MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Decent but not heavy load for 45-70 cast

RICH
    That is the most sensible load I have seen on these post.
    I don't know if these fellers are trying to kill them selves or a DEER

Boolit Mold
    I shoot a lot of BPCR and love to plink with my 1886 too. Pushing a 45-70 fast to flatten the trajectory is folly. Unless hunting large dangerous game a faster 45-70 will only make a larger hole in the ground on the off side of whatever you just shot.
    A mild recoiling easy shooting 45-70 will kill anything that walks the North American continent.
    IMHO
    That being said I don't have access to my loading data at the moment but really like reloader 7 for 45-70 hunting loads, from 330gr to 405gr bullets.
    Todd

Boolit Master
    400 gr @ 1300 fps will go lengthwise thru a whitetail and keep on going.
    easy on the shoulder, less than a 12 ga slug.
    any faster and it just increases the speed it has when it exits the back side of the deer.

Boolit Buddy
    i think ive settled on my pa deer/bear load. noe 315-.460 15gr unique. im guessing 1200fps. it groups best in a ruger#3 and a handi rifle. but i have not killed anything with it yet. good luck on your hunt. irishtoo

I would suggest the Lee 340fp over Unique at around 1400 fps. Fun to shoot, will kill whatever quite dead. Maybe try it next year since you've figured out your 4198 load already. I'm learning 38-55 and in my 6.5 lb Win 94 the recoil difference between between a max load of Unique and a mild load of 3031 is wierd- the 3031 load is only about 150 fps faster but kicks a LOT more. Good hunting to you, WendyJ. And your husband lol.
    Thomas

Thanks all. Seems 15.5 is my accuracy load also using Unique. Jump to 16.5 and looks like shotgun pattern instead.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had great results using 15.0 Unique and the RCBS 310 gr GC or Lyman 457191 at 295 gr. very accurate and easy on the shoulder. Will drop any deer or black bear. Good luck with your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthMoccasin View Post
    I have had great results using 15.0 Unique and the RCBS 310 gr GC or Lyman 457191 at 295 gr. very accurate and easy on the shoulder. Will drop any deer or black bear. Good luck with your hunt.
    Plan on trying it out this Saturday. Hey North Moccasin , I couldn't help but notice your user name. My husband is from Hilton area. I noticed the Moccasin in you name which would be Moccasin Gap to him in SW VA. You anywhere near there. I think he graduated from Gate City High back in late 70s.
    Last edited by wendyj; 10-19-2018 at 09:06 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123