RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: dies for Pedersoli 38-55

Boolit Master

dies for Pedersoli 38-55

i purchased a Pedersoli high wall in 38-55 which requires a .380 cast bullet. I want to use RCBS dies but they offer standard and cowboy and i was wondering what is the difference between the two and which one would best meet my needs? Would i need to have a custom expander made and if so who does something like that?

You got me thinking about the 38/55 RCBS dies. I have not loaded any 38/55 ammo in over 20 years and I have three rifles in said caliber. I will check the dies out & mic up the expander and do some reloading its a great caliber.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    let me know what size the expander might be

Boolit Master
    I have 3 sets of .38-55 dies. LEE, RCBS Cowboy and an older set of RCBS standard dies.
    Only the RCBS Cowboy seating die will be large enough internally for your bullet. The Lee die can be opened up without too much work.

None of the expanders are large enough. You will need a custom expander from Track of the Wolf or other supplier.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    do you know what size the cowboy expander die actually measures?

Boolit Master

'Standard' RCBS dies will be just fine but you may need an oversize 'M' die to expand your cases for a .380 boolit. I'm using RCBS, myself, for an Uberti Highwall and several years ago had a member here make up a 'custom' expander that allows me to load 'as cast' (.380/.381) 20/1 alloy without squeezing down the drive bands. Unfortunately, I understand that he no longer does custom die/sizer work.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned

My .38-55 shot badly using the RCBS standard dies my Dad gave me. I was shooting the Lee bullet unsized and lubed with LLA. I bought a set of the cowboy dies with the bigger expander plug and the groups with the exact same bullets and charges shrank by about 2/3rds immediately. I'm pretty sure I was squeezing down the bullets seating them in cases that hadn't been expanded enough in the old dies. If it were me, I'd buy those cowboys dies and not look back.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    My .38-55 shot badly using the RCBS standard dies my Dad gave me. I was shooting the Lee bullet unsized and lubed with LLA. I bought a set of the cowboy dies with the bigger expander plug and the groups with the exact same bullets and charges shrank by about 2/3rds immediately. I'm pretty sure I was squeezing down the bullets seating them in cases that hadn't been expanded enough in the old dies. If it were me, I'd buy those cowboys dies and not look back.
    the thing is ...if the cowboy expander dies is say .377 it will size my bullet down too much like yours did.nobody seems to know what it actually measures.in my pedersoli high i must have .380 according to them.

Boolit Man
    The RCBS cowboy dies have two expanders. One is .376 and the other .379

Boolit Master
    if it is .379 that would prolly swage my 380 bullet down too small then dont u think

Boolit Master
    NOE makes expander pins to fit in Lee expander dies. I have several including a .381 and they work very well.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    if it is .379 that would prolly swage my 380 bullet down too small then dont u think
    It should be fine. You want some neck tension. I use the RCBS Cowboy dies in 38-55 also.

Boolit Master
    What rifle u use them in?

Vendor Sponsor

barnabus, you are correct for concern and I agree with everything you have stated.

Go to Buffalo Arms Co and they can provide any size you want with any size mouth flare. They are cheap and will screw into your current Lyman or RCBS die body working as a replacement. They are threaded 9/16th-18 if I remember right.

I make my own (metal lathe) and I have found that an expander plug the SAME size or at most 0.001" smaller is the way to go!
    If you are going to shoot 0.380" diameter bullets, order a 0.379" - 0.383" plug OR go 0.380" - 0.384" You wont be sorry.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 07-22-2018 at 12:13 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    No
    .379 should be ok with thin .38-55 brass but only in a single shot.
    I think it might require more grip in a tubular magazine rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    EDG

Boolit Master
    A buddy of mine bought a Taylors Hi Wall in 38-55 and the RCBS Cowboy dies. We had to open a Lee mold up to .383 to get the rifle to shoot. I don't remember what the expander size was but I had to make a larger one. It was even to small for a .379 bullet, even the sizer was tight.

I wondered if the dies are made to 375 specs. I think something is lost in translation between the old specs and the new components and tooling. If the bullet had been much bigger the brass would not have chambered.

It turned out to be a nice shooter but he's still playing with the powder charge.

Boolit Master
    That is a problem with the SAAMI standard chamber.
    The standard chamber can be too small for a cast bullet in the maximum size bore. This makes it almost impossible for die makers to fit all rifles.

I have an NEF/H&R Target Model in 38-55 with such a chamber.
    The problem is not the dies but rather the lack of engineering skill at NEF. To fix this problem the groove diameter needs to be smaller or the chamber needs to be larger because a groove diameter plus .001 bullet will not chamber even if the dies are perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    A buddy of mine bought a Taylors Hi Wall in 38-55 and the RCBS Cowboy dies. We had to open a Lee mold up to .383 to get the rifle to shoot. I don't remember what the expander size was but I had to make a larger one. It was even to small for a .379 bullet, even the sizer was tight.

I wondered if the dies are made to 375 specs. I think something is lost in translation between the old specs and the new components and tooling. If the bullet had been much bigger the brass would not have chambered.

It turned out to be a nice shooter but he's still playing with the powder charge.
    Last edited by EDG; 07-23-2018 at 05:24 PM.
    EDG