Load DataReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Vintage Smith & Wesson Ammo

Boolit Master

Vintage Smith & Wesson Ammo

I found these in a forgot about ammo can. Were these from the 1970's or 1980's? S&W headstamps. Nickle cases.

Attachment 224024

Attachment 224025

I just threw out an empty box like that.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    1973 - 1981 Another attempt by S&W to be all things to Law Enforcement (and to some extent to everybody else). Decent ammo but not great. One of the many items that Smith (offered/ required) sold to stocking dealer so that the dealer would be insured a steady supply of pistols. They also marketed shotshells and rifle ammo. Cases are thick walled (similar to Military cases) and seem to last a long time. I still have some brass in my stash from when I was a PPC shooter and reloaded for matches. Still have a couple of boxes of loaded. Collector's value is not high. S&W collectors like to be able to display a box or two with their guns. HTH

Boolit Buddy
    Was there not a joint venture between S&W and Foichi that acquired Alcan and tried but failed to keep what was and extend the Alcan legacy. Alcan did use Foichi as a supplier for a lot of there products if I recall right.
    Shaune509

The S&W 12g slugs were good ammo. I bought a case when they were closing out. I guess you
    would call it some of first Sabot style slugs. Had a Pellet shaped slug in nylon sleeve type deal.
    The slugs were hard alloy. Through & throughs on deer were common no matter where you hit
    them. I think they were more for law enforcement than hunting. I have a little S&W ammo left
    even a few cans of pellets for their line back in 70s.

Boolit Master
    I have a full box of S&W .357 Nyclad SWCHP sitting in my display case with my other vintage box art.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Vintage? Still shootable made I believe by Fiocchi for S&W.

I still carry 38 chief special 125 grain Nyclads in my 36 size guns. Made for the non-+P guns.

Boolit Master
    Smith & Wesson also made rifle ammo at that time, I bought a bunch of .243 S&W in 1977-8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shaune509 View Post
    Was there not a joint venture between S&W and Foichi that acquired Alcan and tried but failed to keep what was and extend the Alcan legacy. Alcan did use Foichi as a supplier for a lot of there products if I recall right.
    Shaune509
    I have some S&W ammo and brass from that time period that has S&W-F as the headstamp. This would be late 70's.

Came across some 22 short S&W ammo

In Remembrance

Those 12 gauge sabot slugs were the most accurate slug shot from my Ithaca deer slayer/riot gun I had ever used. It also was really good at penetrating car doors. My small dept. carried the 38 S&W ammo.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Binky View Post
    1973 - 1981 Another attempt by S&W to be all things to Law Enforcement (and to some extent to everybody else). Decent ammo but not great. One of the many items that Smith (offered/ required) sold to stocking dealer so that the dealer would be insured a steady supply of pistols. They also marketed shotshells and rifle ammo. Cases are thick walled (similar to Military cases) and seem to last a long time. I still have some brass in my stash from when I was a PPC shooter and reloaded for matches. Still have a couple of boxes of loaded. Collector's value is not high. S&W collectors like to be able to display a box or two with their guns. HTH
    VINTAGE? Are you kidding me?
    Boy wasn't that the truth about forcing dealers to take the ammo to get the guns. I ran a wholesale guns/ammo/sporting goods distributor (Shawmut Distributors - Kittery Maine) around late 75 to late 78 and I had dealers take two or three cases of that ammo and a few holsters in order to get ONE Model 29. You should have heard them scream!
    They sold it at cost and made their money of retail PLUS for the 29. Ah....the good old days.
    We were always very careful how we phrased that. Tying contracts (you have to take A to get B) is not legal.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    When S&W quit, got 1000 each .25 ACP, .32 ACP new unprimed S&W head stamped brass from a SGN ad.
    Recently began loading some of it. Seems great to me....

Also gottalotta 1000 each .380 ACP and 9mm Luger S&W headstamp loaded ammo
    sold "for pulldown only" by Paragon Sales. Dealt with that decades ago....
    Bet it would have shot "just great" but went ahead and beat my brains out pulling it.
    Busted a least one inertia puller...

The Good Olde Days.....

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I picked up a couple boxes of 45 acp - 185 gr. jacketed SWC at a shop in Ft. Pierre S.D. last week. Boxes and ammo were in excellent shape and the price was OK ($20. per box) Thought I would shoot one and stash one for when I do a gun show again (I only do a show every couple of years to help clear the clutter)