RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New Ruger 7.62X39 bolt

Boolit Master

New Ruger 7.62X39 bolt

Well, I'm on the hook for one of Rugers M77's in 7.62X39. The one question I have is: Will a regular production M77 stock swap on in place of the cosmetically challenged skeletonized synthetic one?

My brother actually prefers the synthetic one on it, and said he would buy me a new walnut one from Ruger, I just want to be sure I get the right one. Thanks.

You are talking about a Ruger M77MKII right? If so then the current MKII short action wood, or plastic stock will fit just fine. The difference in the guns is only a filler block in the magazine, bolt face dimensions, etc.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reply. I have done a little searching, and it appears these were last made about 2001. I was hoping it took a standard stock. It also appears they were made with 2 different barrel groove dimensions, I guess a slugging is in order. Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master

Tooooo bad Ruger does not make this in a short action like that Mini-Mauser action Interarms imported fron CK some years ago...

Boolit Master
    CZ makes a small action 7.62X39 bolt, and I gave it some serious thought. This one was in stock, and 370$ brand new, so it won out. It doesn't have sights, so it will need to be scoped, which is never an inexpensive addition. It may be a while before I can shoot it.

Boolit Master

I'm a fan of the MkII 7.62x39

I bought one several years ago, used. I have an el cheapo 3x9 on it until I can get a good one. But it shoots good enough with 123 SP ammo to kill my first hog with last year. It is very light and handy. It doesn't ever filter very far to the back of the safe. Enjoy!

Doc

Boolit Master
    Good to hear Doc, I have high hopes for it, as I've always liked the cartridge. The shop has 2, a 20" and a 22". I got the 20. If it shoots well, the 22" might start looking good! It's a good thing this shop takes payments!

Smile

I'd love to have a little Mannlicher-stocked "Mini-Mauser" carbine in this caliber. Zastava makes one, but it's not imported to the U.S.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    I'd love to have a little Mannlicher-stocked "Mini-Mauser" carbine in this caliber. Zastava makes one, but it's not imported to the U.S.
    I wonder if it's the same basic rifle as the CZ? If so, I wonder if the stock and end cap is available? Kinda the hard way around, but it might work.

I have a CZ carbine...nice little rifle. It shoots pretty good with the Lee C312-155-2R and the GB 311407 clone...but...

I have one BIG gripe with it...it balances right at the magazine. Carrying it for any length of time is a PITA. Even with a longer action the M77 may be a lot handier in the field.

Maybe one of Junior's Saddle Ring Slings would be the way to carry this thing...hmmmm...

Jerry

Boolit Master
    I have a CZ 527 American in .223 ....... and would not hesitate on a CZ in 7.62 X 39 ......

Who is making the Ruger .......... Ruger? or is it imported like the less expensive Remy's of late?

Three 44s

Ruger produced limited runs of M77MKII's in 7.62x39 on the short action.

Boolit Master
    I own both the MiniMauser and the CZ 527. They are definetly not the same rifle! I have owned three of each and consider the CZ to be a much better buy. The CZ has the best trigger going. By the time that you install a decent trigger in the MiniMauser you have just about the same money invested as if you had bought the CZ originally. Probably much more now that Remington has taken over distribution and raised prices. All three CZ's also shot much better than the MiniMausers. Even after stating the above I must admit that that I love the MiniMauser. The one that I own now is chambered to 223 and is too darned light. That scrawny llittle barrel looks like a pencil. I want to replace it with a slightly heavier barrel chambered to the 25 Copper Head, aka, 25 Wooters Tooter, aka 25-222. Then make a Mannlicher stock. A number of years ago I purchased several Ruger tips for this very purpose. Ricochet, eat your heart out! Neil

Boolit Master

Remington 799

I saw that the Remington 799 mini Mauser was going to be imported (made by Zastava) in 7.62x39. One of my friends is waiting anxiously for that to hit the shelves. I have a Charles Daly Zastava .22 bolt gun that I like very much so it ought to be a dandy little rifle.

Doc

Boolit Grand Master
    I have one of the Remington 799's in 7.62 x 39. Only had it to the range once and the rear action screw snapped, after less than 30 rounds, and the recoil damaged the stock.
    Remington replaced the stock, but had to get the stock screw from EAA. Ordered an extra front and rear screw and asked them to replace the broken screw. They didn't send the extra screw, only a front and rear and charged me $8.50 for each, plus shipping.
    Haven't shot it yet, but kind of left a "bad taste" if you know what I mean.

If you buy a Remington, check the action/stock fit first. You might need to do some "bedding" before you shoot it, so the same thing won't happen to you.