made a receiver sight that uses the two rear scope base holes. I have yet to come across one in my travels, but I'm sure they're out there.

Shooting a single shot rifle is just more fun than shooting any other type of rifle. I really enjoy the whole process of loading the gun one at a time and shooting them. Once I got my fist old Ballard about 30 years ago I was pretty well hooked on single shots. I had over 100 pre WWI era Marlin lever actions at the time, and I sold almost all of them over time and replaced them with single shot rifles.

Boolit Master
    Bigted
    The Williams sight actually mounts like the gallows sight on a Contender. The sight base extends over the top of the receiver and is mounted using the factory tapped holes in the receiver ring.
    I use one on one of my Brownings and I have 2 more that I have never installed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0448.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	224571
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Yes but in the above pictured 85, the peep sight is mounted on the side of the reciever thus putting the peep rite on the recievers top and leaving the wri.st area free of mounts such as Lymans or Marples tang sights.

Last edited by EDG; 07-27-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    EDG

Now that is slick. New one on me ... i am learning one here ... thanks fellers.

Boolit Master
    great rifle and calibre. I have had one for about 20 years, and took a buffalo with it in 2004.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Master
    Williams Gunsight is in my neighborhood, about fifty miles one way. It is a shame I never took the time to get to know anybody up there. They are well stocked.
    Leadmelter
    MI