Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: OK, followed the sticky and have a cast of the bore of my 308 Savage ...

Boolit Buddy

OK, followed the sticky and have a cast of the bore of my 308 Savage ...

I am trying to follow these directions here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4308233

Molten lead (bullet mix - not soft lead) inside of a case fired in my rifle (dead primer of course!):

File it flush:

Insert soft lead wire close to bore diameter, and use case to push lead into the right areas. In my case, I used too much of the lead wire and was not able to fully close the bolt, but got a great impression:

I took several measurements:

This was the smallest (not by much):

So given these measurements, is sizing bullet to .3080" to .3085" the proper diameter for my rifle?

Is sizing to .309" or .310" too much? - I would imagine that anything above .3085" would be "shaved" as it enters the "sharp" corners?

Will

Boolit Buddy
    No advice on sizing?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    .308 should work until you have several thousand rounds on the barrel. Then cast again and adjust if needed.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks much. Will start sizing to .308" for now

Will

Boolit Master

I would just size to 308, honestly I would even go back and redo the pound cast correctly this time. That way you have an accurate measurement of everything. If you have a measurement of .3085” then obviously .308” would be undersized for your bore. I personally size to .309, shoot, look for leading, work up a decent load then shoot 5 rounds of that load at .309”, .310, .311 and as cast to see what shoots best. For new production .309&.310 shoot the same or only slightly different and as cast has never given me better accuracy but never bad accuracy either.

Boolit Master
    Short throat - which boolit are you going with?
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Go back and do it right. You should have multiple samples to check your measurements.
    A deplorable that votes!

Boolit Master
    I found with my 116 308 I had to full length size every time or rounds won't chamber my barrel sluged at 308 shoots 309 boolits fine 150/160/180 Lee boolits seated in the neck.I'm lazy I tend to load a few and try em.

Boolit Master

Your Savage .308 appears quite similar to mine: very short throat and tight bore (mine slugs .3075 x .300). I shot the RCBS 165SIL for several years in a McGowan-barreled M700 with a 'blueprint' chamber/throat but those won't allow bolt to close in my Savage...same story with Lyman 311191s - nose too fat. After banging my head against the inevitable, experimenting with different boolit designs and seating depths, I got a long-nosed bore-rider designed for PC (309-188GC-PC) from Arsenal and the issue went away. Still tweaking load development but I'm down to consistently keeping 5 rounds inside 1 1/2" @ 100 yds. and sub-2 MOA at 200 and 300 (off sandbags). Btw, rifle prints sub-MOA with my M118 clones (pull-down 174 gr. FMJBTs @ 2470 fps). Just received an order of pull-down SMK 175s from Rocky Mountain Reloading but haven't got around to those yet.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 07-22-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Also from your cast it appears that the chamber neck is longer than standard. Looks like a .30-'06 length neck on a .308 case...

What caliber was this supposed to be?

You might consider a stop-ring type bullet to take up some of that unsupported neck length.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    This is a Savage 308 cal rifle. Neck looks longer because I used too much lead and was not able to close the bolt.