Inline FabricationPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 110 gr cast in 30-06

Boolit Buddy

110 gr cast in 30-06

My father In law gave my son his first deer rifle. Remington 700 in 30-06. My son is 12 but on the small side for his age. I have a box of 110 gr cast and id like to load up some light loads to get him into centerfire with as little recoil as possible. Any suggestions???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Good ole 2400 powder (around 16 grains)...any pistol powder will work for those plinkers. I've used Tite group, unique, and hp 38. Be tripple sure of the load...possible to double charge on these and that would obviously be a very bad day.

Another caution...these are super addicting and fun. I can't get enough of the light plinkers...dead on accurate zero recoil or report (about like a 22 lr) and fun. You'll find you never loaded enough after your done

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Custom Mold Manufacturer

11-12 grains of Unique will work very well.

Boolit Buddy
    Echoing the above: 2400 is good for faster loads. 10 to 12 grains Unique slows them down a bit. If you want to go slower and quieter go with Bullseye. Start with 5 grains, reducing the charge .2 to .3 grains at a time till you start to lose accuracy or the boolit stays in the barrel. Have a cleaning rod with you when doing this development. These ultra light loads are referred to as "cat sneeze" or "mouse fart" loads. If you do cat sneeze loads in a rimless case, like the -06 or 308 you will need to open the primer flash hole to prevent setback of the shoulder of the case. Mark these cases and do not use them for full power loads. Rimmed cases like the 30-30 do not need to have their flash holes opened. 2400 and Unique load recommendations above do not need flash holes opened. I personally have loaded 3.2 grains Bullseye in a 30-30 under a 150 gr boolit. Fine accuracy to 50 yards. Report is akin to a 22 LR.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I have titegroup on the shelf... any idea on initial charge weight? Do you use any filler in the case?

All my 30cals. I had set up to shoot like a 22lr that way when I go in the woods with that one rifle .I can shoot small game with it and then just change the cart. and use a bigger boolit for like coyote or what ever.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    This link is to a sticky in the CB Loads / Military Rifles Forum on this site - you'll get some good information from it

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article

I don't load for the 30-06 but I do for the 30-30 and 8 X 57 Mauser in "reduced cat sneeze loads". In the 8mm, I use a 120isn grain boolit and in the 30-30, a 11ish grain cast boolit. I read the above sticky before I got started, got some great info out of it and then started to develop loads for both of the above rifles. I tried Bulls Eye, Unique and Red Dot - I finally settled on Red Dot as it gave me the best accuracy in both of my particular rifles - it will vary for others I'm sure but any of the above powders will work well for what you want to do. All I do is tumble lube my boolits and they work well as I'm not pushing them fast. You ought to be able to work up a load with any of the powders mentioned that he'll be able to shoot all day long and not suffer from the recoil. Reduced loads like that can be a barrel of fun! Enjoy and have fun - you'll get some good father/son time as well!

EDIT: I'll add that I don't use fillers either - have never had issue with powder position.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 07-21-2018 at 12:59 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    No fillers here with Bullseye or Unique. Initial charge weight with Titegroup: no idea.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 10sandxs View Post
    Thanks guys, I have titegroup on the shelf... any idea on initial charge weight? Do you use any filler in the case?

No filler, try 3.5, 3.7 and 4.1 gr titegroup. If using the cases again with this load you might designate some cases for such loads to avoid the case headspace being set back with each firing. Such will lead to misfire and failure to extract. Drill out the Flash hole with a, not larger than, #28 drill. Other cast bullet loads may be safely used with such cases.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    No filler, try 3.5, 3.7 and 4.1 gr titegroup. If using the cases again with this load you might designate some cases for such loads to avoid the case headspace being set back with each firing. Such will lead to misfire and failure to extract. Drill out the Flash hole with a, not larger than, #28 drill. Other cast bullet loads may be safely used with such cases.
    I've used 3.8 of Tite group no alteration to the flash hole needed though with such low loads it prob couldn't hurt. Tite group ignites easily enough and is not position sensitive per hodgedon. It's a fast powder and low desnsity charge will give possibly to double charge and not even be able to tell...so be careful and if in doubt poir it out try again

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I haven't tried cast in my 06' yet but have loaded 125 gr nosler ballistic tips. The light bullet gave me little recoil cruising around 3400 plus fps. Good pronghorn round. Downloaded the bullet would probably stay together better and have less recoil. Good second option if you can't get cast to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys, I'll get some starter loads going.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 10sandxs View Post
    Thanks guys, I'll get some starter loads going.

You wont be disappointed. Enjoy