Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Lyman 452664, 4 cavities.....

Lyman 452664, 4 cavities.....

Finally got a chance to sort through my buckets of gunshow molds this morning.

Lots of different stuff I've never seen. Thats for a different thread!

Anyway at the bottom of one of the buckets I found a new in the box Lyman 452664, 4 cavity mold. This one is a keeper and the boolits should do well in my winchester 1873 copy.

I have never used a 4 cavity before. My smelter is an older Lee 10lb pot bottom pour.
    Any tips or tricks I should know about using this mold?

Also other than Lyman handles what other options are available as far as the handles are concerned??
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2040.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	224023

Boolit Master
    Can't help you on the handle, as I just use Lyman ones. I love that mold. It casts beautiful bullets. Mine run close to 260 gr from WW alloy, and drop out at a little over .453. My 45 Colt 1894 Marlin CB Limited, loves them. My 452424 feeds with a little hesitation, while this bullet chambers effortlessly. Although the Marlin has a .451 bore, I size the bullets .453.

With this large caliber mold, having 4 cavities, you will get a lot of bullets fast, emptying your pot in short order. Due to the profile of this bullet, they drop quite easily form the mold. I run around 700 degrees on my RCBS Pro Melt.

This mold will get heavy. Depending on your age or health it may or may not bother you. My Pro-Melt has a bar to rest the mold on while pouring. For your Lee you may want to put something down to rest the mold on while pouring. It will make casting more pleasurable.
    Last edited by GBertolet; 07-21-2018 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    With this large caliber mold, having 4 cavities, you will get a lot of bullets fast, emptying your pot in short order. Due to the profile of this bullet, they drop quite easily form the mold. I run around 700 degrees on my RCBS Pro Melt.

This mold will get heavy. Depending on your age or health it may or may not bother you. My Pro-Melt has a bar to rest the mold on while pouring. For your Lee you may want to put something down to rest the mold on while pouring. It will make casting more pleasurable.
    Thanks for the tip, used a chunk of wood to hold the mold. Worked out great.
    In a little over an hour I cast about 230 boolits.
    Man makes life easier pumping out 4 at a time as compared to a single cavity mold.

Happy!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2045.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	224639