RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Fermented pickles

Fermented pickles

Does anybody here make fermented dill pickles? My wife likes them (store bought), and I'm making a batch for her using the UMN Extension recipe. I've never done it before, and I'm nervous about the process. However, at week two it appears to be going as expected, and they smell good.

https://extension.umn.edu/preserving...mented-pickles

Moderator Emeritus

Good starter recipe, since this is a learning process don't modify it. Once you have the process down you can start experimenting with adding other spices/veg(onion and garlic are good).

Boolit Master

I've done it- last year and the year before.. It worked. I added red pepper flakes, dill, garlic, mustard seed. I used the long cucumbers that you buy at the store and took the time to pick the firmest ones. Grew my own last rear and they weren't as good as the store bought, they were soft when pickled. Just remember, these are " alive" and will continue to ferment slowly even in the fridge so the shelf life isn't as long as vinegar pickled pickles. They are very good for you, loaded with probiotics that aren't in vinegar pickles.

Boolit Master

My wife and I have been making a fermented lime pickle for years, old family recipe. They are really good, a little sweet for me but on a burger or in bologna salad they are top notch.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Tatume ,
    My aunt made fermented pickles on her back porch in Texas, I've often thought of trying but didn't have a good recipe. I once grew more cumbers than I knew what to do with , my pickles didn't turn out worth a hoot. If yours turn out OK , I might give fermented pickles a try. I have the recipe all printed out. My problem might be finding a place between 70 and 75 degrees to ferment them....inside my house is the only place that stays that cool !
    Where are you doing your fermenting ????
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Hi Gary,

My experimental batch is fermenting on a table in my kitchen. I expect to get about two quarts. If they turn out well I'll make a bigger batch next year. So far they look and smell great! Here is another recipe with additional details. I like getting food-safety information from university extension agencies.

https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/HYG-5342

As a Certified Cajun you might enjoy the other pickle that I make a lot of. They are sweet cucumber pickles with lots of hot peppers, and sometimes onions, sometimes cherry tomatoes, sometimes okra (whatever looks good at the moment). I love them! Right now I'm making them as refrigerator pickles (no hot water bath), but shortly I'll start canning them as well.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Grand Master

Tom ,
    I got sweet pickles down , anything with sugar and vinegar , bread and butter, refrigerator, Quick pickles, sweet relish, hot dog relish, no problemo ! It's the dill pickles , my wife can't stand sweet and is very picky about her dills. She says mine taste too vinegary...she's right, they suck rocks !
    But fermented pickles don't contain any vinegar....Ahha !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

They do have a little vinegar. But they don't taste like vinegar. I tried some of mine today, and they are delicious.

◾4 pounds of 4 inch pickling cucumbers
    ◾2 tablespoons dill seed or 4 to 5 heads fresh or dry dill weed
    ◾½ cup canning or pickling salt
    ◾¼ cup vinegar (5 percent)
    ◾8 cups water

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    They do have a little vinegar. But they don't taste like vinegar. I tried some of mine today, and they are delicious.

◾4 pounds of 4 inch pickling cucumbers
    ◾2 tablespoons dill seed or 4 to 5 heads fresh or dry dill weed
    ◾½ cup canning or pickling salt
    ◾¼ cup vinegar (5 percent)
    ◾8 cups water
    Taste Good !
    Done in the Kitchen !
    Don't Taste like Vinegar !
    I'm going to order a mason jar fermentation lid kit so I can ferment them in Mason jars , the tops have airlocks and will do them on our dining room table , temperature will be correct !
    Thanks for the recipe...this is going to be fun.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Hi Gary,

I looked up Mason jar fermentation lid kits and I believe my way is better. I'm using an enameled Dutch oven. The cukes are submerged, with an inverted dinner plate on top, and a glass casserole lid on top of that to add weight. The weighted plate keeps the cukes well below the surface of the water. Two or three times per week is it necessary to remove the weighted plate and skim the growth on the surface of the water. The plate and casserole lid are washed prior to being returned to the container.

If using jars, it would be necessary to disassemble each one two or three times per week, and then wash the coil spring device, the lid, and the inside of the valve. That looks like a lot more trouble to me.

I have a large soup urn, also enameled, that is the same diameter as the Dutch oven, but three times taller. Using the same plate and weight, I should be able to make 6 - 8 quarts of pickles in one batch. I'm going to use it next time.

Tom

Boolit Master

I've not seen a fermented pickle recipe with added vinegar. I guess that small amt isn't enough to kill the lactobacilli. I've just seen salt water fermented. They are sour, tho.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Hi Gary,

I looked up Mason jar fermentation lid kits and I believe my way is better. I'm using an enameled Dutch oven. The cukes are submerged, with an inverted dinner plate on top, and a glass casserole lid on top of that to add weight. The weighted plate keeps the cukes well below the surface of the water. Two or three times per week is it necessary to remove the weighted plate and skim the growth on the surface of the water. The plate and casserole lid are washed prior to being returned to the container.

If using jars, it would be necessary to disassemble each one two or three times per week, and then wash the coil spring device, the lid, and the inside of the valve. That looks like a lot more trouble to me.

I have a large soup urn, also enameled, that is the same diameter as the Dutch oven, but three times taller. Using the same plate and weight, I should be able to make 6 - 8 quarts of pickles in one batch. I'm going to use it next time.

Tom
    My understanding is if you have a good seal, such as with a silicone gasket cover for the jar, there is no scum inside it. The scum forms from contact with air. The gasket keeps air out.

BDGR

Moderator Emeritus

if the layer is white it is fine, black or green skim it. White is just a layer of the lactobacillus.