Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So how old is lead type that has swastika's in it?

So how old is lead type that has swastika's in it?

Found some swastika's and American flag type blocks in a bucket of mono/foundry type. Also some religious symbols such as cross and crown, or star of David. Wonder if that means the type is from the 40's or late 30's.
    Some others symbols that look like they might be a book and lamp design. Also CARE in a circle. Anyone have ideas on the types age.

Which brings up second question. What works to clean type face? Without being destructive. Many need some cleaning to really see well.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    Do you have any pictures?

Banned

Don't know about the age of the type but you might try paint thinner or as a last resort, acetone, to try and clean the type. Use gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    Do you have any pictures?
    Not yet. I just started finding it going through looking for printers decorations and the letters for "RTFM!", I want to make a paper weight for work. If I get it cleaned up a bit this weekend I will take some pictures.

Sort of a surprise to be booking along looking for decorative trim type and suddenly find a swastika, then another. These are the bits of history I tend to set aside rather than melt.

I was thinking "dishwasher" but then I thought "brain damage" if not from the lead itself then from what dear wife might cause with a skillet if I did anything that stupid in her kitchen. I'll try some soap and water to cut the dirt then nitrile gloves and some paint thinner. I have that on hand in decent amount.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Banned
    the type could be from any time they used the linotype presses. Could someone have done an editorial on the war or?

Acetone.....AKA to printers....... Type Wash....may want to let them soak a while

Swastikas are a symbol of religion and divinity. They were appropriated by Hitler for some reason which killed their reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by Airman Basic View Post
    Swastikas are a symbol of religion and divinity. They were appropriated by Hitler for some reason which killed their reputation.
    The reasons are put forth here. Has to do with racial purity and the idea that the German race is descended from the Aryan race. https://www.ushmm.org/wlc/en/article...uleId=10007453 I knew of an Indian version that predated WW2 which had the arm ends different. An extra bend but this page shows several variations. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...onNaziSwastika

I'm pretty sure an American printer wouldn't be using them to print hymnals or come to church on Sunday advertisements.

Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    Acetone.....AKA to printers....... Type Wash....may want to let them soak a while
    Thanks. I should have some around. Or can steal wife's she uses as nail polish remover

Boolit Grand Master

I have several buckets of various type that I'll probably never use. I should dump them out and look through them to see whats in there. Everything from little tiny slivers to some fairly large blocks.

Boolit Buddy

Sound like very cool pieces of history. Definitely would not melt those down. Would appreciate pics!

Swastikas were used a lot in prewar literature. Boy Scout manuals were full of them, literally. The inside binders of some were top to bottom swastikas. The war changed all that. Hence, I'd say your load of lead was prewar vintage stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    Keep the historic symbols and don't melt them. Frankly, too much historic type has already been lost (and I buy and use linotype metal -- you can't preserve everything."

Boolit Grand Master

The swastika was also the Indian Good Luck symbol on all the products of the Buffum Tool company until the 1930's. I have some bearing scrapers so marked. They were on a gun show table as Nazi torture implements. I got them cheap when I told the owner what they really were. Here they printed with linotype until about 1970 or so and the local printer still has over a ton of type faces going back to the 60's at least.

Boolit Master
    My cousin had a Craftsman style home in Sharon, Pa that predated Adolph. The entrance foyer tile floor was inlaid with swastikas.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." - Ernest Hemingway

Banned
    I recently bought some tiny wire gauge taps with a card type multi die on eBay. It had a swastika on it. I don't know why. Must have been the symbol of a tool company. Maybe that Buffum place in India?

Boolit Master
    Old coal burning Burnham boilers also had them, they were cast close to here in Irvington NY That plant opened in 1921 although the company started around 1850. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2c/d4...c2fe9a54d2.jpg
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 07-24-2018 at 09:54 PM.

Boolit Master

I showed my ignorance one day when visiting the Birla Mandir temple in Hyderabad, India. I noticed that there were small swastikas in a few obscure locations on the outside of the temple. I concluded that some racists had done what racists do. I called attention to the swastika to my host, who gave a look like, "yah, so, pretty normal." I figured that maybe he didn't know much about the Nazis, so misinterpreted the significance. I was pretty ignorant, no question.

Boolit Master
    Also, check if the S are backwards; would be a good indicator to their history or significance.

The swastika emblems in the type are aligned horizontal and vertical. Nazi emblem is cocked 45* off from the Buddhist version. Nazi's might not always have them that way but most other cultures have the arms horizontal and vertical rather than at an angle the way the Nazi's did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast