RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Lead intro

Boolit Buddy

Lead intro

Met a fellow at the range this morning. Found out he is a Army recruiter and lives just a few miles from me. While spotting for each other I mentioned I also shoot cast. After awhile I went to the truck and got my Rem 700 in 30.06 along with my NOE 311299 loads. He eyed them with a little skepticism and wondered out loud if they would be accurate. I assured him they were accurate just slow (1900 fps).

We started at 300 yards and took turns ringing steel. Then it was 50 yards more and 50 yards more and so on until we were at the 600 yard steel. He was having a blast watching the trace and kept commenting the bullet looked like a boat going down range. I told him that's why I call them my cruise missiles. He got a kick as he matched me ringing steel at every berm. That 202gr bullet would really bong the target and set it swinging. Lots of smiles and laughs by both of us. He was so into shooting lead that we went through almost 50 rounds while his own rifle stayed in the rack. At first he was concerned about the money we were burning up in ammo. I laughed and told him they might cost me 7 cents a round so don't worry keep shooting.

The seed has been planted, I wonder if the lead fever will take?
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master

The folks on this site are pushers. The first taste is free, soon you are eyeing the wheel weights on your friends cars.
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Buddy
    I took a friend out today and shot up a bunch of powder coated cast lead 9mm ammo. He was a little worried about shooting so much of my ammo. I told him don't worry, it's cheap to load.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    The folks on this site are pushers. The first taste is free, soon you are eyeing the wheel weights on your friends cars.
    Haha...."He won't miss these!"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Hehe

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Yes it is good to get the unknowing into cast bullet shooting . Last week I was out shooting at a friends place had my old 94 Winchester just plinking with my favorite 6 gr Bullseye load . His wife who is a small woman and recoil shy never shoots anything more than her 22. I let her try a few shots . The hook was set ! All she kept saying was it was just like her 22 and makes a bigger hole . low noise and low recoil and so much fun who wouldn't like it .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Several years ago a fellow preacher asked me if he could go shooting with me. I lived in southern Ohio then and he lived in northern Ky. One trip to the range was all it took. He now trains instructors who teach CCDW here in Ky. He has retired from formal Ministry and makes a great retirement living teaching all areas of the shooting sports and CCDW. He has invested heavily in boolit-casting equipment, reloading equipment, etc, and teaches advanced reloading for both black and smokeless. Never know where things will lead. Also have a number of men and young men in the churches I have served who are now into the lead habit. Some have moved into the big time in terms of competition. All I do is load up a gaggle of ammo I have cast and loaded and take them along and allow them to have a blast. Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 07-21-2018 at 10:21 PM. Reason: addition

Boolit Master

Funny when you take the friends out they always feel bad. I tell them if it means that much to them to just slide me a 20 and help me pick up brass. As we leave the range i will stop and get another pound of powder from the desk with that 20 bucks. It will replaced the 500 rounds they shot and then some lol.

Every time i go shooting my lead bullets get looks and it always starts a conversation and leads to new friends.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    Funny when you take the friends out they always feel bad. I tell them if it means that much to them to just slide me a 20 and help me pick up brass. As we leave the range i will stop and get another pound of powder from the desk with that 20 bucks. It will replaced the 500 rounds they shot and then some lol.

Every time i go shooting my lead bullets get looks and it always starts a conversation and leads to new friends.
    heh, I enjoy the look on their face when we blow thru a few hundred rounds like nothing . I like takings friends to the range, it is usually more fun than going myself.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    Enablers. The word is enablers. It doesn't sound as evil as we really are!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Just don't for get to mention all the money spent on equipment as we "save" money... second thought don't say anything....my wife might find out lol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by funnyjim014 View Post
    Just don't for get to mention all the money spent on equipment as we "save" money... second thought don't say anything....my wife might find out lol
    I'm so lucky my wife gives me zero grief about hunting, fishing or any other type of outdoors stuff. She actually took it upon herself to get me a RCBS progressive when she saw how slow I was with the rock chucker. She likes to shoot as well so maybe that was the actual underlying reason for the upgrade. Either way she's a keeper.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Friends call me Pac View Post
    Met a fellow at the range this morning. Found out he is a Army recruiter and lives just a few miles from me. While spotting for each other I mentioned I also shoot cast. After awhile I went to the truck and got my Rem 700 in 30.06 along with my NOE 311299 loads. He eyed them with a little skepticism and wondered out loud if they would be accurate. I assured him they were accurate just slow (1900 fps).

We started at 300 yards and took turns ringing steel. Then it was 50 yards more and 50 yards more and so on until we were at the 600 yard steel. He was having a blast watching the trace and kept commenting the bullet looked like a boat going down range. I told him that's why I call them my cruise missiles. He got a kick as he matched me ringing steel at every berm. That 202gr bullet would really bong the target and set it swinging. Lots of smiles and laughs by both of us. He was so into shooting lead that we went through almost 50 rounds while his own rifle stayed in the rack. At first he was concerned about the money we were burning up in ammo. I laughed and told him they might cost me 7 cents a round so don't worry keep shooting.

The seed has been planted, I wonder if the lead fever will take?
    Awesome!